Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 4 < >

Corvette Today’s News That “Corvette Fever” Returns

Corvette Fever magazine has not been published for a while. But Alan Colvin, a walking encyclopedia of GM cars as well as Corvette, has purchased the rights to Corvette Fever and has revived this publication! https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...-Colvin-euvkq2. Your CORVETTE TODAY host, Steve Garrett, visits with Alan to talk about the books he's written on Corvette and other GM products, his history with the old Corvette Fever magazine and how he plans to revive the publication. Plus, listen to this podcast and register to win one of 3-two year subscriptions to Corvette Fever that we're giving away exclusively on this episode! Listen to this CORVETTE TODAY podcast and win a subscription to Corvette Fever magazine!!!
2 of 4 < >

SGTMAJ USMC AUTO & TOY HAULER Joins MECF As A Featured Forum Vendor.

Welcome to SGTMAJ USMC USMC AUTO & TOY HAULER! We are so happy to have you now join us as a MECF Featured Forum Vendor. We can not wait to help your new business grow. We know you will provide a great transport service to our members and others!
3 of 4 < >

Z06 Potential Patents

As we get ready for the Z06’s debut sometime in the next year, IMO time to brush up on the 23 GM C8 patents — many of which are Z06 potentials: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...alized-patents
See more
See less

Frunk Covering Windshield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frunk Covering Windshield

If its not too much trouble Id like a bit of advice on how to approach a mechanical issue I recently had with my c8. As I was driving down the road at approx 30 mph the front hood flew open and bent back hinges and covered windshield doing a little damage to trunk lid and hinges in the process.

My question is as follows- Should gm pay for this? Neither I nor my passenger hit any buttons of which I am aware. The key fob could have turned in my pocket I suppose but I don't remember that at all. Also I thought there was some sort of safety latch. Anyway I took it to a local dealer who said he called GM and they wouldn't pay as it was my fault. I don't want to hate on GM as they build what I consider to be the best car at any price and have really worked with me in the past. I remember way back in the 80s with an 86 vet when I was stuck and couldn't afford repairs they did me a huge solid and the gentleman on the phone said dont ever forget the General and 5 vettes later I haven't and want to do the right thing.

Im considering just paying for it and moving on and would certainly do so if I remembered pushing trunk button but neither I nor my passenger remember it happening. I also don't remember a red light but that doesn't mean there wasn't one on.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Blkc8

Sorry to hear that happened. You wouldn't think even if you hit the Frunk button that it would NOT enable it to open without sliding a latch. I'm sure others will test it and chime in who have their cars already. Fortunately it didn't happen at 70 or 80.
    Welcome to the Forum.
    Last edited by Frenzy36; 04-17-2020, 02:30 PM.
    Rocket City Florida- 2001 ZO6 - 2013 427 Vert - 2020 Stingray

Comment

Are you 100% sure it was closed fully? The closure is a 2-click process.

This the first case I've read.
      2020 C8 Corvette.D.O.B 2/03/2020
      Shadow Grey Metallic on Black
      2LT, Z51 + MRC. GT1 seats.
      Spectra Grey Tridents.
      Carbon flash mirrors and spoiler.

Comment

I had an owner come in to tell me that he could not close the frunk. He missed the part in my delivery where I mention that closing the frunk is a two step process as the first catch is to allow the cord for the trickle charger to not get pinched. This will not be the last time this happens.

Comment

yes, the frunk is a two latch process. Where in your journey did it happen? If it happened as you took off and you just had the frunk open then it may be your fault. If it was awhile since you had been in the frunk then maybe a GM issue. Look closely at the latch if it is in disrepair itself or faulty you will know. Getting GM to take responsibility MAY be a problem. But, you are at the right place and welcome. If this occurrs again to another forum member then it will be reported here and you can compare notes.
          Good Luck and I am sorry to hear that your car has damage.

Comment

For one you would think that if not fully latched down that there would be a light on dash/DIC come on as a warning
            and the other is once car is moving that the electronics would prevent the frunk latch from electronic opening ?
            Corvettes owned, wrenched on and raced since 1975:
            1974,75,77,84,87,89,91,93,94 ZR-1 & 1999 Mallett 435

Comment

So I just checked my C8.. 2 clicks to close.... However, when opening with touch pad or key fob. It opens and that's it.. NO safety latch to move with your fingers.. The front trunk hood is free and ready to open up or be blown up at speed if your moving..

Because the front hood needs to be pushed down by hand..sometimes people ( me) wait till I have a towel or cloth to push it down...and perhaps get side tracked and forget.

I would hate to think it could pop up at speed if I was fidgeting in my pocket and hit the fob by accident … seems like and issue ..

I am always locking, unlocking, and making the alarm sound in my camry..because the keys are in my pocket and a button gets pushed when I sit down or lean against something..

Sorry to hear this happened to you.. I think its an oversite on GM's part ...and I think they should pay ..and provide a TSB and solution to all..

Comment

I'd take it in to the dealer and ask. Worst case is the dealer says no to warranty service, but it might get reported back to GM and if it happens to enough owners, you might get the repair cost reimbursed at a later time.

Originally posted by Teamzr1 View Post
                For one you would think that if not fully latched down that there would be a light on dash/DIC come on as a warning
                and the other is once car is moving that the electronics would prevent the frunk latch from electronic opening ?
                Good point. Has anyone checked to see if a door ajar light comes on when the frunk is at one click?
                2021 Red Mist HTC / Z51 /Mag Ride / Yellow Calipers / C-Flash Mirrors and Wing / Front Lift / Black 3LT / CF Interior Trim / Yellow Belts and Stitching

Atomic Orange C6. Plenty of engine and suspension mods. Gone, but not forgotten

Comment

lastzr1, we are all so sorry this happened. Best of luck on a positive resolution. As it shows on the key fob that it takes a double click on the frunk operating icon, I doubt your having it in your pocket resulted in that double click.

As suggested above, someone could please now test their C8 and confirm that when it is parked if the frunk is only half closed (only that first catch), when the car is turned on, does it show on the driver IP that the frunk is not properly closed. [Sorry my C8 is not at home or I would do that right now.]
                  GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by C808 View Post
                    However, when opening with touch pad or key fob. It opens and that's it.. NO safety latch to move with your fingers.. The front trunk hood is free and ready to open up or be blown up at speed if your moving..
                    THIS seems like a potentially serious design oversight. All cars are designed to have a double latch on the hood to prevent it from opening at speed. What you describe doesn't sound like it meets that requirement.

§ 571.113 Standard No. 113; Hood latch system.

S1. Purpose and scope. This standard establishes the requirement for providing a hood latch system or hood latch systems.

S2. Application. This standard applies to passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks, and buses.

S3. Definitions. Hood means any exterior movable body panel forward of the windshield that is used to cover an engine, luggage, storage, or battery compartment.

S4. Requirements.

S4.1 Each hood must be provided with a hood latch system.

S4.2 A front opening hood which, in any open position, partially or completely obstructs a driver's forward view through the windshield must be provided with a second latch position on the hood latch system or with a second hood latch system.
                    OP, you should report this to NHTSA via their website. A recall may be ordered if this happens to multiple people.
                    Current C7:SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Status 3300, TWP 5/??: 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, FE2, NPP Nickname TBD

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

I checked. At the first click there's a big "trunk open" warning in the DIC with a graphic. Hard to miss.

Then, somewhat hilariously, a message comes up saying "maximum speed 132 km/hr"

A little at odds with the manual p21

Do not drive the vehicle if the hood is not latched completely. The hood could open fully, block your vision, and cause a crash. You or others could be injured. Always close the hood completely before driving.
                      The other, remote possibility is that some piece of luggage shifted and hit the emergency exit button.

I wonder if that DIC message is a holdover from some other GM vehicle that slipped through the QC net?
                      Last edited by Bikerjulio; 04-17-2020, 02:44 PM.
                      Spectra Grey Tridents.

Comment

If seems like if the car is in gear it should deactivate the remote to open up any if the hatches, particularly the frunk.

Perhaps a bug that was missed or no one thought of it. It should be easy enough for them to fix via an OTA update.

Hopefully they are tracking all these issues and release a monthly patch like for your phone.

Comment

You would think that since a partial latch generates a DIC warning, that one of the car's computers would show it in history, especially if the car is moving.

I wonder if an event like this is searchable?

OP does not say what the dealer did with the car. Seems like GM knows everything that goes on with it.
                          Spectra Grey Tridents.

Comment

Thanks so much for the welcoming and feedback. I cant say 100% the button wasn't pressed but I can say 100% I didn't release a latch because I would have to get out of car for that I think. I was just driving around town enjoying sundown and pulled over for 20 mins but didnt get out but when I left after stopping it happened instantly almost.

The button I maybe inadvertently hit while messing with phone or something but the latch seems impossible. Also if I had driven a long time with trunk open Id have probably noticed. Who knows. Maybe I didnt shut it all the way from a long time ago and never noticed. Seems unlikely though as its an awesome new car and I am particular about things like that.

Again, Im not pretending I know what happened but I do know approximately how fast I was going and it was only around 30. For this reason Id urge you all to double check trunk when closing as it doesn't take much at all to flip it up if unlatched. Luckily nobody hurt this time but it could have been different.

Ill see what GM has to say and move on I guess. Good news is I can still drive it with warped hood

Thanks Again

Comment

Has anyone tried driving slowly and pushing the frunk release button on the driver’s door and/or double pressing the key fob frunk release? Interesting that the owner’s manual says the vehicle has to be in Park when describing the driver’s door button but does not say that when describing the key fob. I’m really surprised that there is no secondary mechanical latch that has to be released ANYTIME you are opening the frunk, like every front engine car hood in the last 30+ years. That secondary mechanical latch is there precisely to prevent this from happening.

Sorry this had to happen to you. We will all have to be extremely careful about closing the frunk and making sure we don’t accidentally bump the button on the door.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X