Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Corvette Today Podcast: Corvette News/Headlines

With the reveal of the new mid-engine C8 Z06 next week, this CORVETTE TODAY News & Headlines episode is a “must listen-to” podcast! https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/corve...OSfY9cINY1UxSw Your CORVETTE TODAY host, Steve Garrett, teams up again with Keith Cornett from CorvetteBlogger.com to bring you the hottest headlines in the world of Corvette…including the latest on the C8 Z06 reveal on October 26th! Here are a few of the topics covered in this podcast:

1. The C8 Z06 will make public debut at the Petersen Automotive Museum on October 26
2. GM makes a change to 2022 Corvette ordered with Z51 and the high wing
3. C8 Corvette ranked 2nd on the list of the fastest selling cars in September 2021
4. C8 E-Rays are testing in Colorado and outside the Nurburgring in Germany
5. A 95 year old WWII veteran is moved to the head of the line to get his 2022 Corvette
6. Mazzanti to build a Corvette-powered Italian supercar with 761 horsepower
7. A truckload of C8’s goes up in flames
8. Watch a video of BGA building right-hand drive C8 Corvettes

You’ll know everything we know when you listen to this CORVETTE TODAY podcast!

Listen here: https://adori.page.link/corvette-today
Watch CORVETTE TODAY on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXC...lOPPQ/featured
See more
See less

Check these before losing them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check these before losing them

Seems someone is forgetting to use the mounting screws for this front corners aero piece
    Not sure who is responsible to mount these, BGP or a dealer ?

Reported on at least 2 C8s and each side has 3 mounts points and the screws were not installed in either so the pieces are just partly mounted and loose

Look on underside and see if each has 3 mounting screws and without the screws the pieces are bouncing around marring the paint

Click image for larger version  Name:	missing-screws.jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.6 KB ID:	133119

Click image for larger version  Name:	missi.jpg Views:	0 Size:	104.6 KB ID:	133118
    Last edited by Teamzr1; 03-30-2020, 11:58 AM.
    Corvettes owned, wrenched on and raced since 1975:
    1974,75,77,84,87,89,91,93,94 ZR-1 & 1999 Mallett 435

Those would have been done by BGA.
    Every time I see those cooling coils exposed it makes me cringe. Just one small rock hitting those at highway speed and time for a flatbed.
    To me this is one of the biggest design faults of the vehicle.
    Last edited by Frenzy36; 03-30-2020, 12:28 PM.
    Rocket City Florida- 2001 ZO6 - 2013 427 Vert - 2020 Stingray

Comment

Originally posted by Frenzy36 View Post
      Every time I see those cooling coils exposed it makes me cringe. Just one small rock hitting those at highway speed and time for a flatbed.
      I tracked down the video this was shown at

Comment

The 'thread starter' showed a picture and it was the 'body colored' trim piece rather than the standard 'black'. I wonder if it's just an issue with the body colored optional trim? My HTC will have body colored trim so I'll be on the lookout. Thanks.....
        2020 HTC Torch Red with lots of goodies. Built in September. Museum Delivered in October......

Other toys in the garage: Ferrari California, BMW i8 Roadster, Bentley Flying Spur, Chevy SSr

Comment

Not good......
          Proud owner (along with my wife) of the FIRST retail delivered C8 HTC!

Comment

Originally posted by Teamzr1 View Post
            Reported on at least 2 C8s and each side has 3 mounts points and the screws were not installed in either so the pieces are just partly mounted and loose.
            Amusingly enough, if mine is delivered that way it could be a plus!

I was thinking of removing my standard carbon black ones and having them painted body color. This would save me the trouble of finding and removing the screws. Anyway, thanks for the notification, much appreciated.

Comment

Seems someone is forgetting to use the mounting screws for this front corners aero piece
              Not sure who is responsible to mount these, BGP or a dealer ?

Reported on at least 2 C8s and each side has 3 mounts points and the screws were not installed in either so the pieces are just partly mounted and loose

Look on underside and see if each has 3 mounting screws and without the screws the pieces are bouncing around marring the paint

Click image for larger version Name:	missing-screws.jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.6 KB ID:	133119

Click image for larger version Name:	missi.jpg Views:	0 Size:	104.6 KB ID:	133118
              Mine are tight and properly installed.
              2020 Blade Silver 2LT Z51 front lift ,mag ride ,black trident wheels and carbon fiber dash

Comment

According to GM, it's not really an issue. At one of the GM presentations at Carlisle, an audience member asked about it. The answer was that GM has a test where they fire projectiles at the radiators at a speed much higher than you'd ever encounter on the road, the C8 passed without issue. The problem just going to be cosmetic.

Oh, and the heat exchangers you see are for the A/C. The actual radiators are mounted behind those, so worst case you'd lose air conditioning, not coolant.
                Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

It is a little more important than just being a cosmetic issue.
                  Even grasshoppers fold the fins over.
                  Most road debris will not puncture the cores or tubes but will fold the fins.
                  This causes a great reduction in flow, decreasing the heat transfer in the AC condenser core and will have an even worse effect for the coolant radiator directly behind the AC core.
                  In my experience, I have always noticed coolant overheating before reduced AC cooling because of the blocked airflow through the condenser.

One of my very first, and most important mods will be to get a screen in front of all these heat exchangers.
                  They are very time consuming to clean and repair bent fins.

Frenzy36, you hit the nail on the head.
                  TPW March 2. 3LT, Z51, FE4, Black GBA, ZZ3, Black interior with Red seats/red stitch HU0 & 2 tone TU7, E60, J6N, RIK, Q8Q, etc.
                  Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada

Comment

Because we have one thread with 2 conversations.
                    1..... I checked our car with Carbon Flash moldings and all the screws are in place.

2......Months ago there was a C8 Corvette that had major impact damage near Yosemite National Park a lot of pictures were posted. If I remember correctly both front radiators looked damaged but no coolant leaks were visible I think they are tough and as stated above almost bullet proof
                    Our C8 Arctic White, two tone interior black w/ red seats, 3LT...options--EYK, PIN, E60, ZZ3,VK3, ZYC, DTH, Q8Q, ERI, YF5, FE4, Z51, BV4

Comment

Originally posted by corvette1953 View Post
                      Because we have one thread with 2 conversations.
                      1..... I checked our car with Carbon Flash moldings and all the screws are in place.

2......Months ago there was a C8 Corvette that had major impact damage near Yosemite National Park a lot of pictures were posted. If I remember correctly both front radiators looked damaged but no coolant leaks were visible I think they are tough and as stated above almost bullet proof
                      Hardly bulletproof - extremely thin aluminum, You may wish to leave yours exposed, but I wouldn't want to be in the middle of the mountains in Colorado and have one punctured or anywhere else for that matter. It wouldn't be covered by your warranty. I'll gladly pay Richrat for a inexpensive piece of insurance that will last the life of the vehicle.

Richrat a member of our forum will be making these covers to protect the fins and most importantly those thin cores. I will put in a aluminum screen till he has those produced for our C8's.
                      Here is the link - https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...patent-pending
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	Hex Front 2.png Views:	33 Size:	141.8 KB ID:	117949
                      Last edited by Frenzy36; 03-30-2020, 04:22 PM.
                      Rocket City Florida- 2001 ZO6 - 2013 427 Vert - 2020 Stingray

Comment

Someone needs to go into more detail if they feel the testing GM did and stated the cores are safe is not valid ?

As mentioned in the C8s seen damaged that even a head on crash so hard damage was from fascia to A pillar and even
                        left corner ripped off there was no leaks to either the A/C condenser bent up or the radiator behind it

Click image for larger version

Name:	c8crash.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	768.9 KB
ID:	133243

One question is how is some thin small piece in front going to stop anything that is coming at speed and the forward motion of the car
                        and that added piece is not going to reduce airflow to the coolers ?
                        It is not like the core is totally open as there is some plastic shapes in front that would limit the chance something getting to the core

Name:	screen.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	133244

Comment

Hardly bulletproof - extremely thin aluminum, You may wish to leave yours exposed, but I wouldn't want to be in the middle of the mountains in Colorado and have one punctured or anywhere else for that matter. It wouldn't be covered by your warranty. I'll gladly pay Richrat for a inexpensive piece of insurance that will last the life of the vehicle.

Richrat a member of our forum will be making these covers to protect the fins and most importantly those thin cores. I will put in a aluminum screen till he has those produced for our C8's.
                          Here is the link - https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...patent-pending
                          Click image for larger version Name:	Hex Front 2.png Views:	33 Size:	141.8 KB ID:	117949
                          I think he showed two different patterns for the grid work when he first talked about it on the other thread. I think it would be a worthwhile addition if they weren't extremely costly, and didn't block too much air flow. I wonder how easy it would be to remove these pieces to gain access to the existing grill work? I may use your idea for a temporary fix until the grills are tested and available.

Comment

Someone needs to go into more detail if they feel the testing GM did and stated the cores are safe is not valid ?

As mentioned in the C8s seen damaged that even a head on crash so hard damage was from fascia to A pillar and even
                            left corner ripped off there was no leaks to either the A/C condenser bent up or the radiator behind it

Click image for larger version  Name:	c8crash.jpg Views:	10 Size:	768.9 KB ID:	133243

One question is how is some thin small piece in front going to stop anything that is coming at speed and the forward motion of the car
                            and that added piece is not going to reduce airflow to the coolers ?
                            It is not like the core is totally open as there is some plastic shapes in front that would limit the chance something getting to the core

Click image for larger version  Name:	screen.jpg Views:	9 Size:	83.1 KB ID:	133244
                            I share your concerns about reducing air flow through those vents. But the spaces do look large enough to me that something traveling fast enough to crack a windshield could harm the coolers. Frenzy36's comment about bending the fins is well taken, while low to the ground, I would expect even fine particles along the road could eventually "wear" down or clog the fins. Can't block them completely, but maybe some additional guards would help. Might be one of those things we owners will have to flush with a hard stream of water now and then to keep them flowing well, especially with the radiators right behind. ( I have to get a car first to be worried about it ) I've kinda lost hope about that being this year.
                            Last edited by Jetdriver; 03-30-2020, 06:19 PM.

Comment

One thought is a Corvette AERO design to better fuel mileage cause the oncoming air to flow upwards and above the hood and also move the air to the sides

Common to see rock chipping on the hood but not the nose of fascia so I am not sure what objects would be hitting the inlets for coolers ?

Many Vehicles today have large amount of free airspace for cooling and do not have a issue harming radiators, etc
                              So my main concern is limiting that airflow over space possibly of an object hitting cooling parts

Here we see lot of the cooling parts and little complaints of objects hitting them

Name:	2020-Chevrolet-Silverado.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	133278

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X