MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Site Maintenance

Scheduled maintenance will occur at around 07:00 PM Pacific Time on Wednesday August 21st, 2019
See more
See less

Forbidden Thread: C8 Fuel Mileage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The DIC tells me I have gotten 13.2mpg over the almost five year lifetime of my C7 Z06. So 300 miles out of one tank Would be miraculous.

Comment

For shiggles,when I was in college, for one tank of gas I wanted to see what the lowest mileage I could achieve on my 2003 Cobra was. 9 mpg was the answer.
      As for the C8, like most other LSX engines, it's around mid 20s on the highway, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Racer X View Post
        Think it will have start/stop technology?
        If it had this, I would really consider not buying one unless it can be defeated. I am not a fan of this technology.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
          Not worried about it, and unless it only gets something like 12 mpg highway it won't affect my purchase decision. I no longer have a commute, so I don't put neatly as many miles on cars as I used to (although I've managed to put 30K miles on in 3 1/2 years). And my disposable income, while not at the level of some members here (I'm looking at you, Ferrari and Lambo owner!), is enough that I don't need to worry about gasoline.

I would expect the C8 to get similar mileage to the C7, if not better. It might incorporate GM's newer variable displacement technology, which would improve things a bit, and technology marches on.

As for the A10, as JB suggested, I doubt it. For several reasons: One, an ME car won't have a separate transmission and differential like the C7 does. It will have a true transaxle. And I doubt GM will pay the development cost to repackage the A10 into a transaxle format, in addition to the cost of the DCT. Two, the A10 is huge. Even bigger than the A8 in the C7. Making that fit in the space behind the rear axle might be tough (although that could, I suppose, explain the very large rear overhang on the C8 cars we've seen.

Here's a typical transaxle, this one out of the old Ford GT.

Click image for larger version

Name:	street9-600x600.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	15208
          This was funny reading because I get around 12 MPG in my C4 city driving but it goes up to around 20 highway.

I too expect it will be around the C7's mileage per gallon and possibly a bit better.

Comment

18.5 gallons capacity, of course we never run it dry, so say 17 gallons X 30.0 MPG on the highway (speed limit plus 6 MPG), and we could literally get 500 miles on a single tank.

Daily realistic average for me, though I live in the country with our small towns (3 traffic lights total), so I expect day in and day out 24 MPG local.

Now when “driving spiritedly,” no comment...
            Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of NCM.

Comment

Tadge says that when he meets Corvette owners who have driven to a Corvette event for the first time, they always bring up something like, “I got 31 MPG on my trip here,” so while we do not spend much forum time talking about mileage, we are all happy then when we travel, that our Corvettes are economy cars.

Comment

Neither here nor there, but with cylinder de-select my 2014 C7 gives me a fine 35 mpg on the highway. With four cylinders offline, if the C8 comes anywhere close to that I'll be a happy driver.

Comment

AirdaleC7, we are seeing you smiling on your first road trip after you have first put on a few thousand miles on it.

Comment

Is there a way to keep the engine running on all cylinders? With driving 1500 miles per year, the economy is not important to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Fireeagle View Post

If it had this, I would really consider not buying one unless it can be defeated. I am not a fan of this technology.
                      As I first mentioned after my visit to Road America, when the chief mechanical engineer on the C8 said "you don't have to defeat the start/stop, because there isn't one!" At which point a loud round of applause and thumbs up broke out throughout the large crowd.
                      Last edited by George; 08-14-2019, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Swift93 View Post
                        Is there a way to keep the engine running on all cylinders? With driving 1500 miles per year, the economy is not important to me.
                        Do not drive the car forward in “D”, instead only shift with it in “M” 100% of the time using your paddles. Of course, we have to use Park, etc.
                        Last edited by John; 08-14-2019, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post

Do not drive the car forward in “D”, instead only shift with it in “M” 100% of the time using your paddles. Of course, we have to use Park, etc.
                          Thanks, John. I think I'd rather use the M and enjoy the paddle shifting. This is going to be great!

Comment

I assume the Range Technologies OBD2 plug in device to disable AFM would work on a C8 the same as it works on a C7

Comment

Originally posted by Milliwatt Rob View Post
                              I assume the Range Technologies OBD2 plug in device to disable AFM would work on a C8 the same as it works on a C7
                              With the new Global B electronics platform, I'd be surprised if the old one works. Range will probably need to develop a new module.
                              SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                              >33,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

Might the improved anti-hacking capabilities of the C8’s Digital Vehicle Platform no longer make such an option work? Or not work for a few years while Range tries to get into the system...

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X