MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 4 < >

C8 Caught In The Wild Testing! Best 7 ME Videos! Inside BGA : Jagamajajaran’s Video

2 of 4 < >

2019 Grand Sport Drivers Series Officially Revealed Tomorrow. LIst of C8 Poential Patents. Considerations In Modeling The C8

3 of 4 < >

Site Maintenance Starts @ 5:00 PM Today

Yesterday’s massive software update resulted in 3 things needing help. Some already corrected. Today we get up to a one hour maintenance/update time out.
4 of 4 < >

UPGRADED FORUM SOFTWARE

To keep our forum growing with the latest software, it was just upgraded. LIke all changes, our goal is for 100% success, but sometimes only 99% is achieved. If you notice that 1%, please start a thread entitled “Software Upgrade Difference. “ Thank you for within it describing what was different, worked better or not as well. Thank you.
See more
See less

2018 Bowling Green Assembly Plant Tour Video

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Jeremy 👍👍👍

Comment

I understand now, Jeremy. The graphic helped.

Comment

Originally posted by Bikerjulio View Post
        I think I've watched every available C8 build video now so that was interesting. I'd prefer to see all workers in Corvette wear.

Now for the elephant in the room. Nearly all of the workers are not fit. Sorry but it's true

No go look at a Porsche assembly video. Smartly dressed and fit workers.
        Just go to Italy and see how trim people are there. They rate very low in obesity. Unfortunately we rate #1 in the world for adult obesity right behind Mexico. So there’s much work to do. Not trying to be a Debbie downer so sorry.
        Last edited by MikeC8; 12-01-2018, 08:53 AM.
        2016 Jaguar F type R. 550 hp. AW drive. convertible. Weekend toy.

Comment

Thanks again Jag, for I just enjoyed another re-visit of this video you made for us all, e.g. our only BGA fix for quite a while.
          So many questions about the ME right now; so few answers yet.

Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. A ME C8 Corvette is coming next.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. Great video

Comment

This was a great video, appreciated it.

Comment

Does the assembly line shut down every summer annually or only on years in which there is model change-over or model modification? Can they run the C8 down the existing line without a shutdown? Will the crew need retraining? Or are the crew getting retraining already? Is there an announced shut down for 2019?

What is the shortest possible time delay between reveal and sale?

Comment

Taking your question one at a time.
                  Originally posted by SheepDog View Post

Does the assembly line shut down every summer annually or only on years in which there is model change-over or model modification? Almost always the Plant takes a one or two week shut down around July 4th. Additionally, almost always the Plant takes a two week end of year/New Year’s vacation shutdown.

Can they run the C8 down the existing line without a shutdown? They have been making a very few C8’s on the assembly line, intermixed with the C7, but it has been very far from a smooth process. Additionally we have no idea as to whether there was massive hand assembly of sub-component parts off the assembly line to make this work

Will the crew need retraining? Complete retraining, along the line that they used in the fall of 2017 (the 13 week shutdown). This system was implemented due to almost every employees’ job then completely changing. Each worker was trained by watching a computer video, showing each specific/required tool being picked up, watching it being moved to the proper location within or onto the vehicle, then watching that part being attached with that tool. That afternoon, in a separate area were the exact tools and parts to be affixed on an “assembly buck” — doing with their hands exactly what they watched being done that morning on the computer. This process was identically repeated the following day, however at the end of the second day, employees were tested to pre-determined skill mastery certification. Most passed the skill level # 4 certification the first time. Those that did not, receive more training until they did so. Each worker was additionally and identically trained for a second job in their area of the Plant, and again had to reach skill level certication level # 4.

The supervisors in each area of the Plant were trained and had to reach identical skill mastery for every single job within their supervised area, so if mid morning an employee got sick and needed to leave, that supervisor could take over instanteously without the line being shut down

I expect this identical training to occur during the training for the C8 assembling of customer cars.

I especially like the training implemented at the Plant last year during last fall’s 13 week shut down, when almost eveyrone’s job changed. Each worker was trained by going through a double sequence of video screen watching, that showed each tool placed in the right location on the screen, exactly how each part was fixed in turn, then aft

Or are the crew getting retraining already? No. One major reason is the car has not yet been approved for production, and thus things can/will change.

Is there an announced shut down for 2019? Not yet.

What is the shortest possible time delay between reveal and sale? Unknown. Typically has averaged 9 months, but maybe less.

There is a fantastically interesting video of BGA Plant Manager Kai Spande detailing the new crew training and certification program still on YouTube and on this forum. Now to find and bring it into this response.

Another factor relating to the changeover process is the quality control hold (QCH) that accompanies every generational change (and almost every single model change). This QCH is typically a two week period after the first customer cars have been completed, while they hold them within BGA grounds for that period to insure if they find anything, that they can make changes to each vehicle before they leave the grounds (for where else are the best trained assemblers, totally specific tools to accomplish such things, and a collection of parts to implement any component changes and/or software changes). However, it is highly likely that for the ME, the QCH will be not less than four weeks long (which used to be modus operandi).

Lastly, as to the length of a generation to next generational shut down, that can also be very variable. One thing we believe is that when GM shut down BGA for 13 week in the fall of 2017 (in the middle of 2018 production), every piece of new equipment, every new process or combination of the two — such as the new skillet system, was not purchased without GM first asking whether the new parts/systems would work perfectly for the ME’s assembly, i..e, the would not have bought expensive new equipment nor processes on line for just the 2019 model year.

Hence, all the new stuff brought on line during that thirteen weeks will work well for the ME’s assembly; and consequently, it is possible the length of the plant shut down for the transition to ME assembly (whether you believe it would be solely or in conjunction with the C7), could well be a much shorter process than the 13 week shut down.
                  Last edited by John; Yesterday, 08:38 PM.

Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. A ME C8 Corvette is coming next.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                    Taking your question one at a time.

There is a fantastically interesting video of BGA Plant Manager Kai Spande detailing the new crew training and certification program still on YouTube and on this forum. Now to find and bring it into this response.

Another factor relating to the changeover process is the quality control hold (QCH) that accompanies every generational change (and almost every single model change). This QCH is typically a two week period after the first customer cars have been completed, while they hold them within BGA grounds for that period to insure if they find anything, that they can make changes to each vehicle before they leave the grounds (for where else are the best trained assemblers, totally specific tools to accomplish such things, and a collection of parts to implement any component changes and/or software changes). However, it is highly likely that for the ME, the QCH will be not less than four weeks long (which used to be modus operandi).

Lastly, as to the length of a generation to next generational shut down, that can also be very variable. One thing we believe is that when GM shut down BGA for 13 week in the fall of 2017 (in the middle of 2018 production), every piece of new equipment, every new process or combination of the two — such as the new skillet system, was not purchased without GM first asking whether the new parts/systems would work perfectly for the ME’s assembly, i..e, the would not have bought expensive new equipment nor processes on line for just the 2019 model year.

Hence, all the new stuff brought on line during that thirteen weeks will work well for the ME’s assembly; and consequently, it is possible the length of the plant shut down for the transition to ME assembly (whether you believe it would be solely or in conjunction with the C7), could well be a much shorter process than the 13 week shut down.
                    WellThen: the ME might be a 2021 Covette. Sorry to say. Especially so, if the C8 car is no revealed soon. The window is closing on the 2020 car for fall 2019 sales start.
                    Last edited by SheepDog; Yesterday, 10:56 PM.

Comment

SheepDog, the ME could well be a MY 2021. We truly do not know yet.

I think however there could be one thing that would work for the first year ME being a 2020, and that is the 2019 is now literally just over one year old, and its longevity is getting increasingly suspect. Let us assume GM decides to make the C7 through the summer, then does a significant length shutdown (extended plant vacation plus then re-tooling). The one things against the ME becoming a 2021 MY is that I just do not think GM could take the heat of not having a 2020 model year at all.

Of course GM could alternatively stop 2019 C7 production in a few months, yet at the late April BASH reveal a slightly refreshed 2020 C7?

So many questions that we do not yet know answers to.

Comment

John, here is the video link where Kai Spande discusses the training process. (Starts at 7:22)

Comment

Thank you very much Jag. You once again this week have filled an information void, for Kai’s video explanation is far, far better than mine. Thank you kindly!

Comment

Always a pleasure, John.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                              Of course GM could alternatively stop 2019 C7 production in a few months, yet at the late April BASH reveal a slightly refreshed 2020 C7?

So many questions that we do not yet know answers to.
                              I just don’t see the point for a refresh this close to the ME/C8. I feel confident in saying the majority of the Vette buyers are now waiting for the ME or getting discounted cars. I feel it would be a poor investment. On the other hand if they show a refresh that makes me believe we may not see the ME until fall, dare I say LA in Nov..... that makes me sad.

Comment

Understand, but how about instead a postive optioning that JerryU just came up for the BASH.

Originally posted by JerryU
                                I've been wondering what they will do at the Bash! Here is an option:

The C8 will be there just like it was in Germany. It will be camouflaged and it a roped off area!

Heck lots of folks saw it in Germany - close up!

I’ll be at the BASH either way.
                                Last edited by John; Today, 12:47 AM.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X