MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Today’s “Corvette Today” Podcast

Steve Garrett talks with Adam Boca, the National Corvette Museum supervisor for insurance.  Adam explains the advantages of insuring your exotic or Corvette through the NCM...which includes setting a predetermined value for your car, in case of a disaster.  All this for about the same cost as a "big box" insurance company. OK, you bought your Corvette dream car-now you have to insure it. But don't go to a traditional "big box" insurance company.  Insure your Corvette (or exotic car) through the National Corvette Museum
2 of 2 < >

Official C8 Owners Manual, Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

See more
See less

1LT owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1LT owners

For those of you who have logged some miles with the base trim, have you had any issues with visibility?

One of my existing cars, for example, doesn’t have LCA, but I am able to completely eliminate blind spots by adjusting my side mirrors almost all the way out. Is it the same for the C8’s?

Also, how’s the rear view mirror without the camera? Way too small to see anything out back, or is it manageable?

And lack if cross traffic alerts when backing up?
    A big problem or not really?

I’d rather spec a 1LT but would pay extra for 2LT if these visibility aids are must-haves.

Also, forgot to add that I watched a YTer who specced a 1LT, and he said he almost got in a few accidents due to the blind spot, especially on the passenger side. Maybe he didn’t know how to adjust the mirrors, I dunno...

Comment

There can’t be many 1LT owners yet because of the restraints on ordering 1LT’s in the first batch. Then the strike and the shutdown. Handful on here I bet. The rear view mirror camera is a must in my book. Plus the blind spot side mirrors. GM should make that a standard feature in 2021 on all C8’s.
      Last edited by MikeC8; 05-23-2020, 03:56 PM.
      RED ,C8. 2LT Z51.black wheels and trim. .... Order status 6000 car is home in garage
      .VIN.1906

Comment

I am sure that those who ordered and getting a 1LT will adjust their mirror properly, move their head around in their seat toward the center line before changing a line to the right, and turn around over their left shoulder (all three demonstrated in several good videos) to insure that they drive their C8 safely.

At the same time if someone is right now considering “should I get a 1LT or a 2LT coupe,” IMO the rear camera mirror strongly suggests you get the 2LT.
        GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates.Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Great question I'd like to hear more about as well...

The e-mirror sounds cool, but there have been some complaints about that as well, especially for anyone over 45 who has presbyopia (need for reading glasses) and the near-field focus of the electronic mirror vs. the far-field focus of a conventional mirror.

It is also surprising how many drivers don't properly adjust their side view mirrors to fill the blind spot and just adjust them for another direct rear view. I'm not sure if somehow the C8 side mirrors simply can't be adjusted for proper blind spot view, but I doubt it.

And for backing up, even without the e-mirror, you still get the backup cam system, mandatory on on 2018 and later vehicles.
          Last edited by pfbz; 05-23-2020, 04:12 PM.

Comment

I need reading glasses yet the rear camera mirror is excellent for me.

Comment

only a handful of 1 LTs have been built. I have heard that the visibility of course is not as good as the 2 LT with the camera. But no worse than any other Mid engine car. This visiblity to the rear is inherent to all mid engine cars. Possibly in 2021 this mirror may be standard on the 1LT, that is a rumor or possibly an option as it is determined to be a must

Comment

I have not received my 1lt yet, but my procedure for adjusting the mirrors is to move them outward until I cannot see the car, even if I lean toward the mirror. I don't need to see the car, what I need to see is the blind spot

Comment

I believe the same 7 odd grand of the 2 lt luxury package you could just spend the same 7 odd grand and buy the 1lt convertible which has the rear view mirror camera standard unless you want the heated seats,HUD, etc of the 2LT package.

On a coolness scale decide do you want your 7 grand to go towards the little luxury items in the 2LT package or do you want the retractable folding hardtop? Both will net you a rearview mirror with a camera in it.

If you really feel you need that rearview camera feature..you could go either way.

There are rumors the 2021 targa 1lt will come with that wonderful rearview camera mirror but it's still a rumor.

Are you getting a 2020 model year or 2021?

I'd imagine a 2021 will least changes before you have to commit to a list of options ?

Good luck deciding. Both great choices
                  Last edited by JB2; 05-23-2020, 05:49 PM.

Comment

I have a 2LT but have expressed reservations wrt the virtual mirror. That's already been said, but in normal driving I found the conventional mirrors OK. The rear view mirror is not as sharp as a normal car since you are looking through 2 pieces of glass. But it's workable.

The blind spot is most apparent in parking, and this is where the rear park assist comes in. If the 1LT didn't have it I'd say that was a problem, but I checked, and it does.

I quickly learned to precisely reverse into my garage using the reversing camera and sensors only. I don't need to look around.

There is a lot of nice and useful stuff that comes with a 2LT package, But if you're sticking to a budget the 1LT should work fine. There are still a couple of desirable options IMO and they are MRC and NPP.

The only other thing I'd say about a 1LT trim car is that the resale value will be hit because it will be seen as a base car. If you intend to keep a long time that's not a big issue.
                    2020 C8 Corvette ....DOB 02/03/2020.... VIN L5100026
                    Shadow Grey Metallic on Black
                    2LT, Z51 + MRC
                    Spectra Grey Tridents
                    Carbon flash mirrors and spoiler

Residing in sunny Niagara, Ontario.

I'm a Rat and so is my car! (a reference to the Chinese astrological calendar).

Comment

I recall that the HTC camera only works with the top up as it is mounted to it .

Comment

I have a 1LT on order also.I do not forsee any problems as I drove a school bus for many years and a D.O.T. crew truck with 5 state convicts on board everyday. They taught us how to set up our mirrors to eliminate blind spots.(Yes ,the mirrors on those vehicles were gigantic compared with the C8)..!.I am looking forward to seeing it (pun intended)!! for myself later this summer!!

Comment

67C8 with your past driving experience and skill you will be just fine.
                          GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates.Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Is it: Safety quotient.

Is it: a probability function. What is the percentage or measure of greater or lesser risk.

The rear view camera. Blind spot monitoring. Assume perfect driver attentiveness/skill or any lesser level of it.

$Cost of LT2. Personal injury avoidance.

-----------------------
                            Most cars and more and more will have advanced visual assistance tech. If some cars continue to have none, then will the "differential" cause a risk. For example, if the majority with the highTech assume and behave on the expectation that everybody else has equal tech, then does that create risk.
                            ----------------------
                            Query: Does all that tech make us worse and less skillful drivers.

Query: Is a less skillful driver with the Tech, nevertheless, safer than is a higher-skillful driver without the tech?

I have no opinion.

Not to suggest hat h base C8 has none. Its a great car.
                            Last edited by SheepDog; 05-23-2020, 07:25 PM.

Comment

I don’t have the exact link, but BRINK OF SPEED has a side view mirror tutorial in one of his YOUTUBE videos. I tried it in my Toyota Camry and it works great. I realized that I had been improperly adjusting my side mirrors for the past 42 years.
                              Torch Red; 2LT; Z51; Two Tone Adrenaline Red GT2 seats TU7/AH2; Mag Ride FE4; Front Lift E60; Engine Appearance ZZ3; Pewter Rims 5DG; Silver Center Caps RXH; Battery Protection ERI; Yellow Calipers J6E; Yellow Seat Belts 3M9

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X