Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fake exhausts to throw off the masses?

Comment

Fake is improbable. To fake a highly desired feature would breach good will: hoax the faithful? Not likely. It is the real McCoy.

Comment

It might be a setup like the 458 or the Civic Type R. They have multiple exhaust outlets. When the exhaust is in "quiet" mode the gas is routed a specific way, when in loud mode, it utilizes a different route. With multiple mufflers/baffles/ tube diameters they can tune the exhaust. That would be my guess as to what GM is doing.

Comment

Originally posted by P-Tree View Post
          It might be a setup like the 458 or the Civic Type R. They have multiple exhaust outlets. When the exhaust is in "quiet" mode the gas is routed a specific way, when in loud mode, it utilizes a different route. With multiple mufflers/baffles/ tube diameters they can tune the exhaust. That would be my guess as to what GM is doing.
          that's called NPP

Comment

Originally posted by SheepDog View Post
            Fake is improbable. To fake a highly desired feature would breach good will: hoax the faithful? Not likely. It is the real McCoy.
            That is an interesting take. I admire your optimism-unfortunately I cannot share it. As John Lyly reputably said "all is fair in love and prototyping"

Comment

Originally posted by C8Jake View Post

that's called NPP
              NPP is active exhaust. I'm also talking about setups with multiple diameter tubing to change the tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumbell2 View Post

That is an interesting take. I admire your optimism-unfortunately I cannot share it. As John Lyly reputably said "all is fair in love and prototyping"
                'all is fair in love and prototyping" True. Exterior design flirting and reaction test prototyping. True. But we already know what exterior design will look like.

They are, at this time, fine tuning the new Z06 power train for prime time.

Who knows the final look of the "tail pipes". Apparently it is undecided.

But if it has different sized exhaust pipes, it will be hissed-at initially and ultimate embraced as the identity symbol of the car. It is just that unique.
                Last edited by SheepDog; 06-20-2020, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepDog View Post

'all is fair in love and prototyping" True. Exterior design flirting and reaction test prototyping. True. But we already know what exterior design will look like.

They are, at this time, fine tuning the new Z06 power train for prime time.

Who knows the final look of the "tail pipes". Apparently it is undecided.

But if it has different sized exhaust pipes, it will be hissed-at initially and ultimate embraced as the identity symbol of the car. It is just that unique.
                  I always admire it when design risks are taken-whether I like the results or not.

Comment

I'd argue it's a vocal minority that demands the center exhaust. Only 3 generations of Corvette had center exhaust. I like the side exhaust better myself.
                    Murray - Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
                    2020 Torch red Stingray coupe, Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP
                    Deposit: July 30/19, 1100: Sept 15/19, 3000: Feb 14/20, TPW WAS May 18, August 24 and lastly July 27,
                    3300: July 15 3400: July 21 3800: July 30 4200: Aug 07 5000: Aug 7 6000: Aug 12?

Comment

I've always liked the center pipes. Something different than most other cars.

The two bigger pipes will hold the Z06's igniters for 6-foot flames out the back. Quite a few years ago when I was traveling in the Boston area, I spotted a nicely customized '50s pickup truck. It had igniters at the end of it's dual pipes. The truck's custom plate was "PYRO".

Comment

Here are the CAD images of the (850hp) LT7 engine that Code Name Zerv posted early last summer. He also responded to his situation with his job at Chevrolet/Corvette team and the reason he posted all of those CAD images. We all saw and deciphered these a couple of years ago when we all were trying to figure what tech was in the new mid engined C8. The one "never seen" image showing the rear of the LT7 engine and the DCT were posted up then promptly taken down by GM on this site and the Corvette Forum. I took a screen shot and still have all three images. The DCT on the LT7 engine appears to be different than the DCT on the base LT2 engine that's in the Stingray. The DCT casing looks a bit different and could be slightly larger to handle the higher horsepower LT7. One can also see that the curved intake plenums from the blue/grey airbox that have a reduction in cross sectional air volume from the airbox down to the dual stage twin turbochargers. These in effect are already compressing the incoming induction air by progressively reducing the cross sectional air volume as it travels through the length of the tube plenum.The images above of the two larger thicker exhaust outlets and the two smaller outlets would make sense in a dual stage turbocharger configuration.These would most likely also be made of Inconel for its strength and heat retention or extraction capabilities. I would think that the centered exhaust outlets with the two large thick walled and two smaller outlets will only be on the ZR1 and ZORA models and not the ZO6.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Front & Rear view of LT7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	952.0 KB ID:	156627Click image for larger version  Name:	Text from Code Name Zerv thread on CF.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.52 MB ID:	156624

Click image for larger version  Name:	Side Shot of LT2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1,019.6 KB ID:	156623
                        Last edited by Skank; 06-20-2020, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Look at the size of the airbox on the LT2 engine. No one will argue it's large size (image #1). After all it's feeding a normally aspirated V8 with a large amount of horsepower and torque! That horsepower and torque gets it's start from here! It feeds the combustion on the LT2. The airbox on the LT7 is larger yet due to the massive need of air for the twin, dual phase turbo chargers, which send air to the hugely needy engine in rapid time! To make it more efficient/uniform, it appears to be divided into two parts, each one to serve one of the two turbo chargers. It is more then likely that GM has realized that the rapid exhaust of air is necessary given the heat and large load from the twin dual stage turbos. Hence, the large center tubes and smaller side tubes and also the placement in the middle of the rear of the car. (image #2). This appears to be an afterthought when one looks closely at the cutouts for the center mounted tubes on the rear of the car. One can clearly see cutaway on the rear area.

It could be a "work in progress" or it could be the answer to the need to exhaust heat quickly. We will see as the spy photos come out.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Side Shot of LT2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1,019.6 KB ID:	156639
                          (image #1)

Click image for larger version  Name:	close up of exhaust tubes.jpg Views:	0 Size:	136.0 KB ID:	156640
                          (image #2)

Last edited by ltomn; 06-20-2020, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Thank you Skank. And Zerv too.

Comment

Originally posted by Skank View Post
                              Here are the CAD images of the (850hp) LT7 engine . . .
                              ]
                              850 HP will be amazing.

What will be the LT6 engine horse power?

Some are saying 600 HP and 450TQ at the max.

It sounds satisfyingly high RPM in the recently posted short videos clips.
                              Last edited by SheepDog; 06-20-2020, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by C8Jake View Post
                                jury-rigged ABS pipe 👎👎
                                Click image for larger version Name:	image_22470.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.7 KB ID:	156336
                                Definitely not ABS! That would melt in a heart beat at exhaust temps. Probably a thicker metal painted flat black. My guess is this is just a mock up, and would guess production would be 4 equal sized tips.
                                my next question would be is this going to eliminate or impact the rear cargo area?

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X