MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Official C8 Owners Manual, Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

See more
See less

DCT 2 Quart Track Fill > Disassembly Required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DCT 2 Quart Track Fill > Disassembly Required

Add 2qt > NOT required to remove additional fluid.
    DCT fluid/filter change after 24hrs of track use.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot (43).png Views:	0 Size:	1.04 MB ID:	148419
    Last edited by C8Jake; 05-23-2020, 08:34 PM.

Having to replace the tranny fluid after each track day is totally ridiculous, especially when you consider what’s involved.

Comment

The amount of disassembly required to simply add fluid to the DCT is ridiculous. I guess it's a product of the packaging of a DCT, mid engine sports car.

Comment

Thats 24 hours of actual racing accumulated, not every day. Of course if you ran the 24 hours of Le mans or 24 hours of Daytona then after that race you should change tranny filter and fluid. Egon

Comment

In addition to fluid...More prep is needed for tracking (see PDF at link attachment)

https://my.gm.com/content/dam/gmowne...tion-guide.pdf
          Last edited by EL VIEJO; 05-23-2020, 01:53 PM.

Comment

GM Ac/Delco DCT fluid is very pricey. Most will have it done at the dealer.. At $ 42.00 / ltr list price...most dealers will try get close to list price. The best price I have seen online is $ 23.00 / Ltr plus shipping... Then plus the labor if your having it done. Not sure what amount of time they charge or the hourly rate to add 2 ltrs, or change the fluid /and filter completely...but its going to be hundreds of dollars either way.

The air filter air box has to be completely removed to gain access to the DCT fill plug. Its quite a process...

Comment

Originally posted by C808 View Post
              It's quite a process...
              ...indeed it is

Comment

Knowing it’s quite a process, most people who do tracking have a good mechanical aptitude, plus nowadays with YouTube, that kind of process is easy. Sure wish I had YouTube 45 years ago! 😀

Comment

My C8 is getting wrapped right now so I can't check on it, but we should be able to install a remote fill hose that is accessible in the engine bay.

Bring your fill plug into your friendly neighborhood hydraulic supply store (for the thread and o-ring reference) and they should be able to get all the fittings and make up a hose -- steel braid sounds nice!
                  Then make a mount and mount it in the engine bay.
                  Sounds easy to me, but I did that stuff for a living for 25 years .

Even though the DCT has a vent just behind the cooler, it might be slow to fill using the remote fill, but definitely a lot quicker than what we have to do right now.

When I get my baby back, I will check into it & make a list of what is needed.

Sounds like a really good kit for one of our sponsor vendors to put together for us.

Does anyone presently use a pressurized oil fill tank?
                  If so, can you give us a couple of options for good ones.
                  That could be connected securely to the remote fill, when adding oil, to make filling quicker.
                  Last edited by Neil H; 05-23-2020, 03:09 PM. Reason: Query about a pressurized oil fill tank.
                  TPW March 2. 3LT, Z51, FE4, Black GBA, ZZ3, Black interior with Red seats/red stitch HU0 & 2 tone TU7, E60, J6N, RIK, Q8Q, etc.
                  Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Egon View Post
                    Having to replace the tranny fluid after each track day is totally ridiculous, especially when you consider what’s involved.
                    You spend 24 hours on the track during a track day?
                    SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                    >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

On an average full track day, I'll do maybe six 20-25 minute sessions... And maybe 3-4 track days a year, so that would be an additional requirement of DCT fluid service every 3-4 years? Seems more than reasonable.

How many book hours are dealers quoting for a DCT fluid/filter change?

Comment

This does not make sense to me. Why would there be two quarts of capacity unused in the transmission fluid? If it doesn't come filled to capacity, it shouldn't exist.

Comment

It is to compensate for the severe lateral oil movement and it's associated lubrication problems that tracking can lead to.
                          Normal manual transmissions have a fixed oil level and adding an extra 2 L/qts would make the oil aerate/foam and cause lubrication problems.
                          This manual transmission variant must use an oil with special characteristics that don't allow it to aerate easily so that you can leave the extra oil in.
                          One reason to not have the extra 2L in the DCT is to reduce drag created when the countershaft rotates in the higher oil level.
                          TPW March 2. 3LT, Z51, FE4, Black GBA, ZZ3, Black interior with Red seats/red stitch HU0 & 2 tone TU7, E60, J6N, RIK, Q8Q, etc.
                          Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada

Comment

Thank you Neil H. Also addressing the other half of the question has been nicely done previously, e.g., with over 90%, perhaps over 95% of Corvette owners not tracking their cars, GM did not want to increase the Z51’s weight for that vast majority — nor adding in the extra fluid cost.

That does leave the option of GM creating in a new factory order-able option, say “TRAC,” and include the extra two DCT’s as a factory fill, charging the customer the appropriate amount.
                            GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates.Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil H View Post
                              My C8 is getting wrapped right now so I can't check on it, but we should be able to install a remote fill hose that is accessible in the engine bay.

Bring your fill plug into your friendly neighborhood hydraulic supply store (for the thread and o-ring reference) and they should be able to get all the fittings and make up a hose -- steel braid sounds nice!
                              Then make a mount and mount it in the engine bay.
                              Sounds easy to me, but I did that stuff for a living for 25 years .

Even though the DCT has a vent just behind the cooler, it might be slow to fill using the remote fill, but definitely a lot quicker than what we have to do right now.

When I get my baby back, I will check into it & make a list of what is needed.

Sounds like a really good kit for one of our sponsor vendors to put together for us.

Does anyone presently use a pressurized oil fill tank?
                              If so, can you give us a couple of options for good ones.
                              That could be connected securely to the remote fill, when adding oil, to make filling quicker.
                              This - first time I get it apart (when it’s back from prototyping something new in a few weeks 😬) I will be doing the same - likely drilling a hole through the plastic cover to mount the fill cover/cap screw.

BZ

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X