MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Official C8 Owners Manual, Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

See more
See less

Dummy's guide to Quality Hold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dummy's guide to Quality Hold

Would someone please explain to me, using small words, what the Quality Hold is all about? I've seen videos and read comments, but have yet to get a clear, concise explanation of just what it's all about. Your knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Basically, if something slipped-by all the engineers and also wasn't noted in the test fleet, they still have all the initial 2020 C8 production on-site (for the duration of the QC hold) so that they can correct the issue.

That's my understanding.
    Upcoming Vette:
    '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package 2000 Status on December 27, 2019, 3000 Status on January 2, 2020, 3400 Status on March 10, 2020, TPW of March 16, 2020

Current Vettes:
    '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
    '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
    '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

Okay I just learned something. They are not going from car to car checking quality, they are holding the entire fleet in case something universal shows up. That's why they are able to wrap them.
      Torch red 1LT, no options

Comment

Originally posted by WillRockwell View Post
        Okay I just learned something. They are not going from car to car checking quality, they are holding the entire fleet in case something universal shows up. That's why they are able to wrap them.
        There are many processes with regard to quality control at the BGA (Bowling Green Assembly).

1) Cars are checked by quality control engineers periodically along the assembly line.
        2) Cars are checked by assembly line personnel at the end of the assembly line and then beyond the assembly line in the "Care" line.
        3) Two cars per shift as pulled for what is called the "Global Customer Audit." This involves a team combing over every part of the car plus additional test miles. This lasts several hours.
        4) Normally, cars are held at the plant between one and two weeks. This is the usual quality hold time period. If a batch of parts is discovered to be defective, the cars with that batch of parts can be brought in and the parts replaced before shipping.
        5) The beginning of a model year change, and particularly the beginning of a generation change, always has a longer quality hold which typically lasts four weeks.

Comment

The Quality Control Hold is a GM procedure for all new or radically revised vehicles. Before getting into the hands of customers, GM wants some assurity that all components meet their quality standards and were assembled correctly. There are over 350 3rd party suppliers to the C8 Corvette. If you think about it, very few parts and or components are made by GM. The greater majority are sourced from the outside. Additionally, any new product or one that was radically revised, will have new assembly procedures on the assembly line. An early systemic failure of quality in components or assembly is a sure fire way to kill a launch of a new vehicle!

It is my understanding that random cars are pulled from the assembly line and thoroughly checked for quality. This is performed by a special team that scours over the entire car for as much as nine hours. Whatever failures they may find on a randomly selected car are then checked on cars on "Hold" whose Vin numbers are earlier and later than the inspected car. This is to see if there is a pattern in the failure or just a one-off QC problem. This is the reason for the "Hold" and why there may now be as many as 500+ C8 customer cars being held in the BGA parking lot. When BGA feels that they have found any areas that required correction and that cars are being produced off the line that meets their expectation, they will release the cars currently being held for quality checks. The QCH program generally lasts for four weeks. If you count a number of cars produced prior to customer cars, the QCH program may well be in its 4th or 5th week!
          GD0 Accelerate Yellow Metallic; 3LT; HUE Natural Napa Leather; AE4 Competition Sport Seats; FA5 CF Interior Trim; Z51; FE4 Mag Ride Suspension; E60 Front Lift; Q8Q CF Open Spoke Wheels; J6F BR Brembo Calipers; RCC ER Intake Cover; DTH CF Racing Stripes; ZZ3 Engine App Package; VQK Splash Guards; ERI Battery Protection; R8C Museum Delivery

Proud LTM NCM.

Comment

Thank you for the excellent insights. Much appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by whl3 View Post
              The Quality Control Hold is a GM procedure for all new or radically revised vehicles. Before getting into the hands of customers, GM wants some assurity that all components meet their quality standards and were assembled correctly. There are over 350 3rd party suppliers to the C8 Corvette. If you think about it, very few parts and or components are made by GM. The greater majority are sourced from the outside. Additionally, any new product or one that was radically revised, will have new assembly procedures on the assembly line. An early systemic failure of quality in components or assembly is a sure fire way to kill a launch of a new vehicle!

It is my understanding that random cars are pulled from the assembly line and thoroughly checked for quality. This is performed by a special team that scours over the entire car for as much as nine hours. Whatever failures they may find on a randomly selected car are then checked on cars on "Hold" whose Vin numbers are earlier and later than the inspected car. This is to see if there is a pattern in the failure or just a one-off QC problem. This is the reason for the "Hold" and why there may now be as many as 500+ C8 customer cars being held in the BGA parking lot. When BGA feels that they have found any areas that required correction and that cars are being produced off the line that meets their expectation, they will release the cars currently being held for quality checks. The QCH program generally lasts for four weeks. If you count a number of cars produced prior to customer cars, the QCH program may well be in its 4th or 5th week!
              Excellent response, you cleared up the same questions that I had. I have a HTC on order at status code 3000, with a previous TPW of 04.13, then the TPW disappeared. My question is, will the HTC first production group go through their own separate QCH?

Comment

Originally posted by Harry2 View Post

Excellent response, you cleared up the same questions that I had. I have a HTC on order at status code 3000, with a previous TPW of 04.13, then the TPW disappeared. My question is, will the HTC first production group go through their own separate QCH?
                I would say yes but not very long probably because not everything in the car is new. Just part of it.

Comment

Thanks brAnd7onX. I agree that they will have their own HTC (GM always does on new models); I believe GM’s standard on all new models is at least a ten day QCH minimum, and also agree with you that it would probably be of shorter length than the coupes. But if during that time they find something that needs “fixin” that could as we all know lengthen it until they 100% figure it out and are fully satisfied.

In talking with Harlan the day before yesterday he stressed that they want the coupe QCH over as soon as possible but they will not compromise timing, that they will keep them until all their quality measures have been met.

GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover, 5JR vis CF mirror caps, and VJR illuminated sill plates.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                    Thanks brAnd7onX. I agree that they will have their own HTC (GM always does on new models); I believe GM’s standard on all new models is at least a ten day QCH minimum, and also agree with you that it would probably be of shorter length than the coupes. But if during that time they find something that needs “fixin” that could as we all know lengthen it until they 100% figure it out and are fully satisfied.

In talking with Harlan the day before yesterday he stressed that they want the coupe QCH over as soon as possible but they will not compromise timing, that they will keep them until all their quality measures have been met.
                    That's very refreshing to hear that they are taking their time and making sure they get it right. While we are all pulling out our hair and grinding our teeth I know I can sleep well at night knowing that they will eventually ship cars to us after a rigorous and methodical QC hold.

Comment

Here's a short video that describes the C8s that have been built and the QC hold process.
                      Upcoming Vette:
                      '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package 2000 Status on December 27, 2019, 3000 Status on January 2, 2020, 3400 Status on March 10, 2020, TPW of March 16, 2020

Current Vettes:
                      '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
                      '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
                      '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

my car just hit 4000 so soon to be shipped

Comment

Originally posted by mark s View Post
                          my car just hit 4000 so soon to be shipped
                          Congrats Mark. Let us know when it hits the road so I can bug Shane at the NCM to get mine out of the parking lot and ready for delivery.

Comment

Originally posted by Baja 405 View Post

Congrats Mark. Let us know when it hits the road so I can bug Shane at the NCM to get mine out of the parking lot and ready for delivery.
                            What!!!?? What's your VIN? First I've heard of a car going to 4000. There are no cars listed at 4000 on Kerbeck's site as of today's update.

Comment

Originally posted by VicH View Post

What!!!?? What's your VIN? First I've heard of a car going to 4000. There are no cars listed at 4000 on Kerbeck's site as of today's update.
                              I have heard of Vin# L5000xxx going to 4000, I have not heard of any Vin# L5100xxx going to 4000 yet but who knows.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X