ME Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ME Tires

While petering around in the garage this past weekend, starting to get gear organized to go run the Texas Mile in a couple weeks or so, I had a thought pop in my head as I moved an extra set of tires to a different spot. When the C6 ZR debuted, it rolled out with a tire size unique to itself. Early on, and for several years, tire options for the ZR meant changing wheel sizes, as darn little was available in factory sizes as options. Then the C7 Z06 rolled out on the same size tire. And then after that the C7 GS did as well. Now - that size class is beginning (finally) to have a few tire options, including, belatedly, all season fitments (for those folks up north).

As I was moving my extra set of tires around and reminded of this, it made me think of the ME tire sizes we've seen captured on the test cars. Tire sizes not unique to it, and in fact found on several ME and other sports cars. That will be a nice factor for early adopters of these cars, as tire choices won't be choked down for a few years like the C6 ZR was.

Now, it will be interesting to see if that holds true with the higher hp variant coming a year or so later, but given the ME layout which favors weight transfer to the rear on accel, and the braking balance of the ME which can benefit tire and brake sizing up front, my guess is that while the higher hp variant will surely come in a larger tire size than the base model, it'll hopefully be in a relatively common size class as well.

I would anticipate that the tires will be bespoke, that is, just like the C7 when introduced, designed specifically by the tire manufacturer and in conjunction with GM for the C8.
    Enthusiastic owner of 'RedHot' Prod.Wk 7 Oct '13 Museum Del. 29 Oct '13
    Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum
    Web site: https://www.daumphotography.com/
    blog: https://insight.daumphotography.com/

Comment

I just re-read part of Larry Esall’s very informative book, The Making of the Seventh Generation Corvette Stingray, specifically that Michelin and GM worked to develop three progressive versions of the PSS’s for the C7. As the C7 was further refined (suspension and component tuning), Michelin would progressive make a new version of the tire. We customers got the third version.

As Jeff noted, probably the same thing is happening right now for C8 development — though whether the car at the ‘Ring last month was running the middle version or the final version fo the Michelin 4S bespoke tires, we might never know.
      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

I agree there will likely be specific compounds engineered for the ME. That's a different issue than sizing, at least insofar as alternative tire options go.

Comment

Exactly — that the tire compounds for the ME will be unique. However, we know the final sizing of the Michelin 4S’s front and rear, and for those who have not yet seen that:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DB8778D3-6F21-4143-B302-DFA8BE5D95B5.jpeg
Views:	81
Size:	561.8 KB
ID:	11500

GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
          Working...
          X