MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Welcome Magnaflow As A Featured Forum Vendor. Your products excite!

We are extremely pleased to announce Magnaflow as a Featured Forum Vendor. Many of us have had and truly enjoyed their exhaust systems. Here is their site: https://www.magnaflow.com/. More to come shortly.
2 of 2 < >

Official C8 Owners Manual, Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

See more
See less

C8 First Day Road Trip Review (400 miles)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C8 First Day Road Trip Review (400 miles)

Hey gang,

So I finally got a hold of my C8 for real today. Picked it up Monday at the NCM, put about 10 miles on it, and took it to Auto Armor for front end PPF. They finished last night and did QC this morning. FYI, Rudy was awesome to work with over there. He was super accommodating considering what's going on now and with the fact I changed my order from full to front end+. He also installed Wildhammer Motorsports silver engine cover for me, which was totally worth it. The black cover just disappears in the back window but the silver stands out big time. Only issue there was I was surprised it was plastic. $450 is a lot IMHO for a plastic engine cover. I thought it would be metal. And with Auto Armor, my only issue is that because I didn't do the full package they didn't have paint correction done. It was a manpower issue.

Anyway... I finally got into my car for an extended drive. I'm driving it home to Utah and I'm doing it in about 6 hour driving segments. In my C7, I know this would have been uncomfortable (for me), but in my C8 - wow. This thing is SO FREAKING COMFORTABLE compared to my C7. I would never consider my C7 a "road trip car," but I have no problem calling the C8 just that. I have My Mode set to Tour suspension and brakes, Sport steering, and Track exhaust. If there is one complaint, it would be that I can't hear the exhaust much on the freeway even in Track mode. That's how quiet this car is. But a few times I put it in my Z-mode, which is Sport everything except for Track exhaust, and TBH the ride got a tiny bit more stiff as far as feeling road imperfections, but almost imperceptible.

This car has an incredible ride. I didn't start to feel a little sore in my hamstrings until late in the 5th hour of driving (I just did restroom stops). It's comfortable over road imperfections, but somehow still feels super tight.

Here are some pro/con bullet points:

Pros:
    • Super smooth ride, while still feeling like it has precision handling. [UPDATE: I should point out I have Z51 and MRC.]
    • Bose audio system is great.
    • Room for two smaller and a fairly large carry-on.
    • The cockpit feels so great, everything feels like it's where it should be. Even the center divider controls were easy to use.
    • The camera mirror, while jarring at first when looking from the road to the mirror, within a couple of hours, zero problem transitioning. Love it. You can set it wide enough to where the limited rear/side visibility is not an issue at all.
    • The DCT transmission - holy cow. The shifts are almost imperceptible. Even when in manual mode. Crazy.
    • The steering wheel adjustability feels like it far exceeds that of the C7.
    • There is so much room in driving position. I'm 5'9" (average) and I can move the seats back to where it's almost difficult to reach the pedals. It reclines beyond where I need it to (in my C7 it felt like it would be nice if it went further).
    • Neck-breaker. I counted no less than 4 people on the freeway shooting video of my car (that I noticed). And pulling into a couple of gas stations I had multiple people compliment the car. I pulled into a store and employees were talking about the car, saying "I think it's a Ferrari."
    • Cup holders 1,000% better than C7.
    • Front visibility is great, but I can still see the trademark fender bulges. Will test the front view when I get home to see if it disproves (for me) what Motor Trend said about less visibility than C7.
    • GT2 seats are super comfortable and supportive. I haven't even messed with lumbar support yet.
    [NEW] Con (not so minor):
    • I discovered yesterday while driving during the day on an overcast day that in the rear view camera mirror some cars' headlights behind me looked like they were flashing rapidly. At first I thought I was getting pulled over by an unmarked police car, but when I flipped to the regular mirror I saw the lights were NOT flashing. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the camera mirror may do this for cars with LED headlights. I imagine at night this might be pretty distracting when using the camera mirror.

Cons (minor):
    • [NEW] In my car, after a while the Apple Car Play via USB starts to drop music intermittently. Kind of like a bad phone call connection. Pulling out the connector from the phone and plugging back in fixes it. Happened twice.
    • [UPDATE: This was user error on my part. It works like in other cars.] Apple Car Play is not as good as in other cars I've been in (at least as far as I can tell). I can't bring up Google Maps on it, it uses the default Apple Maps and I couldn't figure out how to use Google. I haven't tried Waze but I assume it won't work either. Can't pull up a list of iPhone apps.
    • This one could be me and maybe I haven't figured it out, but I didn't see any option to auto-fold mirrors when I park the car. Seems like it has to be done manually.
    • Front view camera (which I love) doesn't go away when you put the car in drive. You have to hit the Home button to make it go off the screen.
    • I wish more engine sound came into the cabin.
    • [UPDATE: I figured out to knee-steer you have to put your knee more in the middle of the bottom, not off to the side like in a round wheel.] I like the "squircle" because the top makes it easy to see the entire display, but it is super, super hard to steer it briefly with your knee. Yeah, I know, but for example when it switches from overcast to bright sun I swap out my regular glasses for my sunglasses. It was insanely difficult to keep the car straight with my knee on the bottom of the wheel for the few moments it took me to switch.
    • I'm being diligent about break in, and for me it's a pain with varying the speed constantly since out the gate I'm doing freeway miles. One thing I did was put it in manual and shift the heck out of it every couple minutes to vary the RPMs between 1,500 and close to 4,000. On the other hand, it's gotten me used to paddle shifters.
    • Um, I think that's it (so far).
    The number one question I got from people who were wowed by the car: "How much did it cost?"

So overall, I'm over the moon with this car. Super, super happy, especially as an early owner with not many having been seen on the road and people just totally blown away by it. Gets a LOT of attention. Can't wait to get on with my trip in the morning. I'm going to use this for long trips, whereas I would never consider my C7.
    Last edited by VicH; Today, 11:02 AM.

Thank you.
    You have certainly increased my excitement in getting mine. I may even experience an orgasm.

Comment

Originally posted by 5632 View Post
      Thank you.
      You have certainly increased my excitement in getting mine. I may even experience an orgasm.
      TMI.

Comment

Thank you Vic! We are so glad that it is exceeding your overall wishes, though understand like every car there are few things you wish were a little different. I know how easy it is to first experience a C8; I too was amazed at how quickly one gets at ease with such a radically different car than the C7’s and earlier we are used to.

Enjoy your dream as you drive further toward home. Happy tomorrow to you.

Thanks for keeping us informed as you progress westward.
        GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover, 5JR vis CF mirror caps, and VJR illuminated sill plates.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Here's a funny anecdote from my first day on the road. (42 second video)

Comment

Nice write-up...Im amazed by the car as well...and am loving it.

The mirror fold up switch is on the door panel were the mirror position buttons are ..I believe its the lower middle button in the grouping.. I found it when pulling into my garage...its pretty handy .....

Comment

Originally posted by C808 View Post
              Nice write-up...Im amazed by the car as well...and am loving it.

The mirror fold up switch is on the door panel were the mirror position buttons are ..I believe its the lower middle button in the grouping.. I found it when pulling into my garage...its pretty handy .....
              Thanks. And yeah, I know. But I expected a setting that would auto fold them when I park the car.

Comment

Vic-There IS a way to set the mirrors to fold when you turn off the car. I saw a Museum helper teach it to a buyer; just don't know how he set it. Someone will let you know.
                Ceramic Gray Metallic Z51 w/TT interior Spec Grey Wheels

Comment

Originally posted by MrBluster View Post
                  Vic-There IS a way to set the mirrors to fold when you turn off the car. I saw a Museum helper teach it to a buyer; just don't know how he set it. Someone will let you know.
                  Thanks. I thought so as well but couldn’t find it in the settings.

Comment

Thanks for all the information, its making more people very excited for when the DO get there C8 ! 👍
                    A thought if I might ...

Comment

Excellent review. Thanks for taking the time. Enjoy the ride home, stay safe.

Comment

Thanks for sharing all of that! We are looking forward to a similar NCM pickup and road trip and your comments are really valuable. Congrats on the car! We are sadly stuck on a 3/16 TPW at 3400 😥

Comment

Great review. Thank You

Comment

Really liked the review.

Comment

To enable automatic mirror folding
                              when using the Lock and Unlock buttons,
                              go to Settings > Vehicle > Comfort and
                              Convenience > Remote Mirror Folding.
                              Murray - Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
                              Torch red coupe, Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP

Comment