Right Side Drive Corvette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right Side Drive Corvette

Does anyone out know the 1. cost/profit dynamics and the 2. prestige dynamics associated with the Corvette being offered or not offered in Right-hand drive to the world market. Can Corvette make money off right-drive? Can Corvette be taken seriously as a world car if it is not offered in right-hand drive?
    Last edited by SheepDog; 10-08-2018, 08:51 PM.

Originally posted by SheepDog View Post
    Does anyone out know the 1. cost/profit dynamics and the 2. prestige dynamics associated with the Corvette being offered or not offered in Right-hand drive to the world market. Can Corvette make money off right-drive? Can Corvette be taken seriously as a world car if it is not offered in right-hand drive?
    Probably no right seat drive. Use both hands for driving. We drive in the right lane here like many countries.

Last edited by Boomer; 10-08-2018, 09:01 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

GM spend a hell of a lot of money and time getting the Corvette flag licensed in Austrailia and also getting the name Zora patented there, so maybe we do have a right hand drive...
      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
        GM spend a hell of a lot of money and time getting the Corvette flag licensed in Austrailia and also getting the name Zora patented there, so maybe we do have a right hand drive...
        Guess its required there. Hope the revenue covers the cost. SheepDog, is that where you are?

Last edited by Boomer; 10-08-2018, 09:36 PM.

Comment

I would bet that from the outset, the ME was designed and engineered to be bi-lateral. The following countries are right hand drive:
          • Australia
          • Caribbean Islands*
          • Channel Islands
          • Cyprus
          • Japan
          • Hong Kong
          • India
          • Isle of Man
          • Ireland
          • Jamaica
          • Kenya
          • Malta
          • Malaysia
          • New Zealand
          • South Africa
          • Singapore
          • Thailand
          • UK

Sometimes, because of “prestige,” a business decision is made that is not justified based on dollars and cents. Although we may never know whether GM nets out a profit or a minor loss as a result of, IMO, the ME being ambidextrous.

However, could the right hand drive version of the ME not be introduced until six months or a year later? For sure.
          GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by Boomer View Post

Guess its required there. Hope the revenue covers the cost. SheepDog, is that where you are?

No. I'm USA. But a world class car needs to be designed like it cares about the world and wants the world to care about it.

Comment

No. I'm USA. But a world class car needs to be designed like it cares about the world and wants the world to care about it.
              OK on the USA. Couldn't quite get the metaphor about "car needs to be designed like it cares about the world" but sounds good.

I'm less concerned with right seat drive if thats your "care about the world" issue, than performance and durability on US highways.

Last edited by Boomer; 10-08-2018, 10:31 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE[/LIST]
                Sometimes, because of “prestige,” a business decision is made that is not justified based on dollars and cents. Although we may never know whether GM nets out a profit or a minor loss as a result of, IMO, the ME being ambidextrous.

However, could the right hand drive version of the ME not be introduced until six months or a year later? For sure.
                [/QUOTE]

If it is a twin-clutch auto, then the differences are 1. steering wheel location and interfacing, 2. foot pedals, 3. dash orientation and 4. ???. There are people at or formerly at Porche, Ferrari who can do a seminar. A computer program can probably reverse the design. It would cost whatever it would cost in added production expense. Would that additional cost added to the sticker in Australia, UK or elsewhere be a deal breaker? If it cost just a little more (5%) is that a problem? The foreign markets are said to prefer the high-end Vettes and avoid the entry level.

Is it just a lack of will? How does it impact image, brand, and prestige? Is not that stuff inseparable? Does it play into, in part, why people see Porsche as on a higher level than Corvette?
                Last edited by SheepDog; 10-08-2018, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Thank you. All three (plus #4) are do-able. I am thinking of this positively, that we will have a bi-lateral ME. To be the world class vehicle that GM wants it to be, the ME needs to be both.
                  Last edited by John; 10-08-2018, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                    Thank you. All three (plus #4) are do-able. I am thinking of this positively, that we will have a bi-lateral ME. To be the world class vehicle that GM wants it to be, the ME needs to be both.
                    Would Jag, Aston Martin, Rolles, etc be what they are if limited to right-hand drive? Honda? Toyota?
                    What about Porsche, BMW, Audi, and the Italians if limited to left-hand drive.
                    Is Mustang the world's best selling "sports car" and Muscle car?

Comment

Is it just a lack of will? How does it impact image, brand, and prestige? Is not that stuff inseparable? Does it play into, in part, why people see Porsche as on a higher level than Corvette?
                      Nah. Who sees Porsche that way? Thats provocative.

No lack of will. Just good business decisions. Needs to be successful here. Doesn't need to be "bilateral" if that means right seat drive, That market is limited for Corvettes. How many right seat drive C7s were produced last year by Chevy?

SheepDog: Your commitment to right seat drive when this thing hasn't even been produced yet sounds critical to you. Quite passionate. Would that be a barrier to you getting a regular left seat drive C8 in your USA location?

Last edited by Boomer; 10-08-2018, 11:40 PM.

Comment

I recall speculation that the C8 (or whatever it's called) would be engineered so it could be manufactured in both left and right-hand drive versions. GM had trademark issues with the Corvette logo in Australia, and went to great lengths to resolve them, leading people to think they must have plans to sell the car there (otherwise why bother fighting the trademark battle?). Not having a big lump of engine in front may make it easier to design for both versions.
                        Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Would Jag, Aston Martin, Rolles, etc be what they are if limited to right-hand drive? Honda? Toyota?
                          What about Porsche, BMW, Audi, and the Italians if limited to left-hand drive.
                          Is Mustang the world's best selling "sports car" and Muscle car?
                          For car makers in right-hand drive countries, like the UK and Japan, it is not only cost-effective to manufacture versions for customers in the majority of the world, it's pretty much mandatory if you want to be an internationally successful firm. The cost benefit ratio is far different for manufacturers in left-hand drive countries. Especially the U.S. The market for right-hand drive cars is much, much smaller than for left-hand drive. The return on investment for GM to manufacture both versions of cars is much different. Especially since few of the cars made in America are really suited for English and Japanese consumers (a whole different issue, but related.)

For Euro companies, the calculus is a little different, since the UK is (for now) part of the European Union, which makes it much less expensive for the British to import other European autos. But I think Porsche, BMW, Audi, etc would be just fine if they only sold left hand drive cars to the vast majority of the world's drivers.
                          Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

70% of the world drives on the right. I don't think the reputation of any car is hinged on whether it's made in both right and left hand drive. Designing a car for the minority is a bad business decision. Click image for larger version

Name:	leftrightdrive.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	12231

Comment

Originally posted by ABorC View Post

70% of the world drives on the right. I don't think the reputation of any car is hinged on whether it's made in both right and left hand drive. Designing a car for the minority is a bad business decision. Click image for larger version  Name:	leftrightdrive.JPG Views:	1 Size:	194.7 KB ID:	12231

I agree 100% with the reasoning, with the logic, and the practical common sense of your view and support. It is perfect linear reasoning. Linear stuff only works short term for a few steps forward in decision making or prediction. However, 1. to some extent the Forum attempts to predict the future of Corvette, its design and performance. Is that linear or nonlinear. 2. The Corvette international competition does design for the minority 30%. 3. Corvette usually sells only about 1500 units outside North America annually. 4. There is a correlation between the commitment to market internationally and the direction of design and performance. Since we are looking at camo cars and guessing from that what the future is, we may as well look at other indicators that are under wraps.

So, Whether the C8 Corvette is designed for right side drive, as irrelevant as it may seem, tell a lot about the future direction of Corvette design and performance. Local performance car or international supercar. Who it is designed for figures into the outcome.

The 30% potential in sales seems to matter to car manufacturers outside the USA. Who is winning?

Also as linear decision makers, we are abandoning selling cars and going all out selling SUV. Giving all that market share up to the Asians and Europeans for a vision of short-term advantage. Designing stuff so that it does not exclude potential market (10% 20% 30%) is worth the effort.

Querry: Can we look at the markets intended to be excluded and from that predict the future direction of Corvette design and performance.
                              Last edited by SheepDog; 10-10-2018, 09:45 AM.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X