Clear All

• VIDEO - Center Mounted Exhaust Spied on C8 Corvette Z06 Prototypes

Click image for larger version

Name:	061920_118.jpg
Views:	6066
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	156318

Crossposted from CorvetteBlogger:

New spy photos from Brian Williams (Spiedbilde) were offered up today and I had to have them as they not only show the C8 Corvette Z06 coupe and convertible out on public roads, but for the first time, we are seeing a center-mounted exhaust on the mid-engine sportscar. Brian was also able to capture the sound of the high-revving DOHC V8 engine as a prototype rapidly accelerated through the first few gears of the dual-clutch transmission.

Brian reports that as compared with the regular C8 Corvette Stingray in the group, the prototype Z06 features a much wider stance. The wheels for the Z06 are staggered with 20s in the front and 21s in the back and sized 275 and 345 respectively. Michelin is once again providing the massive grip with their Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires.

Name:	061920_115.jpg
Views:	705
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	156319

As we saw yesterday, the Z06’s wheels and brakes are hidden, but it’s been previously rumored that factory-optioned carbon fiber wheels may be coming to the Corvette line-up with the Z06 as another first.

The center-mounted exhaust was unexpected but again something that was recently rumored, and the set-up is shown on both the Coupe and Convertible Z06 models. Based on a close-up photo of the exhaust tips, it looks like there will be two large center-mounted exhaust ports with a single, smaller-diameter port stationed off to each side. I really like how thick and beefy those center tips look as well!

The video captures that exhaust note and listen to how high the engine is revved before you hear the gear change:

The photo gallery features 22 photos of the car and you can seem them all at CorvetteBlogger.com. As I was reviewing the photos, I noticed that Corvette Chief Engineer Ed Piatek appears to be driving one of the prototypes.

Name:	061920_107.jpg
Views:	692
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	156320

Name:	061920_120.jpg
Views:	679
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	156321

Name:	061920_121.jpg
Views:	687
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	156322
    Senior Editor and Founder of CorvetteBlogger.com. I drive my dad's 1966 Corvette Sting Ray Convertible and the National Corvette Museum is my personal Graceland.

Those are superb pictures and info CorvetteBlogger. Thank you so very much! Z06 is ahead, and clearly the previously, two months announced “pause” in all Corvette development has evaporated into the rear view mirror. My guess is that Mary Barra and her financial pros have decided that GM will be in good shape in spite of the virus and that development expenses are now again an allowed expenditure.

I too love the thick center exhausts, the high revving motor and the wide rear meats!
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post

I love the thick center exhausts
      jury-rigged ABS pipe 👎👎
      Click image for larger version  Name:	image_22470.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.7 KB ID:	156336
      Last edited by C8Jake; 06-19-2020, 02:32 PM.

Comment

I thought that a center exhaust was not a possibility with the transmission

Comment

The 4 Z06 center exhaust pipes are [appear to be] mounted below the horizontal line of the 4 Stingray side exhaust pipes. Question whether the transmission is the exact same. Probably. so. The engine is different, but is it the same length ? And does the tranny extend as far or farther back. The center pipes have bumped the diffuser.

Maybe the exhaust gas is routed differently in the muffler , so that the exhaust pipes exit the muffler's center instead of it ends.

Corvette marketing is great at stimulating giant interest and attention by use of small mysteries and intrigues. Plastic bags and partial coverings. A pinup is more tantalizing when it is half clad, than when completely cloaked or buck naked.
          Last edited by SheepDog; 06-19-2020, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Those center pipes are way too big for the exhaust. Why would they have what appears to be 1/2" wall thickness tubes??? The exhaust pipes are the outboard smaller tubes.

What are those large center pipes with the massive wall thickness?

3 words: Cold Gas Thrusters.
            Last edited by Shepherd777; 06-19-2020, 04:29 PM.
            Bob Sliwa
            "I was cruising in my Stingray, late one night, when a Tesla Model 3, pulled up on the right......."
            Currently Building an All-Electric,1963 Split-Window Coupe Restomod.
            2020 C8 - ELB Event Status 6000. Home!

Comment

The exhaust sound in that 18 sec video is primal scream.

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherd777 View Post
                Those center pipes are way too big for the exhaust. Why would they have what appears to be 1/2" wall thickness tubes??? The exhaust pipes are the outboard smaller tubes.

The heat generated by the motor/cats with a very short set of downstream pipes is massive. My bet is that the extra thick exhaust tube tips are a way of insuring that the heat exhausts behind the car and does not melt the rear fascia (or worse cause it to go on fire during the testing process). As to what are the smaller tubes, that is one heck of a good question.
                GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherd777 View Post

Only mildly radioactive, not like the earlier fission system...

Oh, I see that you're referring to the Tesla system...

I think we're seeing the AFM set-up, with the center pipes active when the AFM valves are open, and the smaller pipes in use when the AFM valves are closed and the exhaust is routed through the muffler(s).

Regarding the center exhaust, Callaway has a system under development for the Stingray, so there is room for it:
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	98585410_10157955034074718_2939091741795418112_o.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.4 KB ID:	156403
                  My C8:
                  '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package 2000 Status December 27, 2019; 3000 Status January 2, 2020; 3400 Status March 10, 2020;TPW March 16, 2020; Built June 4th, 2020; Delivery July 1, 2020

Current Vettes:
                  '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
                  '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
                  '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                    The heat generated by the motor/cats with a very short set of downstream pipes is massive. My bet is that the extra thick exhaust tube tips are a way of insuring that the heat exhausts behind the car and does not melt the rear fascia (or worse cause it to go on fire during the testing process).
                    Especially when you're shooting flames out those pipes, as we see with the C8.R 5.5L FPC engine, and keeping in mind that the Z06's 5.5L FPC engine will be MORE powerful.
                    My C8:
                    '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package 2000 Status December 27, 2019; 3000 Status January 2, 2020; 3400 Status March 10, 2020;TPW March 16, 2020; Built June 4th, 2020; Delivery July 1, 2020

Current Vettes:
                    '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
                    '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
                    '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by Mobius View Post
                      Oh, I see that you're referring to the Tesla system...
                      Zactly!

https://electrek.co/2019/07/13/tesla-roadster-spacex-thruster-hidden-license-plate-elon-musk/

Name:	CGT.PNG
Views:	628
Size:	508.4 KB
ID:	156420
                      Bob Sliwa
                      "I was cruising in my Stingray, late one night, when a Tesla Model 3, pulled up on the right......."
                      Currently Building an All-Electric,1963 Split-Window Coupe Restomod.
                      2020 C8 - ELB Event Status 6000. Home!

Comment

Purely Acoustical?

Would two sizes of pipes offer unique acoustical qualities?
                        More than one sound, or qualities, or frequencies?
                        Multiple sound type from each pipe; and the variations based on drive mode or acceleration pattern, etc.?

Fantasy. A jazz band. A tenor and a base.
                        Last edited by SheepDog; 06-19-2020, 06:57 PM.

Comment

The center pipes are fakes - about 90% sure. Car sounds great though esp considering how far away the camera was from the car.

BZ

Comment

Originally posted by bzabodyn View Post
                            The center pipes are fakes - about 90% sure. Car sounds great though esp considering how far away the camera was from the car.

BZ
                            Where were the outlets for the exhaust gases? No pipes appears on the sides at the usual stock locations. That hot noxious stuff has to be released outside the closure and visible.

Comment

I didn't notice how the low wing, however the exhaust looks WAY better in split format. Center looks awful in my opinion

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X