Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John
    replied
    For those who are saying, no way in hell GM would wait to reveal the ME until the April 19th New York Auto Show, here’s some key metrics to contemplate:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	221EF494-0428-446A-996B-F9BCD4002043.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	900.8 KB
ID:	13147

BTW, the press days when new vehicles are revealed start 179 days from now.

Leave a comment:

• Shadow
    replied
    So much conflicting info as to whether the C8.R’s are even going to run next year — at least as to whether they would be running before LeMans. Here are some of the disparate info somewhat related to your question.

Les Wong, NCM Board member, stated at last month’s 24th Anniversary Celebration at the Museum, that the C7.R will be running next year.

Doug Fehan noted that it would take a waiver from the ACO for the C8.R’s to run at LeMans — and seeking a waiver now, and then getting a second one for the 2020 calendar year would be challenging.

The Ford GT was given waivers for two successive years, for they did not even have a customer car until 1 1/2 years until after they ran in the IMSA series.

Some have appropriately questioned whether GM would want one additional year of testing before they bring out the C8.R, for we won the drivers’ IMSA Championship this month, and were not far out of the running for either the Team Championship nor the Manufacturer Championships. Might GM want to continue testing and developing the C8.R one more year before they run it so that when it comes out, it does not have a poor showing?

Sorry the above is just info all around your question, but clearly it does not answer it head on. Can anyone do so?

Leave a comment:

• ltomn
    replied
    Does revealing this in April accommodate the scheduling they need to run the C8.R next IMSA season?

Leave a comment:

• Shadow
    replied
    NYAS can be as early as March; next year’s is as late as it can be (public days from April 19th-28th). That is late, and in and of itself, mitigates the chances of a reveal there.

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied
    Good points meyerweb, and why I am not buying airline tickets anywhere yet.

Leave a comment:

• meyerweb
    replied
    Not sure what level this "engineer" is at, but unless very high up in the organization.... It's unlikely (to say the least) that GM is sharing any reveal information with the rank and file. I'd be willing to bet that even most of the engineers who have worked on the ME aren't in the loop on the reveal. I've worked with large companies, and rumors are as much the stock and trade there as they are on forums like this one.

Leave a comment:

• bobbytinvab
    replied
    ugh ... NY auto show ... I've been a few times and found that it wasn't worth the early rise, long drive and all the Toll$ to get there. I hope the reveal is sooner than that. No recent sightings lately has me somewhat concerned. I thought we would have heard something about the reveal by now ... only crickets from GM. It is what it is ... sigh.

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied
    I like your thoughts/ideas Quinten!

I suggested a while ago that a similar tact could be, every week at a specific time and place, release one tiny info morsel or mini-picture, say every Wednesday at 10:00 on Instagram or GM’s FB site, something like: “Today’s mini-tease is that we are increasing the number of its colors next year to X; tune in exactly one week from now for a mini-pic of its rear fascia.”

Leave a comment:

• Quinten
    replied
    Seeing how much hype there was surrounding the New York reveal of the Dodge Demon, I think that the teasing process is going to matter more than the reveal location. They took up a lot of the national press coverage for weeks, with a two-market, 3,300 unit car. Make it a 6-8 week teaser series with one per week, each being a short video(10-15 seconds) that focuses on a different aspect of the car such as the engine, aerodynamics, or curb weight, and include "easter egg" numbers in places like the tire lettering, dash screens, or even flash an unlabeled number for one or two frames of the video. The numbers can be something like 1:46pm, for a power:weight ratio of 1:4.6 or a phone number of 505-485-3100 for the horsepower-torque-weight.

That's how you build hype: build questions about the car.

The reveal location doesn't mean much these days, but the timing is a different story.

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied
    Originally posted by capevettes View Post
    I'm still betting on Detroit. Any place but Dubais. At least NY is in this country.
    Dubai was a super disappointment. I understand why not Europe because it can not be sold there, so guessing it was Dubai for they needed to get it out in November, but still not happy place for a reveal for many of us.

I totally agree that the ME’s reveal needs to be within the U.S. This is truly America’s sports car, and we run our race cars with an American flag on them. Not being self-centered, but the Corvette debuted in the U.S., and is only built here — and has forever only been built here.

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied
    Interesting point about the Corvette debuting in New York City. I am thinking one of the themes we will see, whenever it is revealed, is a video of the past Corvette prototype ME’s — visually showing us that mid engine Corvettes have been part of our DNA for sixty years, perhaps even one or two of those photos on stage surrounding the car, their talking about how the ME is part of our Corvette heritage, and maybe that we could see a “New York moment?”

Leave a comment:

• OnPoint
    replied
    That's what I thought. If that is an indication of the GM's lack of confidence in NY generating buzz for either a marque or a model, such would seem to suggest they wouldn't debut the ME there. Although the '53 being debuted there is an interesting fact.

Stills seems like Detroit would be a better bet for GM, but they don't pay me to make those decisions, and I have no idea what internal timing constraints they are juggling in getting the ME developed and ready.

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied
    Originally posted by OnPoint View Post
    Didn't Cadillac recently bail on NY?
    Yes, they are returning to Detroit.

Leave a comment:

• Ssscooter66
    replied
    Originally posted by capevettes View Post
    I'm still betting on Detroit. Any place but Dubais. At least NY is in this country.
    I'm agreeing with you , it should be revealed in the USA ?? . I purchased a H-D a few years ago that was exported ONLY the first year, makes no sense to me why a USA company would do this...

Leave a comment:

• AbqVic
    replied
    Zero probability it will be NYAS. Not enough time to generate enthusiasm between the NYAS dates and the NCM Bash dates.

Leave a comment:

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
Working...
X