MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

Run Flat- Customer had flat, asked if run flats can be repaired. Here's the answer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There have been reports of people driving on run flats with no pressure for way more than 50 miles. Like, 150 miles or more, without problems. I wouldn't try to repair and reuse that tire, but the 50 mile recommendation is as much to cover the manufacturers butt as a real limit. So if you're further than that from somewhere you can get a tire, slow down, put on your 4-ways, and keep going.
    SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
    >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by Milliwatt Rob View Post
      The more you drive it with zero pressure, the more damaged it is likely to get. So in either instance, don't think that the tire continues to be safe for high performance driving.

The damage to the lire, under the circumstances you cite, is likely to be the same. But tire manufacturers have to provide direction that consumers will understand. Which is likely why most manufacturers, such as Pirelli, recommend that the tire be "retired" after one zero pressure use.

Can you imagine someone taking a run flat tire, run at zero pressure for 30 miles, having it plugged, and then go tracking with it?
      I agree; it's more likely to get damaged the longer it's driven without pressure. I'm just curious how much that damage is, after a certain number of careful miles before repairing it. I'm also wondering what the failure mode would be if driven hard (not track use, but regular 'spirited street' driving). Without more information, I'm inclined to believe that it's the manufacturers 'covering their butts', as previously mentioned. There's probably a good amount of safe use left in the tires for normal use if plugged within a reasonable distance more than once. (Use, not abuse). If I were in that situation I'd probably do a good visual inspection of the tire for damage, and make the assessment.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumbell2 View Post

I agree with Frenzy about not liking run flats and would add price to the equation. That being said I prefer to have run flats for the simple reason that if I do get a flat I can choose the location of where to address the issue-simply a comforting safety factor in an uncertain world-especially if my wife or other family member is driving alone. I always carry a patch kit and compressor for my run flats and have repaired them without issue in the past-but I immediately addressed the loss of pressure and did not keep driving more than the bare minimum. Most tire places won’t repair a run flat, but a regular mechanic might-simple business practice
        You make total sense. Excellent advance planning!

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	036ADC93-AD90-48A5-8688-54D23F68CA82.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	117.1 KB ID:	159663Click image for larger version  Name:	E6CE47BA-CD16-49E1-94EC-369B0540C04C.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	160.4 KB ID:	159664 I had a screw in the rear tire back in March and had it plugged. Not a problem it was never driven on at low air pressure. Saw the low pressure warning and fixed it in the garage.
          Last edited by MikeC8; 06-29-2020, 07:39 AM.
          RED ,C8. 2LT Z51.black wheels and trim. .... Order status 6000 car is home in garage
          .VIN.1906

Comment

I bought the insurance through the dealer , they replace it if I get a nail. They said they don't repair run flats. I have bad tire luck so I figured it would be a good idea .

Comment

Originally posted by Lance's tops View Post
              I bought the insurance through the dealer , they replace it if I get a nail. They said they don't repair run flats. I have bad tire luck so I figured it would be a good idea .
              Same here. Our dealership no longer repairs run flats. Thank goodness we had tire insurance.
              Heidi
              Save the Wave

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
              Working...
              X