Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Richrat View Post

Thanks for your Purchase KOPBET!
    I appreciate you trusting us to be one of the first to get my front inlet covers. Wire ties definitely make it easy if you have the need to remove & clean or if you track your car. They look AWESOME, can I say factory.

Thanks again!
    Rich
    Welcome. I would suggest to anyone installing inlet covers to find a buddy with a lift if you don’t have one. It will make the install much easier and less painful. lol. I did it the hard way and will pay for it tomorrow. Thanks for a great product Rich. It was worth the wait !
    Torch Red; 2LT; Z51; Two Tone Adrenaline Red GT2 seats TU7/AH2; Mag Ride FE4; Front Lift E60; Engine Appearance ZZ3; Pewter Rims 5DG; Silver Center Caps RXH; Battery Protection ERI; Yellow Calipers J6E; Yellow Seat Belts 3M9

Comment

• know everyone already is thinking about this or they should be. Lot of testing was done to determine the volume of airflow needed in all operating conditions. You restrict flow over a heat exchanger in marginal conditions bad things will happen. The other part is the damage that could be made by impacts of everything from rocks, big nasty bugs at high speed etc to the fins. This is going to be a tough one for me to address on mine as it will have more of a heat load and I hope this issue is vetted out completely.

On my C7 Z06 took the seal out along the back side of the engine bay to let air exit between the back of the hood and the engine. Made a difference in summer stop and go here and highway is awesome. Bad part is after a car wash the steam comes in big time so air is on recirculate.

My car is not driven in the rain either since the new paint and engine modifications.

Comment

• It was a little pain for a lot of pleasure! I hear ya. Lol

We are getting older and sitting on the ground isn't really fun anymore. Thats why I made the parts fit perfect, it makes the install go faster.

Cheers!
        Vette's owned: 99 Sebring Silver Convert - 10yrs, 2008 Crystal Red Convert,w/cam, longtubes and Vortech supercharger. C8 VIN 00336 built on 2/10/20 - Delivered 3/18/20 C8 Spec: Torch Red 2LT, Z51, FE4, E60, CF7, FA5, AH2, HUL, J6E, TU7, 3F9, Q8P, 5ZU, R8C

Comment

• Originally posted by Busa Dave View Post
          know everyone already is thinking about this or they should be. Lot of testing was done to determine the volume of airflow needed in all operating conditions. You restrict flow over a heat exchanger in marginal conditions bad things will happen. The other part is the damage that could be made by impacts of everything from rocks, big nasty bugs at high speed etc to the fins. This is going to be a tough one for me to address on mine as it will have more of a heat load and I hope this issue is vetted out completely.
          Hi Busa Dave,

Not sure who this is directed at but my front inlet covers have the most open area of ANY perforated metal or plastic @79%. Also several MECF testers verified no raise in normal operating temps.

See Jags post: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...sters-feedback

He verifies his normal temp stayed the same, also Tbob noted this: I did a road test and found no discernible temperature issues both in town and on the highway

Thanks, this is a very important issue for every C8 owner.

Rich

Vette's owned: 99 Sebring Silver Convert - 10yrs, 2008 Crystal Red Convert,w/cam, longtubes and Vortech supercharger. C8 VIN 00336 built on 2/10/20 - Delivered 3/18/20 C8 Spec: Torch Red 2LT, Z51, FE4, E60, CF7, FA5, AH2, HUL, J6E, TU7, 3F9, Q8P, 5ZU, R8C

Comment

• Originally posted by Ugolino View Post
            I'm wondering why this wasn't an issue for many decades until the current generation when you can clearly see the radiators. Radiators from past generations were just as exposed to road debris.
            I don't know about earlier generations, but the radiator on the C7 is a couple of feet behind the grill in the front fascia. Not only does that make it less likely to get struck by debris, it means if any of the fins are bent you won't notice them. The C8 radiators (A/C condensers, actuall) are right smack at the front of the car, and brightly metal, so any bent fins are quite noticeable.
            SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
            >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

• Originally posted by Richrat View Post

Hi Busa Dave,

Not sure who this is directed at but my front inlet covers have the most open area of ANY perforated metal or plastic @79%. Also several MECF testers verified no raise in normal operating temps.

See Jags post: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...sters-feedback

He verifies his normal temp stayed the same, also Tbob noted this: I did a road test and found no discernible temperature issues both in town and on the highway

Thanks, this is a very important issue for every C8 owner.

Rich

No it was not directed at you at all. After reading most of the posts the concern seemed to be skewed to aesthetics rather than performance. Performance can only be verified in controlled conditions with testing to validate. I am sure the modeling of the surface area was done and the flow verified in a wind tunnel by GM then field testing in a wide variation of ambient temperatures--who knows how many changes were made as a result.

Comment

• Originally posted by ELB2020VETTE View Post
                After 350 miles, I was cleaning the bugs off the front and noticed that pebbles had already hit the front of the radiator grills on both sides and left several dents. Can't imagine what they would look like after a few thousand miles.

I ordered the Grill Mesh Kits from custom car grills and installed them in about an hour. Pretty easy. The website has video instructions and the only thing I had to do different was take off the front splitter since I have a Z51.

I got this set because the powder-coated aluminum is honeycomb shaped and matches the grill mesh along the back window and the rear mesh below the back bumper. They install to the inside of the grill covers so I can still clean those parts.
                Does the set from Custom Car Grills have rubber trim all the way around it? If not, does it need it?
                2020 CMG 2 Tone Blue Z51, FE4

Comment

• Originally posted by RxCritical View Post

Does the set from Custom Car Grills have rubber trim all the way around it? If not, does it need it?
                  No they don’t and they don’t need it since it’s installed behind the grill

Comment

• Originally posted by RxCritical View Post

It does not. I will be picking up my car on Friday and most likely laying underneath the front of it on Saturday doing the install. I believe they have a YouTube video on their website of the install.
                    2020 Z51 2LT Ceramic Matrix Gray / Mag / Front Lift / GT2 / Red Interior

Downpayment: 08/17/2019
                    Initial TPW: 04/27/2020
                    3000 Status: 01/21/2020 (TPW: 04/27)
                    May 26 TPW: 07/13/2020
                    3300 Status: 08/14/2020 (TPW: 08/31)
                    3400 Status: 08/20/2020
                    Car Built: 09/01/20 / 1st C8 of Sept 2020

Comment

• I noticed that Custom Car Grills now has the inner grill mesh set available. Just ordered. They have videos for installation of both the outer set and inner set. Removal of panels under the grill is the same, but if you have a Z51, you also have to take off the front splitter (not shown in the installation video).

The inner set does have a rubber edge on the bottom to keep from rubbing the panel below it. It is a little different configuration than the outer set that does not have any edges around it that it would rub against.
                      2020 C8, Elkhart Lake Blue, Sky Cool Gray, LT2, Z51, GT2 Seats, FE4 mag ride, nose lift, performance exhaust, carbon flash wheels. Loving it!

Comment

• I went ahead and ordered the full set from Custom Car Grills this morning. It's already on the way.
                        2020 CMG 2 Tone Blue Z51, FE4

Comment

• Originally posted by ELB2020VETTE View Post
                          I noticed that Custom Car Grills now has the inner grill mesh set available. Just ordered. They have videos for installation of both the outer set and inner set. Removal of panels under the grill is the same, but if you have a Z51, you also have to take off the front splitter (not shown in the installation video).

The inner set does have a rubber edge on the bottom to keep from rubbing the panel below it. It is a little different configuration than the outer set that does not have any edges around it that it would rub against.
                          Please post close up pics especially of the inner set of screens and any feedback on the install.

Comment

• For anyone on the fence, here is the first customer pic to come in.
                            • Easy front of car installation: 20 min for the set
                            • No tools needed
                            • No removal of any factory parts
                            • Looks factory
                            • Made in USA
                            • Laser cut from 1 piece of aluminum.
                            • 2X times thicker aluminum than the competition
                            • Parts have structure unlike a screen
                            • You won't get cut or hurt installing our product

Click image for larger version

Name:	Prod 1 low.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	475.4 KB
ID:	191330

Name:	IMG_6823.JPG
Views:	326
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	191329

Comment

• Originally posted by jjsaustin View Post

Please post close up pics especially of the inner set of screens and any feedback on the install.
                              Here are some pics of the install of the inner screen covers. I have already installed the outer ones.

First: remove the splitter (Z51) and the cover in the center

Name:	0923201044c.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	193020

Second: pull down but do not remove the covers on the side.

Name:	0923201045c.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	193021

This the the part. The protected edge goes on the bottom.

Name:	0923201048c.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	287.3 KB
ID:	193022

Third: pull down on the side covers (they will not break) and slide the screen cover behing the grill cover.

Name:	0923201049c.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	342.8 KB
ID:	193023

Fourth: Set it in place and then use the ties to attach to the grill cover. (You need to have some manual dexterity in order to get one hand behind the screen and one in front to insert the ties and tighten them. I left them all loose and then tightened them one everything was looking like it should

Name:	0923201109c.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	193024

Put the center cover and splitter back on.

2020 C8, Elkhart Lake Blue, Sky Cool Gray, LT2, Z51, GT2 Seats, FE4 mag ride, nose lift, performance exhaust, carbon flash wheels. Loving it!

Comment

• ELB2020VETTE: Nice job. I bought the exact same ones. Waiting to install once my car is delivered in 2 weeks. Thanks for the instructions. About how long did the whole project take??? Great photos too.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X