See less

Grille inlet screens, do we need them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I received these from an online vendor. These install from the inside, requires removing the under car shields Click image for larger version

Name:	61E16716-C368-4AB0-903F-BC6F6E8365C7.jpeg
Views:	600
Size:	4.85 MB
ID:	154544 (18 screws) and sliding screens up. Held by plastic ties, no new hole drilling. $70. Aluminum, black powder coating. Also a MECF vendor I believe is getting ready to advertise screens that install from the outside.
    TPW 2/17 .. Shadow Gray Metallic w/Natural, 3LT, Z51, Mag, Lift, Spectra Gray Trident, Edge Red Calipers, Body Color Accents.

Past owned: 1984 C4, Medium Gray Metallic, Coupe, VIN# 1004; 1981 C3 White Coupe; 1980 C3 Dark Claret, Coupe

Comment

Won't do much to protect from the Love Bugs here in Fl. We have transporters that cross the state and white cabs appear to be black, that's how heavy the infestation is in season. (2X/ year)

Comment

Originally posted by vossenator View Post
        Won't do much to protect from the Love Bugs here in Fl. We have transporters that cross the state and white cabs appear to be black, that's how heavy the infestation is in season. (2X/ year)
        You got that right. Had to go from Hutchinson Island (East Coast) to Tampa in May and our AW GS was black covered with "love bugs" going both ways. Hopefully these proposed screens for C8 will not cause an overheating problem.
        Heidi
        Save the Wave

Comment

Originally posted by Heidi View Post

You got that right. Had to go from Hutchinson Island (East Coast) to Tampa in May and our AW GS was black covered with "love bugs" going both ways. Hopefully these proposed screens for C8 will not cause an overheating problem.
          Heidi
          Save the Wave
          You will have to clean either the screen or the radiator, which will overheat when covered with bugs.
          Torch red 1LT, no options. Built June 4, received July 2

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	0615200935.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	154586 mine took a couple of good shots from rocks, I want to cover it for sure

Comment

Hi all,
              We are still in development but have made great strides to bring you a quality product for your C8 Corvette. My inlet covers are made from the same Hexagon pattern used on the C8. My part has a plastic surround and will slide into place in front of your car using high quality two-way 3M tape for a quick & easy installation.

My part will look 👀 like a factory piece for your investment.

We look forward to serving the C8 community!
              Vette's owned: 99 Sebring Silver Convert - 10yrs, 2008 Crystal Red Convert,w/cam, longtubes and Vortech supercharger. C8 VIN 00336 built on 2/10/20 - Delivered 3/18/20 C8 Spec: Torch Red 2LT, Z51, FE4, E60, CF7, FA5, AH2, HUL, J6E, TU7, 3F9, Q8P, 5ZU, R8C

Comment

Wow, maybe a positive for those waiting patiently still. I am definitely interested in your pieces Rich!

Comment

Originally posted by Heidi View Post

Heidi
                  Save the Wave
                  I hate love bug season here , a second wave will come soon . I washed the front bumper and windshield every day to keep it looking good.

Comment

Originally posted by C8broughtmeback View Post
                    Wow, maybe a positive for those waiting patiently still. I am definitely interested in your pieces Rich!
                    Thank you so much C8broughtmeback, COVID put a stall on us but we are now 100% on track & should have prototypes in potentially weeks & hopefully product end of July if at all possible.

Trust me I completely understand the need for the screens asap but I am committed to bringing the community a quality product the first time around just like the C8 team did making the car.
                    Vette's owned: 99 Sebring Silver Convert - 10yrs, 2008 Crystal Red Convert,w/cam, longtubes and Vortech supercharger. C8 VIN 00336 built on 2/10/20 - Delivered 3/18/20 C8 Spec: Torch Red 2LT, Z51, FE4, E60, CF7, FA5, AH2, HUL, J6E, TU7, 3F9, Q8P, 5ZU, R8C

Comment

Try a race catalog like PEGASUS/. They have stainless steel wire mesh in sheets in different size openings. Suggest 1/4 inch. You will have to cut and bend/shape but its perfect. If you get some of whats been shown in fotos, it will reduce airflow.

Comment

Originally posted by Richrat View Post

Thank you so much C8broughtmeback, COVID put a stall on us but we are now 100% on track & should have prototypes in potentially weeks & hopefully product end of July if at all possible.

Trust me I completely understand the need for the screens asap but I am committed to bringing the community a quality product the first time around just like the C8 team did making the car.
                        I feel for you Rich, with the almost 3 month COVID delay affecting your company and also your supply chain.
                        Glad to hear your company is going to survive this.
                        Many of us on this forum are going to be buying your products when you get them going!
                        TPW March 2. 3LT, Z51, FE4, Black GBA, ZZ3, Black interior with Red seats/red stitch HU0 & 2 tone TU7, E60, J6N, RIK, Q8Q, etc.
                        Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by WillRockwell View Post

You will have to clean either the screen or the radiator, which will overheat when covered with bugs.
                          I agree WillRockwell.

I guarantee you that the screens will not restrict the flow as much as the cores being covered with bugs.
                          GM knows the bug problem and have always designed their vehicles with extra capacity in mind, to operate well with some restriction on the cores, whether or not that restriction is caused by bugs, screens or grilles.
                          For the very minute percentage of us who will constantly run our cars at the limit, overheat might be an issue, but that has yet to be proven.

A rad fin comb is not an option here for a couple of reasons:
                          • the fins are not in front of the core tubes
                          • the fins do not have a straight up and down pattern between the core tubes, they have a continuous vee-pattern between them so each bug and rock lodged in the fins have to be individually removed using a pick, while the surface bugs can be just brushed off
                          TPW March 2. 3LT, Z51, FE4, Black GBA, ZZ3, Black interior with Red seats/red stitch HU0 & 2 tone TU7, E60, J6N, RIK, Q8Q, etc.
                          Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada

Comment

Just to point out, the fins you see from the front aren't the radiators, but the A/C condensers. The radiators are behind them.

I like the concept of Richrat's screen in front of the existing plastic grills, which will provide more support to them in the event of a big hit. And they certainly sound like they'll be easier to install. I like the appearance of the screens mounted behind the factory grills, but probably much more work to install, and maybe not as protective.

Trade-offs, trade-offs...
                            Last edited by meyerweb; 06-15-2020, 02:47 PM.
                            SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                            >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by Richrat View Post
                              Hi all,
                              We are still in development but have made great strides to bring you a quality product for your C8 Corvette. My inlet covers are made from the same Hexagon pattern used on the C8. My part has a plastic surround and will slide into place in front of your car using high quality two-way 3M tape for a quick & easy installation.

My part will look 👀 like a factory piece for your investment.

We look forward to serving the C8 community!
                              Maybe I missed it, but what is the anticipated cost?

Comment

Obviously bugs are not causing fin damage. Though I do realize bugs restrict air flow. Would a strong stream of water be the way to clean the bugs out of there, or something else?

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X