See less

Grille inlet screens, do we need them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grille inlet screens, do we need them?

Someone on the FB C8 owners forum made inlet screens from a Home Depot gutter guard to protect his radiators from rocks and bugs. It doesn't look bad, but does it help?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200614-160911.png
Views:	1864
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	154392
    Torch red 1LT, no options. Built June 4, received July 2

There are aftermarket ones coming out and I believe we may see GM do some design change in this area. There was a post with the front end off with 800 miles on the car and slight damage was effident. I think this is an issue that needs to be addressed

Comment

I’m planning on adding them ASAP. One of our vendors is working on them now. Info in this thread:

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...patent-pending

Comment

Originally posted by WillRockwell View Post
        Someone on the FB C8 owners forum made inlet screens from a Home Depot gutter guard to protect his radiators from rocks and bugs. It doesn't look bad, but does it help?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20200614-160911.png Views:	87 Size:	1.21 MB ID:	154392
        I am concerned that this one could cut down on heat exchanging capabilities, especially on a hot day, stop and go, track use, etc.

A mid engine needs complete cooling and GM upped their standards big time for the C8 to insure it has excellent capability in this area. We have to be careful not to jeopardize that with a garden variety solution.
        GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post

I am concerned that this one could cut down on heat exchanging capabilities, especially on a hot day, stop and go, track use, etc.

A mid engine needs complete cooling and GM upped their standards big time for the C8 to insure it has excellent capability in this area. We have to be careful not to jeopardize that with a garden variety solution.
          I agree for track use, but I think for street driving, even in hot stop and go traffic, it should be fine. There are cooling fans to draw the air through in stop and go traffic. I read a review from someone who had done this and they didn’t see any increase in coolant temperature. As more people try this we can get some more data on any increase in temperature. Shouldn’t be very expensive to add so if you see any increase in coolant temperatures it would be easy to remove them. Hopefully there will be no problems and we can protect the condenser fins with some simple screens (ideally that match the screens in the back hatch).

Comment

Id like to know how he installed those screens.. as they seem to be on the inside. from what I understand you have to take the front facia off to access the back area... not something I want to try.

However, perhaps he found an easyer way.. I don't think those screens would harm the cooling any more than a bunch of bent finns and lodged debris from doing nothing.

Comment

I wonder if you take the belly pans off if you can reach up and position the grills and attach them with something like ties. I recall the videos that showed the dealer prep adding some covers by that area....

Comment

I remember someone posting they bought carbon fiber pieces for that area..and the only way they could be installed is to take the front fascia off... so.....

I would like to know how that guy installed the screens.

Comment

There is a panel under the bumper on each side that can be removed to access the back of the grills.
                  Ceramic Matrix Gray Metallic LT2 Coupe, black interior, Z51, FE4, carbon flash trim/wheels (chrome wheels on order), edge red calipers, carbon flash/edge red fender hash marks, carbon flash painted ground effects ...

Comment

Originally posted by C808 View Post
                    Id like to know how he installed those screens.. as they seem to be on the inside. from what I understand you have to take the front facia off to access the back area... not something I want to try.

However, perhaps he found an easyer way.. I don't think those screens would harm the cooling any more than a bunch of bent finns and lodged debris from doing nothing.
                    The guy who installed the gutter guard is the youtuber Brink of Speed. He did the installation while the nose was off for a full Captain America wrap he had done. He lives in Texas where the temperature is a bit warm. I don't recall him saying anything about temperature impact.

There was another posting of a guy who used screening supplied by a radiator shop. He claimed there was no impact in temperature in his C8.

Comment

Here is an explanation from the guy

"Just remove the shields below the radiators and slide the grills up into place. Zip tie in the corners using the very small size."

He also put the screen in the side scoops

Click image for larger version  Name:	FB_IMG_1592185115697.jpg Views:	0 Size:	86.0 KB ID:	154475 Click image for larger version  Name:	FB_IMG_1592185222330.jpg Views:	0 Size:	184.0 KB ID:	154476
                      the barcode is the Home Depot skew
                      Last edited by WillRockwell; 06-14-2020, 08:47 PM.
                      Torch red 1LT, no options. Built June 4, received July 2

Comment

I'm planning on installing something. If it's that easy, I'm on it. First 2 things...clear PPF & screens. Although I may add carbon flash really stripes like those on the c8r ending in a point inside the C8 emblem.

Comment

Im not too worried. GM built the vehicle to operate without a special additional screen.

im not rushing to do this and when I get a chance to see how it looks then Ill thrown them on...

i believe forum vender richrat forum vendor is going to sell them so just buy them from him if you want these..

dont worry if you dont get the screen right away... nothing bad is going to happen for probably tens if not hundreds of thousands of miles

Comment

Richrat has some nice ones coming soon. Here is the link https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...patent-pending
                            Rocket City Florida

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                              Im not too worried. GM built the vehicle to operate without a special additional screen.

im not rushing to do this and when I get a chance to see how it looks then Ill thrown them on...

i believe forum vender richrat forum vendor is going to sell them so just buy them from him if you want these..

dont worry if you dont get the screen right away... nothing bad is going to happen for probably tens if not hundreds of thousands of miles
                              JB , there has been a lot of pictures with damaged fins already.
                              Click image for larger version Name:	radiator.JPG Views:	0 Size:	33.9 KB ID:	117599
                              Last edited by Frenzy36; 06-14-2020, 11:50 PM.
                              Rocket City Florida

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X