MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 3 < >

We Welcome Featured Vendor “American Hydrocarbon” With 25+ Years Of Experience

Pat leads the team at American Hydrocarbon, creating superbly crafted pieces that have been on winning show cars in 27 countries. https://www.shop.americanhydrocarbon.com/main.sc. More information to come real soon, including in two new threads already.
2 of 3 < >

Corvette Today Podcast With Dr. Sean Preston, Leader Of the National Corvette Museum!

Dr. Sean Preston is the President and CEO of the National Corvette Museum.  Sean talks about the virtual NCM Bash this year (because of Covid-19), what's new at the Museum, upcoming events and how you can become a member of the National Corvette Museum. Also hear about new exhibits, the updated website development, the new virtual aspects now in place at the Museum, and Museum In Motion.  Be sure to check out this episode of CORVETTE TODAY!
3 of 3 < >

Official C8 Owners Manual, Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

See more
See less

Oil Change at 500 miles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Change at 500 miles

Good reason to change your oil at 500 mi. This may a fluke but....

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2020...or-inspection/
    New C8: GDO yellow, DTH CF Racing stripes, Q8Q CF wheels, Z51, J6E yellow calipers, E60 Front end lift, ZZ3 engine appearance pkg, FE4 mag ride, EYK chrome badges, FA5 C Fiber interior trim, AH2 GT2 seats, 3M9 yellow seat belts, HZN Natural Dipped Interior.

I always have my oil and oil filter changed at 500 or a few more miles (not just on our Corvette but on every new vehicle we get). Interesting conversation I had with Chief Corvette Engineer Dave Hill about this 15 years ago. He and I were talking about oil change intervals and his exact words were, “Mind if I be blunt, you are wasting your money changing your oil then, but it your money and if that makes you happy.”

I got along great with Dave and respected his opinions, yet still responded, “thanks Dave and I will continue to change my oil & filter on every new Corvette at roughly the 500 mile mark.”

This one motor complete seize could be literally a one-off part failure. But GM cares and chose to properly have it send back to Michigan to their excellent parts failure lab to see whether it is that, or ???
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates.Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Fluke, It's a feel good thing. Totally not necessary. The less I have the local Chevy dealer touch my car the happier I will be. In my case an oil change there would just be stressful.

Comment

Great information. I have rebuilt quite a few engines and have always changed the break in oil and filter at 500 mile and regular oil changes every 5000 miles. I will do the same thing when I get my new C8. New question, how many quarts does the new engine require or take?

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
          I ... always have my oil and oil filter changed at 500 or a few more miles ... his exact words were, “Mind if I be blunt, you are wasting your money changing your oil then, but it your money and if that makes you happy.”
          This seems to be a constant debate, to change and "waste" some money or save the expense. My feeling has always been, is it's oil and one of the least expensive parts of the car change it often it doesn't hurt the car to change oil.

Comment

It’s a fluke. How many C8’s have been produced? 4,000? And we’ve only heard of one with a seized engine? Definitely a fluke.
            Future: 2020 C8 Z51 3LT Torch Red - 3000 status
            Current: 2014 C7 Z51 3LT Torch Red
            Prior: 1992 C4, 1995 C4 2002 C5, 2005 C6, 2010 C6

Comment

I suspect the metal in the filter is the result of the problem, not the cause of it.
              SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
              >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Seems like they edited the video to remove whatever happened (@6:43) just before the engine failed...

My C8:
                '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package 2000 Status December 27, 2019; 3000 Status January 2, 2020; 3400 Status March 10, 2020;TPW March 16, 2020; Built June 4th, 2020; Delivery July 1, 2020

Current Vettes:
                '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
                '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
                '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

I'm not paranoid about my engine blowing up. If it does, I will have my warranty and a story to tell. I will be following the engine service intervals recommended by Team Corvette.

Comment

I've always done a 500 mile oil change, on every new vehicle I've owned, and I've already got the Mobil-1 0w-40 waiting for the C8.

I've also got a pair of FilterMags that I'll slip-on once I get the car home.

As they say, "You don't mess with tradition."
                    My C8:
                    '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package 2000 Status December 27, 2019; 3000 Status January 2, 2020; 3400 Status March 10, 2020;TPW March 16, 2020; Built June 4th, 2020; Delivery July 1, 2020

Current Vettes:
                    '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by 5632 View Post
                      Great information. I have rebuilt quite a few engines and have always changed the break in oil and filter at 500 mile and regular oil changes every 5000 miles. I will do the same thing when I get my new C8. New question, how many quarts does the new engine require or take?
                      7.5 Qts with filter

Comment

Originally posted by 5632 View Post
                        From the 2020 Owner's Manual:
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	oil.JPG Views:	0 Size:	99.8 KB ID:	160378
                        Don't forget - warm the engine to normal operating temp and check the oil level with the engine idling.
                        Last edited by Mobius; 06-30-2020, 05:42 PM.
                        My C8:

Current Vettes:

Comment

Originally posted by Mobius View Post
                          Seems like they edited the video to remove whatever happened (@6:43) just before the engine failed...

The owner posted Part 3 of his update on Youtube today. The dealer pulled the engine and is going to send it back to GM for analysis, so let's see what the root cause is. Will be interesting for sure.

Comment

I will change my Corvette's oil around 750 miles. It certainly may not be necessary but I would feel better. I would also have the dealer do it for me because then GM will keep track of all my maintenance records just in case there is any warranty issues.
                            Marc

Comment

Just drove my C8 home from the dealer yesterday. 70 miles on it now. I have always done the oil change on new Corvettes at 500 miles. I may do it at 1,000 since I'm planning a trip to the mountains of New Hampshire. I have a lift in the garage, so no excuse not to do it myself. Then the dealer can do the next one along with the DCT filter, at the scheduled 7,500 miles. Cheap insurance to do it early. Moving parts settling in together inevitably cause some friction and it just makes sense to dump it early.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X