MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Welcome Magnaflow As A Featured Forum Vendor. Your products excite!

We are extremely pleased to announce Magnaflow as a Featured Forum Vendor. Many of us have had and truly enjoyed their exhaust systems. Here is their site: https://www.magnaflow.com/. More to come shortly.
2 of 2 < >

Official C8 Owners Manual, Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

See more
See less

Can A 2020 C8 become a 2021 C8?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can A 2020 C8 become a 2021 C8?

    If production is delayed long enough, can a C8 that was considered a 2020 model, be legally changed to a 2021 when it's finally produced if GM deems is so?
    Cape Cod Taxachusetts

    3LT GDO/AYM Coupe. Z51, Mag Shocks, Yellow Calipers. Black Interior, Black Suede Seats, Yellow Stitching. Yellow Seat Belts.
    Illuminated Sills. Front and Rear Splash Guards. Chrome Wheel Locks, NCM Photo Album Program
    3000 TPW ????????????

  • #2
    Yes they can as long as its initial VIN was not already assigned. [But even then, could they change a “paper VIN” before it were officially stamped on the car or car part in any one of its many places?]

    GM moved the entire 2019 VIN up just because of the ZR1 (stopping the 2018 model year prematurely for the Stingrays, GS and Z06’s and making then 2019’s to match the ZR1’s for they realized the complexities of Federal requirements, part tracking, etc., and did not want two different model years on the line at the same time.

    For GM to change the 2020’s to 2021’s at any point during this calendar year could most certainly be done (again considering the previous factors).

    However, every car that has been sold or even completed as 2020 could not ever change.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover, 5JR vis CF mirror caps, and VJR illuminated sill plates.

    Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

    Comment


    • #3
      I bought a new Mercedes RV a few years ago . It was sold to me as a 2017, it was May 2016 , and that was what the MSO said . The title clerk issued a Title as a 2016. I had the State reissue a title and got a 2017 Title. John hit the nail on the head, The 2019 Corvette was a perfect example. It would be nice if GM started production back up that all cars from this point forward were 2021s. I still feel that the whole production run of this car should have been 2021s. As they did not start manufacturing these cars till this past January.The 2019s started in January of 2018.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by John View Post
        Yes they can as long as its initial VIN was not already assigned. [But even then, could they change a “paper VIN” before it were officially stamped on the car or car part in any one of its many places?]

        GM moved the entire 2019 VIN up just because of the ZR1 (stopping the 2018 model year prematurely for the Stingrays, GS and Z06’s and making then 2019’s to match the ZR1’s for they realized the complexities of Federal requirements, part tracking, etc., and did not want two different model years on the line at the same time.

        For GM to change the 2020’s to 2021’s at any point during this calendar year could most certainly be done (again considering the previous factors).

        However, every car that has been sold or even completed as 2020 could not ever change.
        Then it is my opinion that any car that will be completed after July (and it now appears that will include mine), but was sitting at least 3000 without an assigned VIN before the last delay, should be completed as a 2021, with any projected 2021 upgrades, and without a price change.

        Seems only fair and proper.
        Cape Cod Taxachusetts

        3LT GDO/AYM Coupe. Z51, Mag Shocks, Yellow Calipers. Black Interior, Black Suede Seats, Yellow Stitching. Yellow Seat Belts.
        Illuminated Sills. Front and Rear Splash Guards. Chrome Wheel Locks, NCM Photo Album Program
        3000 TPW ????????????

        Comment


        • #5
          The only legal restriction is that the car has to be built on or after Jan 1st to be called a 2021. I suspect that GM won't want to redo all the paperwork on cars that already have a VIN assigned, but all any of us can do is guess. I think it's pretty definite that if any of the VIN stamped parts of the car have already been stamped (frame, engine, certain body parts, the dash plaque) that GM isn't going to go back and change it.
          SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

          Purchased 5/2/2015,
          >36,000 miles

          Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

          Never grow up - It's a trap.

          Comment


          • #6
            Reminds me of FantomWorks program where they got an early Corvette Block (heads maybe) that had a date stamp of February 30th. I guess GM can do whatever they want within reason.
            Murray - Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
            Torch red coupe, Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ZORA 69 View Post
              I bought a new Mercedes RV a few years ago . It was sold to me as a 2017, it was May 2016 , and that was what the MSO said . The title clerk issued a Title as a 2016. I had the State reissue a title and got a 2017 Title. John hit the nail on the head, The 2019 Corvette was a perfect example. It would be nice if GM started production back up that all cars from this point forward were 2021s. I still feel that the whole production run of this car should have been 2021s. As they did not start manufacturing these cars till this past January.The 2019s started in January of 2018.
              The VIN includes a letter code for the model year. In the case of our C8's the "L" indicates a 2020 MY car.

              BUT as another poster said, if GM or in your case Mercedes, wanted to call a car manufactured after Jan 1st 2020 a 2021 MY, they could do so.

              So it's perfectly possible that a May 2016 car could be designated as a "2017 car". The deciding factor in the case of your Merc would be the letter designation within the VIN.
              2020 C8 Corvette ....DOB 02/03/2020.... VIN L5100026
              Shadow Grey Metallic on Black
              2LT, Z51 + MRC
              Spectra Grey Tridents
              Carbon flash mirrors and spoiler

              Residing in sunny Niagara, Ontario.

              I'm a Rat and so is my car! (a reference to the Chinese astrological calendar).

              Comment


              • #8
                I dont really care which model year I get.

                As an an example I was supposed to have my c8 built 4/27 to 5/29/2020. I reserved with a large dealer in may of 2019. Went status 3000 in mid february.

                first the uaw strike for 2 months...now we are hopeful for another short delay of only a month..i believe march 20th stoppage will hopefully begin April 14th..

                GM cut the 2020 model year back by a month I believe...

                so wherever many of us land either a 2020 or 2021 model year c8...its all good.

                i wouldnt be upset either way.

                Ive never bought an end of the year vehicle in forty years..li tend to buy in the beginning of a model year over the years.

                this will be a first if I get a 2020 c8 in august..

                i dont mind ..but I will chuckle if I get a 2020 one month before the 2021 s hit the showrooms.l..
                Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 1LT

                Comment


                • #9
                  Can we get our substantial deposit back of 50,000.00
                  back in our 2020 does not get built.
                  the order is at 2000 accepted.

                  i made it clear to our dealer from the beginning that
                  2020 is what we wanted..
                  so please explain when the date change has to take place.. I would think the dealer would have to notify me and give me the choice

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Harvey Kornicks View Post
                    Can we get our substantial deposit back of 50,000.00
                    back in our 2020 does not get built.
                    the order is at 2000 accepted.

                    i made it clear to our dealer from the beginning that
                    2020 is what we wanted..
                    so please explain when the date change has to take place.. I would think the dealer would have to notify me and give me the choice
                    You gave a $5000 deposit or $50,000 and although dealer dependent i would imagine if you contact the dealer they can state their policy.

                    in many states deposits are mandated to be returned should a buyer decide not to purchase amd

                    if a vehicle can not be delivered I would imagine the deposit has to be refunded.

                    Best of luck...and I understand the wait can become annoying..
                    Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 1LT

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Harvey Kornicks View Post
                      Can we get our substantial deposit back of 50,000.00
                      back in our 2020 does not get built.
                      the order is at 2000 accepted.

                      i made it clear to our dealer from the beginning that
                      2020 is what we wanted..
                      so please explain when the date change has to take place.. I would think the dealer would have to notify me and give me the choice
                      $50,000 deposit??? Did the dealer ask for that amount or did you volunteer that?
                      Future: 2020 C8 Z51 3LT Torch Red - 3000 status
                      Current: 2014 C7 Z51 3LT Torch Red
                      Prior: 1992 C4, 1995 C4 2002 C5, 2005 C6, 2010 C6

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by BIG Dave View Post

                        $50,000 deposit??? Did the dealer ask for that amount or did you volunteer that?
                        That's the big question.

                        If it's really $50,000 I'd suggest OP looks up the threads relating to "what happens if my dealer goes bankrupt?"

                        It already happened here and that was well before the current crisis.

                        This sleazebag was asking for big deposits

                        A number of customers have been left high-and-dry by RBC’s action against the dealership, however. CTV spoke to one customer who had a pre-order placed for a 2020 Corvette Stingray through the dealership but is now unsure if the order will be fulfilled.

                        “I had put down $25,000 on my dream car, a new 2020 Corvette,” the customer, Terry Mangal, told CTV. “Now I have no idea what is happening with my money or my car.”

                        Another Dean Myers customer purchased a $77,000 GMC Yukon outright, only to show up at the dealer the next day to see it had been shut down.
                        https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/03...es-in-toronto/
                        2020 C8 Corvette ....DOB 02/03/2020.... VIN L5100026
                        Shadow Grey Metallic on Black
                        2LT, Z51 + MRC
                        Spectra Grey Tridents
                        Carbon flash mirrors and spoiler

                        Residing in sunny Niagara, Ontario.

                        I'm a Rat and so is my car! (a reference to the Chinese astrological calendar).

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          No, it was my choice to do it. The dealer has up to this point was very responsive. Started putting money down since Sept.. must admit it was a good move up until I read these list. In Sept. I was 33 out of 35...
                          as if two weeks ago I am at stage 2000.
                          i have been upfront that I want the 2020 now natter if I had to Waite up May if necessary..
                          we have been more then congenial with each other.
                          Bottom line... which is the Latest date or month that a 2020 can be built.. please Fact or rules only.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Most state laws require a deposit to be returned on a product or service — except those that been started to be provided (such as a customer saying to a custom cabinet maker who is halfway through their custom kitchen, that, “we have changed our mind and want our deposit back”). I would check your state laws on mandatory deposit returns or not.
                            GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover, 5JR vis CF mirror caps, and VJR illuminated sill plates.

                            Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              What is the cut off date for a model to be built or change over over of date. I trust my dealer 100% what I do not know is the cut off date for the 2020 build date.

                              Comment

                              MECF_728x90_bottom

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X