MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Welcome Magnaflow As A Featured Forum Vendor. Your products excite!

We are extremely pleased to announce Magnaflow as a Featured Forum Vendor. Many of us have had and truly enjoyed their exhaust systems. Here is their site: https://www.magnaflow.com/. More to come shortly.
2 of 2 < >

Official C8 Owners Manual, Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

See more
See less

Anybody Else Smell That?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why wait for 500 miles to get those shavings out? Oil changes every 250 miles for the first 1k just to be safe?

Comment

Originally posted by C808 View Post

The dry sump has nothing to do with it. It has to do with the thousands of moving metal to metal parts rubbing together and wearing /breaking in ,,as well as any other debris or potential contaminants from manufacturing......now this stuff is being carried along by the oil through out the engine and through the filter... never the less..I want that **** out of there, and fresh, fresh ,fresh, oil and filter …. and then again at 3,000 miles.... The cost of this is nothing to me ..compared to leaving nasty filthy polluted oil inside this modern powerplant. ...… only the best for my cars...
      Good for you .Change your oil whenever you want May want to do your research why GM suggested dry sump oil changes at 500 miles in the C7. Had nothing to do with your concern is of metal parts. This is not 1970 and we no longer put Quaker State in our cars. . Was sealants used that are no longer used. Don't forget to put a STP sticker on your back window. That usually helps too.

Comment

Originally posted by C808 View Post

The cost of this is nothing to me ..compared to leaving nasty filthy polluted oil inside this modern powerplant. ...… .
        LOL. A suggestion, since the money doesn't matter: Send a sample of the 500 and 3,000 mile oil out for analysis and see what the particulates are, and report back. To really have a good baseline, send a sample of brand new, unused oil, too. I bet lots of us would be interested in the results.
        SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
        >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

These are not your grandfather's oils. Or metallurgy. Today's synthetic oils in normal applications could go well beyond 7,500 miles. BMW's with oil condition monitors often go 15,000 miles between changes, and oil analysis shows the oil not depleted at that point. GM is being extremely conservative with it's 7,500 mile intervals, and the OLM will decrease that depending on your driving conditions, if necessary.
          With the old cars 2k was plenty long but even so 7500 is too long for my cars been there a lot. You run 7500 miles you might not get the long time performance. Have 3 work trucks two with over 200k. BMW does questionable stuff.
          one with over 100k.

IMO After running those 7-8k oil changes with mobil one the truck many lose a little power over 200k. I wouldn't do that to my Corvette the oil looks thin and nasty like they said. 5k is my standard for the Corvette and I'm sticking to it. 15k stuff on the bottle? Forget it. NICE thing about it is our money buying the oil I no longer let others change my oil.

Comment

Regarding oil changes, this is turning into a “follow the manual” vs “I’ll do it the way I want to do it” thread. I’m in the “follow the manual” camp and I’ve never had an engine failure in my life. But people need to do what makes them feel comfortable. I’ll leave it there.
            Last edited by BIG Dave; 03-26-2020, 05:37 PM.
            Future: 2020 C8 Z51 3LT Torch Red - 3000 status
            Current: 2014 C7 Z51 3LT Torch Red
            Prior: 1992 C4, 1995 C4 2002 C5, 2005 C6, 2010 C6

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

LOL. A suggestion, since the money doesn't matter: Send a sample of the 500 and 3,000 mile oil out for analysis and see what the particulates are, and report back. To really have a good baseline, send a sample of brand new, unused oil, too. I bet lots of us would be interested in the results.
              Already mentioned in a previous thread that I will be doing exactly this and Blackstone confirmed that they have this oil already as a virgin sample.
              There are definitely two camps on this issue.
              Both sides have good reasons for how they choose to change the oil.
              We are all aware of the facts so nobody should be bullying anybody to change the oil later than they feel comfortable with.
              Some on this forum just do not get this and should show the respect that is due by not criticizing people for making their own informed decisions.
              Nobody should be made to feel bad about changing the oil when they feel they should change it.
              I will report back my findings on my oil samples so hopefully it will clear some of this up.
              Also, remember a lot of the fine metal particles in the oil pass right through the filter and get circulated throughout your engine for that first 7,500 miles or until you do your first oil change.
              You mentioned that money doesn’t matter to some of us but it would be more accurate to say money is not our god and we use it as a tool to live our lives the way we see fit.
              TPW March 2. 3LT, Z51, FE4, Black GBA, ZZ3, Black interior with Red seats/red stitch HU0 & 2 tone TU7, E60, J6N, RIK, Q8Q, etc.
              Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada

Comment

I dont think its the oil....could be transmission fluid.

when you get back from your trip Id consider contacting your local dealer that you kniw has a qualified GM world class tech and have him look into engine oil leak, coolant and my guess a transmission leak.

there seems to be a small subgroup that may have a transmission leak...(possibly)

ive heard entire assembly being shipped back to corvette engineering and fully replacing the transmission if that ends up being the case.

please note none of us have looked at your corvette, nor smelled the leak....we know nothing in particular about your car...

really would suggest a gm world class gm tech you trust to take a look at your early production model.

when you do this please let us know what your tech finds.
                Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 1LT

Comment

Mine has those new car smells, I only have 44 miles on her as we have only had 1 1/2 non rainy days sine I got her last week and I have been working on getting my parts made. Like John I also always change the oil on my brand new cars between 750-1000 miles, I personally think it will lengthen the longevity of the motor getting out any potential metal scrapings.

PPF next week!
                  Vette's owned: 99 Sebring Silver Convert - 10yrs, 2008 Crystal Red Convert,w/cam, longtubes and Vortech supercharger. C8 ordered from Kerbeck, VIN 00336 built on 2/10/20 - DELIVERED. C8 Spec: Torch Red 2LT, Z51, FE4, E60, CF7, FA5, AH2, HUL, J6E, TU7, 3F9, Q8P, 5ZU, R8C

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X