MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Official C8 Owners Manual, Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

See more
See less

Splash Guards Worth Getting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splash Guards Worth Getting

The C8 will be my first new Corvette. How much do the splash guards help against rock chips?

I have a torch red Z51 LT3 on order and thinking of going with the grey trident wheels. Will the splash guards diminish the look in your opinion?

I may end up installing a wheel offset to bring the wheels out just a bit more too.

Thanks for any advice.

Not that I care about hardware to go home, but we have won a bunch during our C5, C6 and C7’s; every Corvette we have owned has had splash guards. Yes, they sure do dismiss backward flying rock chips. But to say that they 100% eliminate them would be an exaggeration.

I am going to closely examine the wheel “stance” when ours arrives and have not yet ruled out narrow 5MM wheel spacers for the front.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover, 5JR vis CF mirror caps, and VJR illuminated sill plates.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

I wouldn't think anyone knows as they haven't even been able to drive one with or without. My plan is getting SS guards sanding them to rough them up then painting body color.
      Having had many cars with splash guards, the problem is at traveling 30-85 mph even if the rock hits the splash guards they usually bounce off the pavement and come back up and hit the car, or they go just under the splash guard hit the road and come back up. I don't even know if they are really worth it. And when it's raining they collect dirty water and it blows off them and all over the side and back of the car anyway.
      Last edited by Frenzy36; 02-15-2020, 02:52 PM.
      Rocket City Florida

Comment

I am getting splash guards and I do think it does help with rocks and I don’t think it changes the look at all. Just my opinion

Comment

I do like the idea of painting them to match the body color and that may make them less noticable on a red car.

Thanks for the tip frenzy36!

Comment

I have concerns the C8 will be very susceptible to road rash, due to the way the rocker area is shaped compared to the C7. The ones I bought for the C7 were painted to match by the vendor. It seems Carbon Flash could be a good color also...
            2020 Convertible, Torch Red, 2LT, NPP, Natural, GT1, E60, Q8Q, perpetual status 3000

Comment

Originally posted by pksjc View Post
              I do like the idea of painting them to match the body color and that may make them less noticable on a red car.

Thanks for the tip frenzy36!
              it looks like they go well behind the tire, maybe just paint it to the point where the color ends

Comment

I got them for mine. For $145 I figured I'd try them out. Can't do any harm, only good.
                Torch Red C8 Spider

Comment

I am definitely letting them, but I wanted something a bit wider than the stock GM ones. I know ACS currently sells them and will most likely have an XL version in the future. Yesterday, I emailed ACS and asked them how the ones they are selling now compare to stock GM.

Comment

The C8 will be my first new Corvette. How much do the splash guards help against rock chips?

I have a torch red Z51 LT3 on order and thinking of going with the grey trident wheels. Will the splash guards diminish the look in your opinion?

I may end up installing a wheel offset to bring the wheels out just a bit more too.

Thanks for any advice.
                    I ordered them, for the price it is a no brainer. I have GT3 and nothing is $250.

Comment

I've ordered them as the prudent thing to do. However, they sure do look like a compromise between unobtrusive and wide-enough-to-make-a-difference.

Depending on your paint color choice, might painting them body color make them more obvious? Black would blend well with tires, wheel wells, and asphalt. I'm undecided.
                      C8 Coupe, Zeus Bronze, 3LT, TU7, HUE, GUI, CF7, EFY, EYK, J6N, NPP, E60, STI, VQK

Comment

Think of them as fender flares and no drilling is required.

Comment

I have them on my C7 and they do help. I have also purchased them fo my C8 and will install after museum delivery before roadtrip home. The GH SG's have a pebble finish which is a change from smooth texture for the C7. Not sure how they would look with painted color.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralston View Post
                            I've ordered them as the prudent thing to do. However, they sure do look like a compromise between unobtrusive and wide-enough-to-make-a-difference.

Depending on your paint color choice, might painting them body color make them more obvious? Black would blend well with tires, wheel wells, and asphalt. I'm undecided.
                            I also have had them on several Corvettes. Often folks will look at my car for a while.Only after a fair amount of time will they notice, OH you have mud flaps. I will be sticking with the OEM black ones.

Comment

Thanks for any advice.
                              I've had the factory ones front and rear on both my C7s and never have seen a chip or ding. Plus, unless you look closely, you can hardly tell they're on there.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X