MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

Your Thoughts on a "First Year" Production Car...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Thoughts on a "First Year" Production Car...

I've always been leery about buying a first year production car as they typically need to have some bugs and issues to work out. But then again, how often does a mid-engine Corvette come out?

I'm in the market next year for a new Corvette (a retirement gift to myself) to replace my 2010 GS, so the ME certainly has me intrigued. I'm sure that GM and other car manufacturers have certainly improved their batting average on first year production cars, but I'm wondering if those of you that have more insights into GM production, or experience, or a historical knowledge perspective of first year production cars can chime in on their expectation of how the 2020 ME Corvette might fare.

I appreciate your insights!

I have a 2014 Z51 well loaded which was built in the first 2000 Corvettes. I have had absolutely zero problems with this car. I never have had to take it in for any problems. The "first year" myth is dead!

Comment

Tobasco, We purchased our 2014 C7 Masterpiece off the showroom floor and it is still in excellent top performing running condition. Minor issues for the first year run of the generation, but our Chevrolet service department had those squared away ASAP. I would without hesitation purchase a C8 Masterpiece ME during the first year of release.

SF
      Rick

Comment

We have always bought a second year of a Corvette generation. At the same time as noted above, many have bought a flawless 2014 Corvette — not had a single issue with it since they bought it. A friend, a member of this forum, luckily recieved the very first regular-customer C7 (the day after Rick Hendrick got his). Here is a picture of him the day he is driving it away from the dealership, on September 20, 2013. He is still grinning ear to ear driving that car. We have many other friends who also got a very early first year C7 and are experiencing miles of smiles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	97D5921D-EC06-47D7-BA9F-A8F382F85DBA.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	683.2 KB
ID:	1710

We got a first week of production 2015 Z06. A Z06 has around 750 new parts different from the Stingray, and it has been an outstanding car — driven it already to half the states.

So while some might be hesitant to wait “until the bugs get worked out,” we are not, and are getting as early a ME as we can.
        GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

My 2015 Z06 vert in early January was one of the first. No problems of any kind. Plan on keeping it and adding an early RME next year. Only reason to delay is if I decided to wait for a higher performance version.

I’m getting to an age where buying green bananas is risky! ?

Comment

That was a funny last sentence. Here’s to your joining me and some friends who are getting our C12 Corvette Museum Delivery on my 100th birthday. (Only 29 more years for me — but not concerned, for my last new Corvette I am buying will be on my 111th.)
            GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

So back in the old days, I would never buy a first year car. Even third year cars had pretty shoddy build quality, and first year cars tended to be awful. But modern manufacturing techniques are certainly better, and auto makers certainly pay more attention to quality than they used to.

OTOH, the ME is going to be a VERY new car, with a lot of new components put together in new ways. GM has no real recent experience with ME cars, and I wouldn't be surprised if there are more teething problems than with most new cars. I, personally, would hold off on a first year Corvette ME.
              SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
              >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

That is a very real consideration meyerweb, and I know you are not alone having that perspective. I respect that view totally.

I remember having a conversation with one of the top Corvette team members at the BASH in 2013, when for most, this was going to be their first seeing the car in person experience. I got in early (found a unlocked corridor door), and walked up to the two cars. In there was a GM Manager, who came up to me, asked me, “do you like the car?” I said “love it.” He then asked if I had already ordered one. I said no. He said, “may I ask you why?”

I said “sure; I always get a second year of a Corvette generation, and even if you are 99% perfect, which I expect, with 5,000 new parts on the car, that still potentially means 5 visits to my dealership. And I will be getting a next year Z06.” (Which of course was not yet officially announced.)

He looked around the very large conference center room to see that none of his colleagues would overhear his response, saw it was still just he and me, and said, “I understand.” He added, that “we believe we will sell every one we can make, and while I cannot talk about future potential product (ah yes, those three oft-repeated words), I am glad you will be getting a second year C7.”
                Last edited by John; 07-13-2018, 04:42 PM.

Comment

I have no concerns with ordering early production cars, including of ones that are virtually a totally new (design/engine/technology) car. I purchased RedHot, a C7, one of the very early build cars and drove it back (a couple of thousand miles) from NCM in October 2013. Now after more than 4 years, it has been nearly trouble free. My XTS Platinum was one of the first one's released to the public and similarly virtually trouble free. Another example was my STS when they totally redesigned the car. I ended up getting literally the first one manufactured and released to the public. Again, another trouble free car.

I have had great experiences doing this. Sure, every once in a while there was a new model hiccup, like the infotainment screens in the C7, but they worked it out and it never impacted the great pleasure I got from purchasing these cars as soon as they were available. In fact, I think often they take more care in trying to ensure early adopters will have great experiences and spread the good word.
                  Enthusiastic owner of 'RedHot' Prod.Wk 7 Oct '13 Museum Del. 29 Oct '13
                  Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum
                  Web site: https://www.daumphotography.com/
                  blog: https://insight.daumphotography.com/

Comment

As the owner of an early 2014 C7, I will state that I am not at all worried about bugs and mechanical problems with early production Corvettes. It the tweaks and additional features that often do not accompany first year models. Think...PDR, cameras and Z06 models followed by the Grand Sport and ZR1 that only us first year owners can dream about. I'll probably sit back and wait and drool on the early released ones on the road.
                    Last edited by noxqq; 07-16-2018, 09:08 PM.

Comment

I bought a first year C6 Z06 and that car was bullet-proof. I bought a second year C6 ZR1 (only cuz I couldn't get my hands on a first year), and that car has been bullet-proof (still have it). I bought a first year C7 Z06 and that car has been bullet-proof (still have it). Quality in manufacturing has increased quite a bit in the last decade or so. The only slight pause I have with the ME is it will be whole new ballgame. I'm wanting a high hp variant. And thermal management with the ME will be even more important than thermal management on the C7. Given the lessons learned by GM on the C7 in this regard, I'm hopeful that will be at the top of their minds on the ME.

With the C7, the only real downside to buying early was the later added options/features etc. But reliability on the early cars has been quite good. If they pull that off with the ME they'll be in good shape.

Comment

Originally posted by OnPoint
                        Thermal management with the ME will be even more important than thermal management on the C7.
                        Spot on OnPoint! Truer words were never posted. In hindsight, I was thrilled that the ZR1 was delayed one model year (was supposed to be the 2018, 65th Anniversary Corvette), due to some testing findings. They made further development changes during that extra time before its reveal. I applaud GM for being methodical in evaluation, doing further upgrades before releasing that car to customers.

I do not want to wait one more hour for me ME than necessary, but if GM finds something in the testing and development process that requires a fix, I sure want it to be before a single ME customer gets its car. As I posted when the Stingray came out to some very impatient friends, “who would you rather have fix your car, the place with the state of the art tools, the best technicians, and the best knowledge, or your local dealer who is seeing the first C7 ever when you pulled in there with a problem the factory should have found and fixed before releasing them to us?” Bluntly, that shut off their bellyaching.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post

I do not want to wait one more hour for me ME than necessary, but if GM finds something in the testing and development process that requires a fix, I sure want it to be before a single ME customer gets its car.

Amen, brother !!

I don't mind waiting for a fully sorted machine.

Comment

I truly hope that I am in a position (financially) to purchase a first year ME Corvette.

As has been mentioned in this thread, I'm also at a point in life where waiting carries a bit more risk than it used to.

At this stage I'd much rather be sure that I got to experience driving/owning a ME Corvette... even if it meant I was having to "drive off into the sunset" towing my ME Corvette behind me!

Comment

Given the strong interest in the ME, and the expected combined BG production of both the C7 and ME that will occur (significantly reducing the number of MEs produced the first year and second(?) year), I expect a lot of folks who are interested in a 1st year ME won't be able to get one.

So, they'll get to find out through the media (including MECF.com) if there are any first-year issues or not.
                              My C8:
                              '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package 2000 Status December 27, 2019; 3000 Status January 2, 2020; 3400 Status March 10, 2020;TPW March 16, 2020; Built June 4th, 2020 (COVID-19); Delivery July 1, 2020

Current Vettes:
                              '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
                              '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
                              '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X