Zora’s Electric Hub Motors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zora’s Electric Hub Motors

Here is a boost for those of us who are hearing that the 2020 Zora model will not only have 800 HP from a 5.5L, 32V, DOHC, TT, V8, but roughly +200 HP electric motors inside its front wheel hubs.

Thanks to Autoline, we are learning of a specific, quite possible option to manufacture such motors by a well known automotive supplier, and timing for the 2020 Zora could be just right.

Please go to 1:15 of this video (through 1:50) for more information on how Linamar is partnering with Protean Electric on this project for electric hub motors.

Of course, nothing has ever been confirmed that the 2020 Zora will ever exist, let along that it is using electric hub motors. However...

http://www.autoline.tv/journal/?p=58056
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Hub motors are ok. But, there is that unsprung weight. For my money, put the motors inboard with halfshafts. Better cooling too.

Comment

Electric hub motors are an interesting possibility, but it brings to mind a number of questions:
      - Increased unsprung mass (!)
      - Elimination of front brake rotors, through the incorporation of regenerative braking?
      - Rotational mass/inertia effects during accel/decel

I can see this tech possibly working on a minivan, but I do wonder if it's ready for one of the highest performance vehicles in the world...

We'll know in just a few years (or less).

My C8:
      '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package 2000 Status December 27, 2019; 3000 Status January 2, 2020; 3400 Status March 10, 2020;TPW March 16, 2020; Built June 4th, 2020 (COVID-19); Delivery July 1, 2020

Current Vettes:
      '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
      '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
      '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

I love being on a forum with smart people. Really good points. Thank you.
        GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by Shrike6 View Post
          Hub motors are ok. But, there is that unsprung weight. For my money, put the motors inboard with halfshafts. Better cooling too.
          I agree with Shrike6 and Mobius I would not be interested in any ME with any electrical drivetrain personally.
          Rocket City Florida- 2001 ZO6 - 2013 427 Vert - 2020 Stingray

Comment

I wouldnt buy an awd electric hub motor c8 with twin turbos for the dohc motor because Im a cheap old ******* and i feel five hundred naturally aspirated ohv powerplants are sufficient for me to have fun.

meanwhile the ideaof such a hybrid drivetrain is quite fascinating.

possibly carbon fiber wheels could offset a good portion of the unsprung weight. (Mustang gt350r specs could shed light on how much unsprung weight could be saved)

the corvette team could also shed as much as 25 lbs going from runflat tires to non runflat...

combing those two weight saving ideas along with carbon fiber brake rotors could save even more unsprung weight...

could this negate the added weight of hub electric motors?

anything is possible but one must wonder at what cost..

figure top dollar with unbelievable track performances if true.

Comment

Our forum poll for the 2020 entry ME came up with an average 0-60 time of 3.35 seconds. That is extremely fast.

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...tion-500-hp-me
              Last edited by John; 11-03-2018, 12:04 AM.

Comment

I will never be able to afford Zora, but am intrigued about learning more about the electric hub motors. Whether they are part of Zora, or Chevy pickup or SUV.
                Enjoying my Shadow gray C8. What a car it is.

Comment

Just for acceleration reference..the porsche 718 s with pdk weighs in at 3159 lbs with 350 hp and accelerates to sixty in 3.6 seconds ..

quarter mile in 11.7 @ 117 mph

Porsche 911s pdk weighs in at 3363 lbs with 420 hp and accelerates to sixty in 3.1 seconds and the quarter mile 11.4 @ 123 mph.

im hopeful the rear mid engine corvette when tested by the same publication with their test procedures will be closer to the 911s with pdk.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ic-test-review

the manufacturers officialacceleration times is probably .4 ths behind so our forums estimation of 3.35 seconds to sixty for a c8 dct from manufacturing testing sounds about right.

car and driver tends to be a little quicker ...(maybe their drag strip is Slightly down hill? )
                  Last edited by JB; 11-03-2018, 05:56 AM.

Comment

Interestingly enough official porsche acceleration times for the pdk 911s is 6 tenths of a second slower than car and driver testing...

https://www.porsche.com/usa/models/9...911-carrera-s/

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                      Our forum poll for the 2020 entry ME came up with an average 0-60 time of 3.35 seconds. That is extremely fast.

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...tion-500-hp-me
                      Seems a bit optimistic to me, I’m thinking more like 3.5. On topic though I definitely have some interest in an American, V8 car specially a Vette. A lot will depend on the specifics of this though. I like the idea, but execution is different. If they find a way to keep the overall weight under 3700 and remove some of the added unsprung weight it could be great. 0-60 in 2.5!! Heck ya!

Comment

With GM’s lightweighting program they have been embracing, I am hoping for an entry weight of 3,320 pounds.

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...weight-will-be

One of the best videos I have ever seen (2 minutes long):

https://video.marketing.gm.com/10508...-weighting.mp4

GM has been able to use it to reduce weight by 40% for a specific part, increase strength 20% in the process, and for at least one component, reduce its number of parts from 8 separate parts to just one.

Click image for larger version  Name:	B6AB97B6-3468-45BC-89C9-C8F6F4105B09.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	235.4 KB ID:	14504
                        Last edited by John; 11-03-2018, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Now that's fascinating!

Comment

Unsprung mass of the motor is not the only problem with hub motors. Just like internal combustion engines, high RPM electric motors have a much higher power to weight ratio than slow turning, high torque motors. EVs typically use gear reduction of roughly 9:1. You could have reduction gears in the hub but that adds a lot of unsprung mass.
                            Last edited by Dimwit; 11-16-2018, 02:00 AM.

Comment

Thanks for joining us Dimwit. Nice that you are already adding to our knowledge. Thank you very much.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X