MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 10 < >

New MECF Forum “Picture of the Day Award” (POTD) Section Started; To Be Eligible, Post Your Picture in our C1-6 or C7 section.

A different admin/mod chosen photo(s) each day, one you earlier placed of your car it in the C1-C6 Fantastic Corvettes section, the Compelling C7 section (or be admin/mod ME section chosen). We today feature Fireeagle’s C4: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...-the-day-award
2 of 10 < >

Superb Brand New FVS Render! Chazcron’s Exciting Work In Progress GIF Rendering! MidEngine Patent Filings/Grantings!

3 of 10 < >

EXCITING NEW FVS C8 GIF’S! CHAZCRON’S SUPERB MID ENGINE GIF! COMPENDIUM OF POTENTIAL ME PATENTS!

4 of 10 < >

C8 VS C7 COST COMPARISON! ALEX MACDONALD, GM’S CHIEF PERFORMANCE MANAGER! FVS’ LATEST INTERIOR RENDERING! CHAZCRON‘ S GIF

5 of 10 < >

C8 ME vs C7 FE Cost Comparison Analysis! FVS’ Latest Interior Rendering! Chazcron‘ s Work In Progress GIF/Render!

6 of 10 < >

Chazcron’s C8, 3D GIF Visualization “In Progress” ; FVS’s ME Interior Rendering ; New/Exhilarating “bdsvavars” Renders:

Chazcron’s ME, 3D Visualization: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...rk-in-progress

FVS’s C8 Interior Rendering: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...rior-rendering

Exiting “bdsvavars” New ME Renders: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...ars”-renders
7 of 10 < >

ME TO HAVE 6.2L, V8, 545 HP HYBRID? FVS INTERIOR C8 RENDERING! 2020 CORVETTE TO HAVE AN ACTIVE SPOILER?

8 of 10 < >

New FVS Interior C8 Rendering! C8 TO HAVE AN ACTIVE SPOILER VERSION? WHAT THE ME WOULD LOOK LIKE WITH A FRONT LICENSE PLATE

Revised ZORA Interior Render By FVS: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...rior-rendering
C8 To Have Active Spoiler Version? : https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...r-aero-spoiler
ME’s Front Plate Appearance: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...-c8-appearance
9 of 10 < >

C8 TO HAVE AN ACTIVE SPOILER VERSION? 1ST ZORA INTERIOR RENDERING THANKS TO FVS... WHAT THE ME WOULD LOOK LIKE WITH A FRONT LICENSE PLATE

ME To Have Active Spoiler Version? : https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...r-aero-spoiler

Zora First Interior Rendering By FVS: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...rior-rendering

ME’s Front Plate Appearance: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...-c8-appearance
10 of 10 < >

NEW “CHAZCRON” C8 SIDE RENDER... 1ST ZORA INTERIOR RENDERING THANKS TO FVS... WHAT THE ME WILL LOOK LIKE WITH A FRONT LICENSE PLATE

New C8 Side Render by “chazcron”: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...-c8-rendering

Zora First Interior Rendering By FVS: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...nterior-render

ME’s Front Plate Appearance: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...-c8-appearance
See more
See less

C8 hidden active rear aero spoiler

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • C8 hidden active rear aero spoiler

    Hidden in plain sight?

    I was looking at the rear end images again and was reminded of the odd shaped top rear surface just below the spoiler. There are several steps and jogs there that don't seem exactly right. Why have a bunch of steps and down angle shapes built in there if nothing is attached?

    Note the 3d CAD image to see the odd top surface step-downs indicated by the lines. Should this surface not be smooth for aerodynamic efficiency?

    I am wondering if there may be a hidden (for now) active aero wing that was removed for testing and replaced with a fixed wing that approximates the shaped of the raised active wing?

    Note in the CAD images, there are a series of holes along the top rear surface of the CAD that seem to indicate "something" should be there...but in the CU rear camo image... there is nothing there. Just a step-down ledge that looks like it could nest a lowered wing?

    Also note the center area above the Lic plate area. It sticks out really far with a suspicious upper beveled down angle. Why? Just a trailing edge? Or blown spoiler...somehow?

    What do you think?

    Click image for larger version

Name:	c8 rear spoiler thread 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	3.16 MB
ID:	12910Click image for larger version

Name:	c8 where are the holes2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	2.31 MB
ID:	12911



  • #2
    a larger image.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	c8 rear spoiler deck detail.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	3.00 MB
ID:	12913

    Comment


    • #3
      Click image for larger version

Name:	c8 aero gif.gif
Views:	3
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	12915

      Comment


      • #4
        Looks like it would make sense.
        There is a madness to my method!

        2015 Z06 Torch/adrenaline
        2001 coupe Torch/oak R8C
        79 coupe Silver/oyster
        All one owner
        Museum lifetime members

        Comment


        • #5
          If it’s not... it should be ! ; )

          Comment


          • #6
            Good assessment and excellent renderings as usual, especially the "active" one in Post #3.

            I hope the base model is not equipped with an active aero wing for two reasons; 1) Not necessary, 2) Cost.

            If my base C8 is equipped with an activate aero wing it would spend its life in the non-deployed position. Wouldn't want to pay for that feature as I would never use it. Probably a different story for the higher power C8 versions.
            Last edited by Boomer; 10-17-2018, 02:49 PM. Reason: base

            Comment


            • #7
              Thank you fvs for a great question, and also its supporting, CAD’s and renders to support it. Excellent thread!

              It re-sparked a question we have lightly asked before, the question of whether GM, as they did with the C5, and the C6, and the C7, have for the C8 both a regular/entry version and a Z-51 version.

              If so, could we have the entry version without a spoiler at, and if there is one, the Z-51 version with an active spoiler? Or does the Z-51 version (and if it exists), only have a fixed wing spoiler as we have seen for the last six weeks, e.g., early September when Quinten start our thread of “it’s naked,” when it had then shed its earlier, thick black outer camo layer?

              With perhaps an active spoiler coming for the 2021+ high performance version?

              Never thought of the possibility you have raised fvs, that there could be an active spoiler later, and to roughly simulate it at this time, to have a fixed version bolted on the car for initial testing.



              Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. A 2020 ME Corvette is coming next.

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks for the photo update FVS. Though a few of us have discussed this very thought when the photos first emerged from the Nurburgring photos release. I noticed that notch from those photos and thought the same thing. In fact I've thought that the rear spoiler was a plant on to divert attention away from the active design. I cannot imagine GM having two separate rear fascia die molds at one million dollars each for two separate spoilers. Having only one rear fascia configuration would offset the extra cost of the active system per unit. Then to compound the issue of having another wide body rear fascia die mold for a third rear fascia die mold. I'm thinking the active system is going to be on the ZORA from the get go.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Skank View Post
                  Thanks for the photo update FVS. Though a few of us have discussed this very thought when the photos first emerged from the Nurburgring photos release. I noticed that notch from those photos and thought the same thing. In fact I've thought that the rear spoiler was a plant on to divert attention away from the active design. I cannot imagine GM having two separate rear fascia die molds at one million dollars each for two separate spoilers. Having only one rear fascia configuration would offset the extra cost of the active system per unit. Then to compound the issue of having another wide body rear fascia die mold for a third rear fascia die mold. I'm thinking the active system is going to be on the ZORA from the get go.
                  I agree. But they could simply use the same rear end and fill the active spoiler notch with a fixed spoiler, large or small. Would not add development cost. Just leaving out the active gear do we get two trim levels.

                  they also could have different molds. They spent almost a billion dollars. What’s a few extra million! ? ; )
                  Last edited by fvs; 10-17-2018, 05:12 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The base price on the entry level ZORA will explain everything. If it starts out at 80k to 90k they might be able to include a active system in it. Both McClellen and Hill think it's going to come out more expensive at release. In fact Dave Hill said somewhere between 70k to 100k to start out bare bones base car which pegs it at 85k realistically. I've had the active aero spoiler on my list thread for over a year now ever since we saw it on those Zerv leaks. Time for us to find out !!!!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Great sleuth work FVS. I certainly hope that active spoiler becomes a reality on the ME. It is a dynamic design in both visual performance as well as aerodynamic benefits. Other cars that have active spoilers are more like goosebumps, so small a movement that you can't appreciate the change from the driver's seat. Your proposed design is dramatic and really makes you think and feel something significant is happening.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Skank View Post
                        The base price on the entry level ZORA will explain everything. If it starts out at 80k to 90k they might be able to include a active system in it. Both McClellen and Hill think it's going to come out more expensive at release. In fact Dave Hill said somewhere between 70k to 100k to start out bare bones base car which pegs it at 85k realistically. I've had the active aero spoiler on my list thread for over a year now ever since we saw it on those Zerv leaks. Time for us to find out !!!!
                        I agree with the $85k but there "may be" a stripped version at $65-$70 just to get people in the door. I don't think a base price somewhere in the current C7GS range would be out of the question and could well include an active aero system. It does not "need" to be expensive or complicated.

                        I also agree it is time for us to start getting some real info !

                        Along with this, as I have posted, I HOPE they offer a auto lift system where the car rides "high" at low speeds and squats at higher speeds. Of course it would be locked out for race days! I need this in the North East for driveways, speed bumps and pot-holes !

                        The car does look like it rides high in some spy images...especially in the snow testing and I know some have commented at the "excessive" wheel arch space being much more than competitive cars. I will continue hoping !





                        Last edited by fvs; 10-17-2018, 05:56 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by fvs View Post

                          I agree with the $85k but there "may be" a stripped version at $65-$70 just to get people in the door. I don't think a base price somewhere in the current C7GS range would be out of the question and could well include an active aero system. It does not "need" to be expensive or complicated.


                          I simply do not see a stripped version at $65k-$70K. That is basically selling the exterior facade and the engine placement to someone. Leaving off all of the new technological advances and improvements from this new automobile defeats the purpose of having a new format.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            But even if there were such a “stripper,” while you are accurate it would leave out some of the ME’s potential enhancements, it would not eliminate its primary one of having the weight of the motor/transaxle centered over the driving wheels — with all the better handling, braking and acceleration consequences.
                            Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. A 2020 ME Corvette is coming next.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by John View Post
                              But even if there were such a “stripper,” while you are accurate it would leave out some of the ME’s potential enhancements, it would not eliminate its primary one of having the weight of the motor/transaxle centered over the driving wheels — with all the better handling, braking and acceleration consequences.
                              Understood, John! However, the transaxle weight issues, by themselves, will only go so far to better handling, braking and acceleration. It's the magneto rheological engine mounts and the coil over shocks, both of which add substantially to a build, that will more effect those capabilities. Add in active aero and one has a much higher invoice for the purchase of the car but much better handling, braking and acceleration!

                              Comment

                              MECF_728x90_bottom

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X