MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Official C8 Owners Manual, Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

See more
See less

NPP Performance Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPP Performance Exhaust

I have a question about the NPP Performance Exhaust. Does anyone know exactly what this system sounds like in the various modes? I have heard plenty of C8 exhaust recordings on video but not clear which ones had the NPP although I could assume those with the wing had it due to being Z51’s. However, the GM description says “Exhaust, performance, 5 hp and torque increase, and aggressive exhaust sound varies with driver mode selected, with stainless-steel tips”. I assume this “varies with driver mode” means it is sort of a captain’s call type system with a variable bi-pass to the muffler… but how does it sound in the various modes? What is the default mode on engine start-up? Most of the exhaust recordings I have heard have been on start-up.
    G9F Ceramic Matrix Grey Metallic; 2LT; Adrenaline Red interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 Front Lift; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; Black Rocker Panel Extensions

The C7 had the settings tied to the different drive modes. These settings could be overridden (on the later C7s) in the Engine Sound Management menu with options for Stealth, Tour, Sport, and Track with each setting getting progressively louder. The computer controlled when the muffler valves opened and closed depending on RPMs and engine load conditions. Stealth rarely (if ever - I don't know - never used the setting) opened the valves. Sport closed the valves during cruising to avoid drone. Track rarely (if ever - there was some controversy) closed the valves. The valves were open during start when in the Sport or Track mode.
    On Deposit: 2020 C8 Stingray Convertible - Torch Red - Natural Dipped 3LT - Z51 w/MSRC - Front Lift

Comment

Originally posted by RKCRLR View Post
      The C7 had the settings tied to the different drive modes. These settings could be overridden (on the later C7s) in the Engine Sound Management menu with options for Stealth, Tour, Sport, and Track with each setting getting progressively louder. The computer controlled when the muffler valves opened and closed depending on RPMs and engine load conditions. Stealth rarely (if ever - I don't know - never used the setting) opened the valves. Sport closed the valves during cruising to avoid drone. Track rarely (if ever - there was some controversy) closed the valves. The valves were open during start when in the Sport or Track mode.
      Thanks! That makes good sense... but I'm wondering what it sounds like! I can't wait to find out...
      G9F Ceramic Matrix Grey Metallic; 2LT; Adrenaline Red interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 Front Lift; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; Black Rocker Panel Extensions

Comment

The Npp on my C7 sounds good. I have heard some Corsa's and some Borla's that sound good also. The Npp is a good option as stated above its linked to the mode selector. Charlie aka cutnout

Comment

There are some videos on the net but unless you’re in person, you’re not going to get a true rendition of the sound. Most videos will be recorded with a mobile device which lacks the dynamic range to capture the audio. Then you’re probably playing back a crappy audio track on an equally crappy audio system on your computer or worse mobile device. There’s nothing like audio that goes to 11, And I think that’s what you need to hear this Carr!
          Last edited by LightningBolt; 02-15-2020, 05:02 PM.
          Vin # 2539
          Torch Red LT2 Z51

Comment

So on the plane last night I was reading a Corvette Magazine and there was an add by a company named Akrapovic advertising a C7 Zo6 muffler set. It claims up to +18.3 HP @ 5750 RPM. So I don't know if it is true but if it is then why does the C8 system only give you 5 additional HP over the stock system.

Comment

The C7’s exhaust system is completely different than the C8’s so HP comparisons between the two are not valid, especially as one is a FE, the other an ME.

As to the main reason for NPP in my opinion, is that it gives you adjustability. If you want it loud, place your exhaust in track mode; if you are leaving a 4:00 AM and do not want to annoy your neighbors and/or if you are going to do 500+ miles in a day, put it into stealth mode or anywhere in between those two adjustment options as your mood changes (and your passenger’s desires too.

NPP ​​​​is one of my priority top option choices. I would not leave home without it, especially as one can order it without a single other option on every trim level. If it cost the same and did not result in any extra HP, I would still feel the same.
              GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover, 5JR vis CF mirror caps, and VJR illuminated sill plates.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by jagtoes View Post
                So on the plane last night I was reading a Corvette Magazine and there was an add by a company named Akrapovic advertising a C7 Zo6 muffler set. It claims up to +18.3 HP @ 5750 RPM. So I don't know if it is true but if it is then why does the C8 system only give you 5 additional HP over the stock system.
                The factory exhaust system has to meet all federal and state sound level regulations. Aftermarket systems, while they're supposed to, rarely do. A member of my Corvette Club has a C7 Z06 with Akrapovic pipes. It is LOUD. Not even close to legal.
                SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post

NPP ​​​​is one of my priority top option choices. I would not leave home without it, especially as one can order it without a single other option on every trim level. If it cost the same and did not result in any extra HP, I would still feel the same.
                  Agree. It is the first option I look for. Sound of a sports car is a major part of the thrill.
                  2020 Convertible, Torch Red, 2LT, NPP, Natural, GT1, E60, Q8Q, perpetual status 3000

Comment

Originally posted by jagtoes View Post
                    On some of the dyno results I've seen, the secondary cats were also removed as part of the system.
                    Atomic Orange C6. Plenty of engine and suspension mods.

C8 HTC with Z51 FE4 coming fall 2020.

Comment

Some did that for their C7 exhaust systems/testing. On the C8, there are no secondary cats.
                      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover, 5JR vis CF mirror caps, and VJR illuminated sill plates.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Getting the NPP is IMHO, a no brainer. Might as well enjoy the sound of an ICE engine while we can, as it will be a thing of the past when EV’s take over in a decade or two.
                        Future: 2020 C8 Z51 3LT Torch Red - 3000 status
                        Current: 2014 C7 Z51 3LT Torch Red
                        Prior: 1992 C4, 1995 C4 2002 C5, 2005 C6, 2010 C6

Comment

Some did that for their C7 exhaust systems/testing. On the C8, there are no secondary cats.
                          👍

Just trying to get to an apples to apples comparison.
                          Atomic Orange C6. Plenty of engine and suspension mods.

C8 HTC with Z51 FE4 coming fall 2020.

Comment

I went to the Akrapovic website and took a look at the systems they have for existing Corvettes very nice informative site. I opened the installation instructions for the C7 system. Take a look! The instructions are well thought out, photos are clear and written instructions are easy to follow I hope the service manuals for the C8 are as good.
                            Our C8 Arctic White, two tone interior black w/ red seats, 3LT...options--EYK, PIN, E60, ZZ3,VK3, ZYC, DTH, Q8Q, ERI, YF5, FE4, Z51, BV4

Comment

The C8 have a new generation designed CAT.
                              It is a dual stage/flow so acts like primary and secondary CATs, so reason they are larger in size.

May also have gone from a narrow to wideband O2 sensors
                              Corvettes owned, wrenched on and raced since 1975:
                              1974,75,77,84,87,89,91,93,94 ZR-1 & 1999 Mallett 435

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X