MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Official C8 Owners Manual, Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

See more
See less

500 Mile oil change ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 500 Mile oil change ??

Where did this idea come from? My ownners manual says nothing about this. In fact it says 7,500 miles "if needed". The conditions being it should be changed every year or if the "change oil" message appears.
    2020 C8 Corvette ....DOB 02/03/2020.... VIN L5100026
    Shadow Grey Metallic on Black
    2LT, Z51 + MRC
    Spectra Grey Tridents
    Carbon flash mirrors and spoiler

Residing in sunny Niagara, Ontario.

I'm a Rat and so is my car! (a reference to the Chinese astrological calendar).

It came from GM stating, and paying for every C7 LT1 dry sump to have the 500 mile oil change.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover, 5JR vis CF mirror caps, and VJR illuminated sill plates.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
      It came from GM stating, and paying for every C7 Z06 to the 500 mile oil change.
      Every C7 dry sump motor, including the Z51 and GS.
      SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
      >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally, the C7 Z51 had no 500 mile oil change. Then, GM discovered that a sealant used in its dry sump system was getting into the oil and contaminating it. So GM added a 500 mile oil change for the Z51 only. At least in the first year or two of the C7 series.

I assume that GM is no longer using that sealant, so the factory fill oil is no longer being contaminated, and the recommended 500 mile oil change disappeared.

But as they say, if you want to do it on your own dime, "It can't hurt"

Comment

My 2019 ZR1 manual still required the oil/filter change at 500 mi.
          New C8: GDO yellow, DTH CF Racing stripes, Q8Q CF wheels, Z51, J6E yellow calipers, E60 Front end lift, ZZ3 engine appearance pkg, FE4 mag ride, EYK chrome badges, FA5 C Fiber interior trim, AH2 GT2 seats, 3M9 yellow seat belts, HZN Natural Dipped Interior.

Comment

What Milliwatt Bob said,

Comment

Originally posted by Unclestu View Post
              My 2019 ZR1 manual still required the oil/filter change at 500 mi.
              Last I checked, the C7 ZR1 and the C8 have vastly different engines. Not really comparable.
              Future: 2020 C8 Z51 3LT Torch Red - 3000 status
              Current: 2014 C7 Z51 3LT Torch Red
              Prior: 1992 C4, 1995 C4 2002 C5, 2005 C6, 2010 C6

Comment

Ill follow the owners manual and my gm techs advice of 7500 miles.

GM had an issue with the lt1 and resolved the issue on the lt2.

Im sure that 500 mile oil change paid for by GM not in the original care plan must have stung to the point where gm rectified whatever caused that issue in the lt2.

JMO.
                Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 1LT

Comment

I didn't realize that this was a fix experienced by C7 owners. I see no reason to change my oil at 500 miles.
                  Torch red 1LT, no options

Comment

Anyone recall when someone reporting their Corvette engine degraded because of dirty engine oil ?
                    Lost a race due to dirty engine oil ?

This is not 1960s when hell just opening the hood up you'd end up with oily, dirty hands, SMOG requirements changed how
                    engines are designed and how tight tolerances are
                    GM runs these engines after building them and that flushes them out also

Far cheaper to spend $30 ( over costs of early oil changes and hassle doing it)
                    to have your oil tested and those results will tell you how much oil life there still is and the findings will show IF and what was found in the makeup

Today's motor oil filters are also designed much better, point would be is use good quality ones
                    WIX even has ones that are designed for Synthetic motor oils

Go get your free oil testkit from Blackstone testlab, get a small amount of used engine oil into the kit and within a week get a full
                    testlab report
                    They email you a PDF of results and they also save all your results so later you can do history compares of past test results

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/?ses...at445%29%29%2F
                    Corvettes owned, wrenched on and raced since 1975:
                    1974,75,77,84,87,89,91,93,94 ZR-1 & 1999 Mallett 435

Comment

I JUST CALLED MY DEALER HE TOLD ME WE MUST BRING IT IN FOR 500 mile oil change and DCT filter change....I remember we all spoke about this in the past ...CAN SOME ONE TELL ME WHAT IS CORRECT...THANK YOU

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Happy View Post
                        I JUST CALLED MY DEALER HE TOLD ME WE MUST BRING IT IN FOR 500 mile oil change and DCT filter change....I remember we all spoke about this in the past ...CAN SOME ONE TELL ME WHAT IS CORRECT...THANK YOU
                        The manual is as clear on DCT service as it is on engine oil. P290

(5) Check the transmission fluid life percentage. If the percentage is less than 10%, replace the fluid and filter. The initial transmission canister filter change must be performed at 12 000 km (7,500 mi), and every 36 000 km (22,500 mi) thereafter. This service can be complex. See your dealer.
                        Last edited by Bikerjulio; 03-26-2020, 01:37 PM.
                        2020 C8 Corvette ....DOB 02/03/2020.... VIN L5100026
                        Shadow Grey Metallic on Black
                        2LT, Z51 + MRC
                        Spectra Grey Tridents
                        Carbon flash mirrors and spoiler

Residing in sunny Niagara, Ontario.

I'm a Rat and so is my car! (a reference to the Chinese astrological calendar).

Comment

Your dealer is demonstrating his ignorance (assuming you have a C8 and not a C7 - and if it's a C7 he's showing he doesn't know anything about that car either). Your owners manual will tell you EXACTLY what GM's requirements are.
                          SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                          >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

Bikerjulio pg 290 talks about DCT oil and filter I am talking about on my c8,do we have to change engine oil at 500 miles.....Thx

Comment

Bikerjulio pg 290 talks about DCT oil and filter I am talking about on my c8,do we have to change engine oil at 500 miles.....Thx
                              No. Look at the maintenance section of your manual.

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                              >36,000 miles

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X