MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Official C8 Owners Manual, Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

See more
See less

Anybody Else Smell That?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody Else Smell That?

I have been babying my C8 from the time I picked it up but today I started to smell something under the bonnet kind of like Antifreeze or Clutch burning. I was wondering if anyone else had noticed something like this. I will not be driving it for a week because we are going out of town so when I'm back I can see if there is any leakage on the floor.

Mine was letting off some “new car” odors, mostly paint like smells. It has however subsided.
    Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....

Comment

Originally posted by Meldoon View Post
      Mine was letting off some “new car” odors, mostly paint like smells. It has however subsided.
      How many miles on yours before it subsided? Mine has 526 miles, most (468) were from driving back from Museum.

Comment

Considering there is reports of DCTs leaking to be safe is closely look for any fluid leaks from above and below to exclude this as your issue
        Corvettes owned, wrenched on and raced since 1975:
        1974,75,77,84,87,89,91,93,94 ZR-1 & 1999 Mallett 435

Comment

Its probably just new car /engine and trans heating up and burning off any residuals .Mine has a smell as well..but its typical for me when I re-enter the earths atmosphere.. lol..... its probably going to take many heat cycles for it to taper off..

If its a small leak chances are you wont find anything on your floor..because of the belly pans. I wouldnt worry too much about it... have it looked at when you take it in for the 500 mile oil change... or if like me , Ill take a peek when I change the oil at 500...

Comment

All new cars have some noises and smells. 99% is just the wearing in process. While all need to be attentive, and Baja 405 we hope yours dissipates super soon without becoming and issue, let’s enjoy our new cars rather than worrying that things could happen. For that, there are warranties, and again 99% will never have an issue in this area.

BTW, there is no longer a 500 mile oil change; in fact other than those tracking their car, and GM is only recommending we check our motor oil level each time we get fuel at the beginning to insure there is not an issue, conversely from the CD7 era their recommending the first time we bring in our C8’s is at 7,500 miles.

Not saying I myself will not have an extra oil and oil filter change on my own nickel between 500 and 1,000 miles (as I have done for every new vehicle I have ever owned).
            GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover, 5JR vis CF mirror caps, and VJR illuminated sill plates.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

I as well change the oil in my new cars at 500 miles ..I always have and I always will ..and would never go 7,500 between changes ,,,,that's just nasty ..

I like the feeling of having clean fresh oil in my car when im winding it out to 6500 rmp … and my cars appreciate it too...

Comment

Ours had that somethings burning smell but its gone now 285 miles.

Comment

Mine stopped smelling around the 350 mile mark

Comment

Years ago, I test drove a brand new BMW at a dealer. It had a burning smell so bad, I thought the car was on fire. I was told it was some form of preservative coating burning off the exhaust system.

I agree with the prior post. Look under the car to see if it is leaking on the garage floor. If it persists, bring it in for inspection. It could be leaking onto the exhaust, and the leaking fluid burning or evaporating, not making a puddle on the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by Baja 405 View Post

How many miles on yours before it subsided? Mine has 526 miles, most (468) were from driving back from Museum.
                      Just under 500.
                      Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....

Comment

that's the smell of my portfolio burning up............GM should pick up everyone's cars delivered so far AND START OVER

Comment

Originally posted by C808 View Post
                          I as well change the oil in my new cars at 500 miles ..I always have and I always will ..and would never go 7,500 between changes ,,,,that's just nasty ..

I like the feeling of having clean fresh oil in my car when im winding it out to 6500 rmp … and my cars appreciate it too...
                          How much is an oil change in a corvette?

Comment

Originally posted by C808 View Post
                            Its probably just new car /engine and trans heating up and burning off any residuals .Mine has a smell as well..but its typical for me when I re-enter the earths atmosphere.. lol..... its probably going to take many heat cycles for it to taper off..

If its a small leak chances are you wont find anything on your floor..because of the belly pans. I wouldnt worry too much about it... have it looked at when you take it in for the 500 mile oil change... or if like me , Ill take a peek when I change the oil at 500...
                            I though the C8 with the dry sump did not need a oil change at 500 miles. That was the Z51 in the C7. DCT FLUID??? Antifreeze definitely has a distinctive smell.

Comment

Mine stopped smelling after the first 200k or so.
                              2020 C8 Corvette ....DOB 02/03/2020.... VIN L5100026
                              Shadow Grey Metallic on Black
                              2LT, Z51 + MRC
                              Spectra Grey Tridents
                              Carbon flash mirrors and spoiler

Residing in sunny Niagara, Ontario.

I'm a Rat and so is my car! (a reference to the Chinese astrological calendar).

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X