MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Official C8 Owners Manual, Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

See more
See less

Corvette Color & Trim Manager Brett Golliff Talks About the C8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corvette Color & Trim Manager Brett Golliff Talks About the C8

Thanks to “CoolHunting” for this wonderful and informative article. Thank you to CorvetteBlogger for brining it to our attention.

Click image for larger version  Name:	8FCD3EFD-0C27-4405-AF3F-552BEE45BE88.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	167.2 KB ID:	146775

AN EXPERT'S INSIGHTS ON THE INTERIORS, COLORS AND PHILOSOPHY BEHIND THE NEW STINGRAY

Nobody needs a Corvette for its function; they need it for its emotion,” Brett Golliff, Global Color and Trim Design Manager for Chevrolet at General Motors, explains to us. “They need it because it speaks for them; they need it because it brings something else out in them.” The all new, eighth-generation 2020 Corvette Stingray brings out quite bit—something we learned on the track outside of Las Vegas.

By Evan Orensten

Everything about the new Corvette has been elevated—the design is more sophisticated, the details are refined and the performance and handling are remarkable. The removable top (standard, and available in body color, glass or carbon fiber) is a dream. This isn’t just an American sports car or muscle car any longer, it’s now a world-class one. If you’ve driven or been in a earlier model, you’ll still feel like you’re in a Corvette, but one that’s massively evolved. While the more expensive packages provide enhanced materials, options and performance, few will be disappointed with the car’s entry level offering, which starts at $58,900 in the USA.

Golliff took on his all-brand Chevrolet role—storytelling with color, in essence—in 2018. Prior to that, he led color for Chevy’s Corvette and Camaro. General Motors poached him for the position after his years in footwear design. Golliff was looking to leave his advanced product position at New Balance, where he was working on the tech side of running shoes. It was an extension of a childhood dream, and he thought Nike or adidas would be a next step. Both offered him a position—and still he went to GM, where he’s been ever since. Golliff shares his expertise with us, highlighting developments in the most recent Corvette’s interiors and colors, and the philosophy behind it all.

By Evan Orensten

Let’s start with the obvious: the exterior. This looks different than previous generations of Corvette. Why is that?

The obvious answer to that is going to mid-engine. I think what mid-engine really provided us was a new stance and new architecture. It changed the proportion of it pretty dramatically. I do believe there are still cues that are reminiscent of what Corvette is—predominantly through the rear, which I always call the hips. That’s kind of the way I would describe it. You have these aggressive arches that come through. I think that’s very much Corvette. And the way that it’s set up, as well, with this ever-flowing movement, going forward. It looks like it’s going fast when it’s sitting still.

IT LOOKS LIKE IT’S GOING FAST WHEN IT’S SITTING STILL

I think some people heritage-wise will say this doesn’t look like a Corvette, but I think it does when you establish it off of what we have been doing from concept cars over the past 10 to 15 years. I think the one thing that it really, really provided us with though was a new design philosophy: this car, truly no matter what view you take—interior, exterior and motor—was approached at the exact same time. And that philosophy really brought us together as a studio. We all had to work together with each other and know that whatever change is happening over there is affecting us in here, too. We had to make sure that we’re all going toward a common goal.

When you think of Corvette in the past, there were elements of it that were always done really, really well but there were a lot of elements that could get better. Interior was always one of those. It kind of had the personality of like, “Hey I’ve got a phenomenal drive and motor experience but maybe not this overall, for lack of better term ‘luxury experience.'” We really wanted to make sure that we brought this up to the level that it deserved to be.

Courtesy of Jessica Walker

Are there opportunities that a car like this presents that not all the other products in the portfolio do?

There’s obviously an energy and a mystique that’s around the name Corvette that gets people excited, no matter what. But I think the way I look at this vehicle is that it offers a very, very true indication of what it needs to accomplish. Not every vehicle always has this list of goals that it has to get through. If you have something for the masses, you do not need to make sure that it can go to zero to 60 in 2.9 seconds. It doesn’t necessarily have to go and take five Gs on a turn. For us, there’s this checklist that you make sure that you have to go and achieve and I think that as a functional standpoint gives everybody something to attain—something that they have to hit.

Courtesy of Chevrolet

How do you achieve something like this?

Depending on how you look at this project, you could argue that it’s 15 years in the making or you can argue that it’s 65 years in the making. Whatever it may be, bringing that together is a huge piece. We all are after one obtainable goal, and we’re all going to work toward it: a truly functional product. There can be a lot of passion in some of conversations at times, but all of us really, really work well together to make it happen. And I think that that’s a big element of what you see here.

Courtesy of Chevrolet

What about some of the materials that you’re using on the Corvette. Anything new, different or exciting to work with?

By the time you get to the top level of interior, the entire thing is all Napa leather. That comes standard with a suede headliner, and then you’ll have the option of suede for the steering wheel and a seating surface. These pieces are tied to what package you choose. A few of the things that I think we really elevated are in the simple details. Our stitching went from a 135 thickness, which is like an industry standard, to 210. In previous years [we had] accent stitching, but it was like that stitching was truly there as a function, whereas now it’s really calling out the craft and the quality. Somebody’s actually going in and stitching that and it becomes a part of the visual. When you look at these cockpit pieces you know that it’s kind of calling out the line that follows you through the idea of “this was to keep you moving forward.”

Courtesy of Chevrolet

What value does this bring?

I don’t think it’s any secret that traditionally people feel like American sports cars don’t pay attention to the interior. I would argue that the interior—in more ways than one—is becoming some of the most important parts to a lot of vehicles. It doesn’t matter where you’re at in the world and what it is, but I think why it’s important to the core of that is it accentuates the true driving experience. We really looked at the color of each material as a second portion of what the car speaks to you. You know I’ve referenced it a few times but this idea of making it look like it’s moving as it’s sitting still. But, then also continuing like this idea of a crown jewel that’s behind you. That is the motor right, I mean. We really want to tell you that if you have a mid-engine car, it’s living up to everything that’s expected.
    https://coolhunting.com/design/insid...esign-manager/
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates.Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Grazie John for another informative article from a Corvette Manager!!!

Comment

Touché! Ditto & Amen!!

Bill
      GD0 Accelerate Yellow Metallic; 3LT; HUE Natural Napa Leather; AE4 Competition Sport Seats; FA5 CF Interior Trim; Z51; FE4 Mag Ride Suspension; E60 Front Lift; Q8Q CF Open Spoke Wheels; J6F BR Brembo Calipers; RCC ER Intake Cover; DTH CF Racing Stripes; ZZ3 Engine App Package; VQK Splash Guards; ERI Battery Protection; R8C Museum Delivery

Proud LTM NCM.

Comment

Awesome! Thank you!
        Future: 2020 C8 Z51 3LT Torch Red - 3000 status
        Current: 2014 C7 Z51 3LT Torch Red
        Prior: 1992 C4, 1995 C4 2002 C5, 2005 C6, 2010 C6

Comment

PLEASE, PLEASE GM give him the freedom to drive colors towards the 'exciting' level. I am soooo tired of Black (sorry John), White and Gray. How about matte, matte metallic, and bright 'in your face' colors. I'm 74 years old. You want younger buyers like Ferrari, Lambo, etc.... don't force 'em to wrap 'em to get the colors they really want. For example, our Bentley is ICE, a $5715 option (metallic white). There are 5 other 'optional' whites as well as a half dozen 'blacks' plus more grays that you can count in their 140+ standard colors. Anybody at GM think how much people are payin' for wraps to get what they want???

Comment

Originally posted by tooold2race View Post
            PLEASE, PLEASE GM give him the freedom to drive colors towards the 'exciting' level. I am soooo tired of Black (sorry John), White and Gray. How about matte, matte metallic, and bright 'in your face' colors. I'm 74 years old. You want younger buyers like Ferrari, Lambo, etc.... don't force 'em to wrap 'em to get the colors they really want. For example, our Bentley is ICE, a $5715 option (metallic white). There are 5 other 'optional' whites as well as a half dozen 'blacks' plus more grays that you can count in their 140+ standard colors. Anybody at GM think how much people are payin' for wraps to get what they want???
            Patience, patience, patience! This is Corvette country, not the Royal Family’s garage!
            GD0 Accelerate Yellow Metallic; 3LT; HUE Natural Napa Leather; AE4 Competition Sport Seats; FA5 CF Interior Trim; Z51; FE4 Mag Ride Suspension; E60 Front Lift; Q8Q CF Open Spoke Wheels; J6F BR Brembo Calipers; RCC ER Intake Cover; DTH CF Racing Stripes; ZZ3 Engine App Package; VQK Splash Guards; ERI Battery Protection; R8C Museum Delivery

Proud LTM NCM.

Comment

” Brett Golliff, Global Color and Trim Design Manager for Chevrolet at General Motors,.

Brett - The different color combinations that are offered on this new C8 are wonderful. Both interior - dip or full dip and exterior - body colored side vents or standard flash.
              Seeing many different combinations at Carlisle this past August gave us quite a thrill.
              Roger
              Click image for larger version

Name:	L1100980.JPG
Views:	596
Size:	2.90 MB
ID:	146842
              NCM Lifetime 2010, USAF retired 22 years, Licensed A&P Aircraft Mechanic, Taught A&P at Rice Aviation, Lubbock Texas. Aircraft I was qualified to work on and teach: DC 8, DC 9,707,727,737,747,B-52D,F,G,H, KC-135A,CL-215 Water Bomber ,CL-600. Corvettes owned - 54, 59, 62 Restomod,, 67 coupe, 67 conv restomod, 80, 85, 88, 12 Conv Carlisle Blue, 12 ZR1, 13 GS(2),15, 2015 Z06 Callaway ,2017, 2020 694

Comment

What color exterior and interior did Brett Golliff choose for his own?

Comment

That is a great question.
                  Maybe, we could see pictures of his choice.
                  Roger
                  NCM Lifetime 2010, USAF retired 22 years, Licensed A&P Aircraft Mechanic, Taught A&P at Rice Aviation, Lubbock Texas. Aircraft I was qualified to work on and teach: DC 8, DC 9,707,727,737,747,B-52D,F,G,H, KC-135A,CL-215 Water Bomber ,CL-600. Corvettes owned - 54, 59, 62 Restomod,, 67 coupe, 67 conv restomod, 80, 85, 88, 12 Conv Carlisle Blue, 12 ZR1, 13 GS(2),15, 2015 Z06 Callaway ,2017, 2020 694

Comment

Originally posted by tooold2race View Post
                    Anybody at GM think how much people are payin' for wraps to get what they want???
                    probably not 🙄

Comment

We do not know for sure what color Brett chose for his own C8, but in talking with him about the different color options I learned he has a crush on Rapid Blue with the two tone blue interior. Perhaps It is that triple blue.
                      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates.Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                        We do not know for sure what color Brett chose for his own C8, but in talking with him about the different color options I learned he has a crush on Rapid Blue with the two tone blue interior. Perhaps It is that triple blue.
                        That was my first and only color option when I saw the introduction. After seeing one sitting at the factory in the sunlight, I was thrilled with my choice.
                        Rapid Blue 3LT, HTO Tension Blue, Z51, 5ZZ, E60, ZZ3, ZYC, FE4, J6N, FA5, Q8Q, SHW, VJR, C2Q, R8C

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X