MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 5 < >

Major MECF Maintenance “Outage”

Sorry but please read this this major TIME OUT for MECF! Our forum software provider will undergo a scheduled maintenance from 3:00 PM to 10:00 PM Pacific Time on Thursday September 24th, 2020. The site will be offline during this maintenance period.
2 of 5 < >

Welcome Ikon Performance As Our Featured Forum Vendor

We are extremely pleased to have the high quality firm of Ikon Performance join us with their C8 exhaust system being their lead C8 product. Ikon is at: http://www.ikonperformance.com/c8-Co...xhaust-system/ Their C8 exhaust is bent, made of 304 stainless, with round exhaust tips and more.
3 of 5 < >

Corvette Today Podcast IS On Now With CorvetteBlogger and Steve Garrett

Steve Garrett and CorvetteBlogger Keith Cornett examine “Corvette Headlines & News” for mid-September 2020. https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...rftb Included in this episode are: The Corvette Visualizer for 2021 is now online; The National Corvette Museum raffles off the 1.75 millionth Corvette; Electric, all-wheel drive Corvette possibly coming out in 2023;Country Music star George Jones’ Corvette gets donated to the NCM;.....and more!Stay current on what's going on in the world of Corvette with this episode of CORVETTE TODAY!
4 of 5 < >

FOLLOW THIS FORUM RULE!

All shall follow this forum rule:

“11. Do not post URL links to any product or service that is offered by a forum vendor. Exception: If the product or service you wish to link is one that you know is not offered by a forum supporting vendor, you may post that link. Examples of the latter could include tools, common products like duct/electrical tape, motor oil, and/or providers of specialized upgrade, maintenance or repair services.”

You may use a non forum business name, posting such as, “I buy at Joe’s” but again may not post a link to nor a URL of Joe’s.
See more
See less

GM Response Re Frunk Opening Allegations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM Response Re Frunk Opening Allegations

From an official GM spokesperson, I just received this:

Originally posted by GM

“After isolated reports of 2020 Chevrolet Corvette hoods being inadvertently left open while being driven, the engineering team is investigating the potential issue and will be working to prevent them moving forward. We have not been able to identify any mechanical issues related this situation. We’re looking at ways we can improve warnings of the hood being open by increasing the volume of warning chimes and changing the messaging that appears in the DIC. Vehicles already in the field would receive these changes through over-the-air updates.”
    Click image for larger version

Name:	BE2D77D7-8AD7-4CC7-A07C-C23981DBE7A4.jpeg
Views:	2905
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	165608

GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Great ... I'm glad they're taking the reports seriously
    Deposit placed on June 18 2020, for 2021 HTC 2LT Red Mist Tintcoat
    Current 1999 Magnetic Red C5 Z51

Comment

After isolated reports of 2020 Chevrolet Corvette hoods being inadvertently left open??

I think some are going to have an issue with that comment. AND if that is the case.. the car should DING like nobody's business if you start to drive off...

Comment

I am looking forward to seeing the over the air updates in action.

i am sorry to hear the owners who had the hood fly open on their new cars.

does this mean GM couldnt replicate the hood flying open and believes it was owner operation of vehicle prior to driving off?

if the car was in park and a trunk button was pushed by accident..that would release the frunk for opening in drive?

Either that or the driver didnt close the frunk completely before driving off...

i usually hate chimes etc...but I sure hope the over the air update makes the car scream if that front trunk is open...

that ll be me without question..

i cant tell you hiw many times that rear hatch on my c8 fets popped by my knee or by me thinking its the dam gas cap release on my current corvette...

big lights and loud buzzing for the over the air update for the open frunk would be appreciated.

thanks for the heads up.

glad to see GM work so fast on this concern,

Comment

I am glad GM is continuing to investigate and will make some changes. I like that OTA will be being used for this.

Comment

Here is our earlier thread on this subject: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...0-hood-flew-up
            GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

All in all it's good news that the issue is being address. Thanks GM for listening to our concerns 👂👂👍
              Arctic White 2LT, G8G, HUL, F9, AH2, 5ZZ, E60, STI, SHW J6F, Q8Q, RCC, Z51, ZYC.

Comment

Sorry...I still can't imagine why they want to rely on electronics for the frunk release without the standard secondary mechanical back up for safety? Their answer seems to somewhat skirt the overall safety issue. My guess is they'll update their position again in the future, hopefully soon.

Electronics are simply not reliable enough for such a critical and potentially deadly problem.
                Last edited by George; 07-13-2020, 01:23 PM.
                '64 Silver Grey Coupe (custom paint)- still our favorite
                '77 Black L82 / 4SPD
                '78 Silver Anniversary L82 / 4SPD
                '13 White/Blue Diamond 427 60th roadster - favorite late model
                '14 Black Z51 Coupe
                '15 Shark Grey Z51 Coupe
                '20 ... Zeus Bronze Coupe, 2LT, GT2 seats, Natural two tone, Body color accents, Pewter wheels

Ordered 7/28/19 / 2000 3/12 / 3400 9/19

Comment

I cant tell you how many times this past week or two I popped that rear trunk on my cirvette either getting in or getting out or just buying gas.

I sure would like a secindary mechanical latch if one was designed for the c8..

i know murphys law is going bit me on this frunk popping open in the highway thing,,

hehehe...ugh

i may have to get a switch like the npp remote to kill power to that fuse remotely for piece of mind, i think thats how the m2w switch works on the c6. Its like a push of a button and its like pulling the fuse which would not let the frunk ve opened. I dont know yet,

may be the OTA update will do the trick.

Comment

That response seems to miss the point. There's no evidence suggesting people are driving off with the hood open. Instead, it appears the hood is opening after the car is in motion.

I hope GM is looking into more than that response indicates, because if not they're barking up the wrong tree, and someone's going to die as a result. And I'd rather see the car unable to be shifted into D or R if the hood is open, not just a warning. Since everything is controlled by computer, that shouldn't be any harder to do than a warning on the IP.
                    Last edited by meyerweb; 07-13-2020, 01:38 PM.
                    SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                    >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

GM has one of the best failure analysis labs in the business, perhaps the best. I have full confidence that they have been working on this issue for a month and that they will continue to work on every aspect of it.

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
                        Sorry...I still can't imagine why they want to rely on electronics for the frunk release without the standard secondary mechanical back up for safety? Their answer seems to somewhat skirt the overall safety issue. My guess is they'll update their position again in the future, hopefully soon.
                        I don't disagree with you, but in the more than 5 years I've had my C7 the electrically operated trunk lid has never once opened unintentionally.

Originally posted by JB View Post
                        i may have to get a switch like the npp remote to kill power to that fuse remotely for piece of mind, i think thats how the m2w switch works on the c6. Its like a push of a button and its like pulling the fuse which would not let the frunk ve opened. I dont know yet.
                        THAT is a great idea. I built my own mild to wild type device for the C7 exhaust, and it shouldn't be hard to do for the frunk fuse the same way.
                        Last edited by meyerweb; 07-13-2020, 01:36 PM.
                        SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                        >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                          GM has one of the best failure analysis labs in the business, perhaps the best. I have full confidence that they have been working on this issue for a month and that they will continue to work on every aspect of it.
                          Glad to hear it, but saying that " isolated reports of 2020 Chevrolet Corvette hoods being inadvertently left open while being driven" is understating the issue by a long shot. I know they don't want to admit fault, but seriously? That comment is unjustified given all the evidence. I sure hope that internally they realize the seriousness of this. I bow to your superior knowledge of GM's team and sure hope you are right. This could easily kill someone.

Edit: But thanks for posting this John. 👍
                          Murray - Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
                          2020 Torch red Stingray coupe, Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP
                          Deposit: July 30/19, 1100: Sept 15/19, 3000: Feb 14/20, TPW WAS May 18, August 24 and lastly July 27,
                          3300: July 15, 3400: July 22, 3800: July 30, 4200: Aug 06, 5000: Aug 7, 6000: Aug 12!

Comment

I am glad they are looking at the mechanical causes of this and doing OTA updates for the warnings.

I echo your comments Racer X.
                            Hopefully, inside their attention to the issues and possibly hidden from us for now, they are also looking at the electronic causes, not just the mechanical causes.

It sounds like they could not duplicate the electronics-caused openings -- or, at least, they are not mentioning or admitting anything about them yet which is understandable, maybe, until they have found a workaround or a fix.

Like I have mentioned in other topics, current/existing/present problems are the easiest to fix -- some would say a monkey could fix those, although I would not go quite that far.
                            Intermittent problems diagnostics is where you separate the wheat from the chaff and it is a much much larger diagnostic process and takes a lot of creativity.
                            GM does have their intermittent diagnostic processes, but if all of that has been worked through by the tech/techs and no problem is found, then it is up to the tech/techs to get creative and find the problem that the best of GM has not been able to find -- and there are techs who have done that very thing many times in the past.

GM has accomplished a great feat in building this great car through much research, knowledge, diligence and creativity with collaboration from people in so many fields, but they need to continue that same amount of effort to address the electronic openings of the frunk that some have been exposed to and I do believe they are putting that effort into it.

I am not sure if the on-board computers have enough capacity to monitor the frunk opening request signal while the car is not in park, but that would be very telling in this quest.
                            That function might be one of the most valuable OTA updates for this issue, and it could possibly identify which of the electronics inputs triggered it -- fob, front touchpad, door panel switch, emergency frunk exit switch, OnStar, malicious OTA signal from unscrupulous sources, etc.
                            TPW March 2. 3LT, Z51, FE4, Black GBA, ZZ3, Black interior with Red seats/red stitch HU0 & 2 tone TU7, E60, J6N, RIK, Q8Q, etc.
                            Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada

Comment

LJT and I have been discussing this issue and I will post, in the topic with the link that John has provided in post 6 above, the latest of what I have done to my C8 to protect against unintended electronic-opening of the frunk.
                              TPW March 2. 3LT, Z51, FE4, Black GBA, ZZ3, Black interior with Red seats/red stitch HU0 & 2 tone TU7, E60, J6N, RIK, Q8Q, etc.
                              Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X