MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 4 < >

Advantages of ME Over FE Configuration! Patent for Variable Width Spoiler

2 of 4 < >

C8 Caught In The Wild California Testing! Best 7 ME Videos! Inside BGA : Jagamajajaran’s Video

3 of 4 < >

2019 Grand Sport Drivers Series Officially Revealed Tomorrow. LIst of C8 Poential Patents. Considerations In Modeling The C8

4 of 4 < >

Site Maintenance Starts @ 5:00 PM Today

Yesterday’s massive software update resulted in 3 things needing help. Some already corrected. Today we get up to a one hour maintenance/update time out.
See more
See less

GM Buyouts Not Effect BGA In All Likelihood

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There were also a number of senior engineers (with 15+ years at the company) who took the severance and went directly into early retirement.

Lot's of factors to consider, as you rightly point-out Boomer, but for many a buy-out can be a good thing.
    Current Vettes:
    '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
    '91 Turquoise Convertible w/hardtop
    '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust - Ordered on 4-1-2014, 2000 Status on 4-10-2014, TPW 5-12-2014, Built on 5-16-2014, Picked-up at dealership on 5-30-2014
    "Delta t = 23"

Comment

It sure can be. However, I am still waiting for someone to intereject one single fact in this thread, that a single salaried employee working with BGA was offered the opportunity for a buyout. As the CNN article notes, it was offered to 36% of GM’s salaried employees, and GM got those choose (duh) which ones they were offering it to. Might we not expect that 100% of the salaried employees for those divisions poorly poorly, e.g., sedans, were offered the buy out opportunity, but that none involved in the ME operations were even given the opportunity to take advantage of one.

I stand to be corrected once that single fact is offered.
      So many questions about the ME right now; so few answers yet.

Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. A ME C8 Corvette is coming next.

Comment

Sounds purely plausible to me John. Maybe nobody at BG has been offered a buyout.

Comment

We have lots to learn. And that statement sure applies to so much of what we are discussing. Please GM, give us some new news! Or at least show us some ME’s testing somewhere.

Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. A ME C8 Corvette is coming next.

Comment

BGA only has 200 salaried total so it is obvious that there is work spread out into the corporate structure. BGA is not encapsulated to just that one site, unless part of the 200 are deployed outside of BGA? Who knows but when I saw BG only has 200 salaried there it is evident that there is other "corvette" related "work" in other physical locations that will charge their time to that business unit. Really not that big of a deal just people are very emotional about the car and think BGA has to be different that the rest of the company imho.

Comment

I believe John started with a misunderstanding at the top of this thread. It is NOT "selected" employees. It is an offer that is voluntary. It applies to ALL salaried staff with 12+ years of service.

GM CEO Mary Barra on Wednesday sent an email to all 50,000 salaried GM employees in North America saying the automaker is offering voluntary buyouts to those with 12 years or more experience. GM has 17,700 salaried employees who meet that criteria, and "most global executives are eligible," the memo said.
              This is a standard first step in staff reduction. Next is involuntary layoffs.

The company has said it will consider layoffs if not enough workers take the buyout.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...ut/1859186002/

Comment

Thank you for the FREEP article additional information.

Comment

Originally posted by Bikerjulio View Post
                  I believe John started with a misunderstanding at the top of this thread. It is NOT "selected" employees. It is an offer that is voluntary. It applies to ALL salaried staff with 12+ years of service.

This is a standard first step in staff reduction. Next is involuntary layoffs.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...ut/1859186002/
                  Yes that was the premise of the action to reduce across the entire corporation... It is done all of the time and then backfilling occurs with lower priced younger labor. Thought I said that above.
                  Last edited by Busa Dave; 11-05-2018, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Over on the GMinsidenews forum I found that layoffs have affected Warren Technical Center, Milford Proving Grounds and various other locations. Engineers, IT employees, Design Managers and others have been affected.

Comment

Wonder if the preponderance of those, if not all, were working on combustion power trains.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                        Wonder if the preponderance of those, if not all, were working on combustion power trains.
                        If they were and those positions has similar "skill set" requirements in other parts of the Corporation because remember this is Corporate wide salary. I would love to be one of the lawyers representing them. That being said this is all about lowering the average salary per head so I would imagine most of the layoffs will be for more shall we say tenured workers not the ones right out of college 5 or 10 years or recently promoted. That is the way it works with the big boys and the corresponding HR policies. Keeps the lawsuits down--good news is tight labor market for the unemployed. This is just the way it works in today's workplace.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X