Ferrari Working On Hybrid ME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ferrari Working On Hybrid ME

Here is a lingering interesting thesis, which while no words other than its title, “Ferrari Hybrid MidEngine Spied In Fiorano,” has some interesting pictures. Here are the primary two of them.

Click image for larger version  Name:	B53D550D-B583-427F-85FE-F85E6D6A7207.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	89.1 KB ID:	13338

Click image for larger version  Name:	9F98C970-FB64-48E9-A173-D12C4E125105.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	88.8 KB ID:	13339

https://andoniscars.blogspot.com/201...-spied-in.html

Is the C8 causing this, or is this coincidental to the mid engine Corvette’s future development, as we strongly believe the C8 will also come out in either hybrid or all electric (e-Ray) form within a few years, and this is just Ferrari doing its best to parallel0acknowledge that the sports car world, just like non sports cars, is moving toward having an electrified component?

What do you think?
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Adrian Newey discusses the Valkyrie and some aspects of hybrid that I hadn't thought of:

You talk about it being a hypercar that is comfortable in traffic. Can you really do the supermarket run in it?
    AN: For the kind of low-speed tractability and comfort you need if you’re stuck in traffic, then the downside of any high-revving, highly-tuned engine is that its low-speed tractability might be poor. We, therefore, put an electric motor in for low-speed work, which obviously boosts the power as well, and performs various other functions. Also, if you have an electric motor you don’t need a starter motor, you don’t need an alternator. You don’t need a reverse gear; you can reverse using the e-motor. Those elements went a long way to cancelling out the weight of the electric motor because we could leave other bits off.
    The whole piece with photos of the hyperist hyper car ever here: https://www.grandprix247.com/2018/10...weekend-hobby/

I think that this is just the way tho whole market is going. Hybrid, that is.
    Last edited by Bikerjulio; 10-22-2018, 02:44 PM.
    2020 C8 Corvette.D.O.B 2/03/2020
    Shadow Grey Metallic on Black
    2LT, Z51 + MRC. GT1 seats.
    Spectra Grey Tridents.
    Carbon flash mirrors and spoiler.

Comment

The car market has ran with cycles producing electric cars for many years. The simple fact is there are no cost savings and also pollute just as much if not more that conventional combustion engines because of the mining involved to produce the special metals and are highly impractical . Hybrid may be an acceptable solution as if there were a hurricane for example and it knocks out the grid an electric car would be completely useless. What is the history of electric cars?

by John Fuller

The First Electric Car
      Prev NEXT

The first practical electric car may have been built by the English inventor Thomas Parker in 1884.
      AP Photo

Although people had been trying with zeal to develop a self-propelled road vehicle for centuries -- it was world renowned painter, sculptor, inventor and scientist Leonardo da Vinci who designed a primitive version of the car way back in the 15th century -- yet it wasn't until the late 19th century that the age of the automobile really began. Cars at this point in history became a plausible form of transportation after years of tinkering by restless, curious inventors. And gasoline engines weren't the only ideas floating around. Electric motors, diesel engines and steam engines were all possibilities during the 19th century, and competition would become fierce. Green driving wasn't necessarily a concern; just getting the cars to work correctly was the most important issue.

So, when was the world's first electric car built? Well, that depends on your definition. The first working electric motor and electric vehicle, a small locomotive that used two electromagnets, a pivot and a battery, was built by Thomas Davenport, an American from Vermont, in 1834 or 1835. Thinking about the time period can be surprising -- in 1834, Andrew Jackson was the seventh president of the United States, English poet Samuel Taylor Coleridge passed away and French painter Edgar Degas was born. The material for Davenport's electromagnetic design, however, was simply too expensive at the time, and it would be several decades before electric cars would be practical.
      Rocket City Florida- 2001 ZO6 - 2013 427 Vert - 2020 Stingray

Comment

My wonderful wife has always said, the day we hear that starting the next model Corvette is going to be without a combustion motor, is the day we buy a brand new Corvette, put it one of those climate controlled bubbles, and have it in reserve when our current Corvette is no longer fixable. She is a strong “green” person, but our drives in all electric vehicles have left us both far from satisfied, e..g, no exhaust music.

As to the thesis that Ferrari is developing a hybrid motor as a result of the C8 coming out, I am not personally agreeing with it — for almost manufacturers, including Corvette with its upcoming “e-Ray,” are moving at least in the direction of having a hybrid or an all electric version.

Ergo, IMO, Ferrari is doing its thing; separately, Corvette is doing our thing, and neither is reacting to the other, instead each on their own trajectory (though similar because of market forces).
        GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

If Ferrari is at the point of track testing a hybrid ME car, it's been in development for years, well before the "E-ray" name was trademarked by GM.

And Ferrari already built and sold a hybrid ME. Absurdly expensive, but it demonstrates they did this before Chevy:

https://auto.ferrari.com/en_US/sport...els/laferrari/

Click image for larger version

Name:	bg-header.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	13348
          Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

the Koenigsegg Agera, ( fastest production car in the world at 279mph) has no transmission at all. It has an electric motor on the ICE engine, and 2 electric motors on the rear wheels. BUT, the real trick part is the torque converter. Not like your uncles buick. State of the art, it seamlessly controls acceleration from 0 to 280 mph with converter torque magic. No shifting at all, it just pulls continually . Electric motors are just used for slow speed and starting the engine. Horsepower is close to 1500 all in.
            3LT Long Beach Red , Z51, FE4 , ZZ3, Black interior ,38S red stitching, Q8T, FA5, ER1, CFX, and R8C

Comment

The days of all-engine sports cars are coming to a close. It will be a sad day when one can't buy a non-hybrid sports car, and I believe that day is not far off. It'll be akin to when the NA Ferrari V12 gets put on the shelf.

I'm a fairly young guy, and am looking forward to buying the highest hp, non-hybrid, all engine ME that GM makes, as I believe such won't even be available by the time the C9 arrives. I'll have a long time left in my life (Good Lord willing) to drive hybrid rigs. These all-engine rigs will be special, and I'll be keeping them.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
              Working...
              X