MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Official C8 Owners Manual, Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

See more
See less

‘53 or ‘54?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ‘53 or ‘54?

This comment was given to Rick Conti by a customer. Signing up for a 2020 and the getting a 2021 would be like getting a ‘54 instead of a ‘53. I’ve signed up for a bone stock 1LT. I bet there’ll be very few 2020’s of that type as seen on the constraint chart and the builds to date. The future collectability must be affected by this in some way. I know there may be better advantages to a 2021. The ‘58 was really nice. There may also be discouraging price adjustments as it is what it is. However, many years down the line what is the potential for the value difference to mimic the ‘53?

Welcome 1LT! We are glad you joined us.

I sure understand that those who wants a 2020 will be disappointed emotionally if they can not get one, at least until they drive their 2021 C8. There were 300. 1953’s and there will be 25,000+ 2020’s. Consequently, there will be no collectibility or financial advantage to owning a 2020 C8 unless you have VIN 00001 or similar.

The 2021’s value could in fact be higher as it is one year newer. And as you well noted 1LT, there will be some 2021 advantages too.

Thanks for joining our Corvette community.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover, 5JR vis CF mirror caps, and VJR illuminated sill plates.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

I've been owning Corvettes and following the pricing trends since getting my first new one..... a '68 back in 1967. (That should be a hint!)

Other than 1953 and the SWC 1963's, new generation first year Corvettes generally don't hold their value like succeeding years. Witness 1968 vs 1969, 1984 vs 1985, 1997 vs 1998 and so on. The value proposition is strongly driven by condition and options. Rarity sometimes is a factor but in general, if it was rare because of the color combination or the options (or lack of options) the general consensus is 'few wanted it then, fewer will want it now'. Again there are exceptions, but they too are rare.

The bottom line is buy something that you will enjoy now. Don't worry about the value down the line. You likely won't live long enough to benefit from it, if there is any premium.

Comment

Yepl 1LT here too. I just sold a '62 I've owned for a long time, just so I could use the proceeds towards a 2020 mid-engine. Maybe it doesn't make sense to exchange a car that's appreciating for one that will not, but I really don't care. I've never had a brand new Vette, and I've followed the rumors and technology leaks surrounding a mid-engine version of the Vette for years. Well, finally, it's come to pass, and while I enjoyed the quirks and lack of technology the C1's had, I'm a driver, my wife, a passenger, and we decided it's time for the creature comforts we've grown used to in our daily cars, now in our specialty car. Long trips, short trips, cruising around town, we'll have the fun and and discovery of new horizons made possible. I ordered just four options, no Z51, no spoiler, no problem.

Comment

Plus there will be a ton of base models ILT’s in 2020. To each their own in selecting a 1LT. I’ve owned a few .The ILT’s are harder to sell in the used car market . The trade in value isn’t as good from past experience. Been there done that over the years. Now with the mid engine design and lack of rear vision certain items on the 2LT / 3LT will make driving the C8 a little more easier in traffic ...maybe . Blind spot mirrors and rear vision mirror camera. That’s only my opinion of course. I think all C8’s should require these features . By 2022 I think they have to.

The main reason you see very few 1LT orders accepted is because of the early restraints on 1LTs. You could not order a 1LT during the first 3 months. Then the strike and everything changed . So in December all restraints were lifted. But not many people changed their orders I suspect. So far Kerbeck 2/13 report shows 37 1LT at 3000 status.
          Last edited by MikeC8; 02-13-2020, 12:25 PM.
          RED ,C8. 2LT Z51.black wheels and trim. .... Order status 6000 car is home in garage
          .VIN.1906

Comment

As an owner of a 1953, let me add my 2 cent's worth. I am only the third owner; when the second owner purchased the 53' in 63' it was sold to him as a 54' because they were still in the "blue book" and the newer 54' car was worth more than the older 53'. Keep in mind older corvettes deprecated badly way back when and thus were not cared for as the new ones that came along. I bought my first corvette, a 1957 in 1966 for $900.00 my father went wild that I paid way too much for it. He said that, every time I bought one home. After I had 4 of them in the yard he just shook his head when I brought another one home. Soon he changed his rant to where in the Heck are you going to put them all, you can only drive one at a time. He relented and built a large barn/garage to start holding them all for me. Then in 1974 he bought himself a brand new one so he and my mother could go to Corvette functions with us in comfort, no big block roadster with side exhaust and no AC for him. By that time I had well over 20 Corvettes in various states of restoration/condition. This bring me to VIN # 1 of the 2020 Corvette run this is in my opinion the king, the only VIN that commands a big premium. I have owned Corvettes and other brands with a VIN of less than 10 you can add a premium but not double or triple the retail value of the car. With the 2020 a less than 100 VIN is just that, less than 100 sure you might get car sooner and if flipping it is your game then you can add a premium to someone who missed out and has to have one now, but a year or 2 down the road it will just be a 2020 Corvette.. THESE ARE My opinions only and do not reflect on others.
            Our C8 Arctic White, two tone interior black w/ red seats, 3LT...options--EYK, PIN, E60, ZZ3,VK3, ZYC, DTH, Q8Q, ERI, YF5, FE4, Z51, BV4

Comment

There are many variables, mostly dependent upon any changes for 2021 (and if GM sticks with those changes in succeeding years). That may determine whether you have a collectible. The ’53 is noted for its scarcity as much as anything else. Forthcoming changes might even turn your 2020 into a George Lazenby of Bond films.
              C8 Coupe, Zeus Bronze, 3LT, TU7, HUE, GUI, CF7, EFY, EYK, J6N, NPP, E60, STI, VQK

Comment

I wonder how many of the 2020's will be running 50 years from now. You can fabricate parts for the C1 to C3 to keep them on the road but what will happen when the electronics and computers on the new ones go bad. How will you replace them? What do you do when a C4's dash goes out?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	CEAC3D7E-444B-41AE-AE1F-019F2DFDCA32.jpeg
Views:	119
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	112467 Collector corvettes and muscle cars as appreciating assets ...?

What is the market for Model T’s today compared to 25 years ago ? Nobody buys them anymore. Take a guess what will happen to the 50’s cars in the next 10 years. Then the 60’s in the next 20 years so on and so forth. There are a ton of these cars sitting in these large consignment dealers all over the country. 20 years ago these large consignment dealers didn’t exist. These cars were in private garages at reasonable prices I might add. I owned my share over the years.
                  I had a 2005 Ford GT and made good money on that one. But I bought it during the financial collapse in 2009 way below sticker from a bankrupt Ford dealership. Today people are hoarding parts on those cars and nobody is producing them. Might be a nightmare to keep one running in the future.

I have been attending the same all makes once a month cruise for the past 20 years. I have seen that cruise go from 600 cars in 2001 on a good weather Saturday to 200 cars on a great weather Saturday today. It’s a constant 200 cars for the past 2 years now. People get old and loose their drivers license has happened to 3 of my older friends. You never see a model T at the cruise anymore.
                  Last edited by MikeC8; 02-13-2020, 01:28 PM.
                  RED ,C8. 2LT Z51.black wheels and trim. .... Order status 6000 car is home in garage
                  .VIN.1906

Comment

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
                    I wonder how many of the 2020's will be running 50 years from now. You can fabricate parts for the C1 to C3 to keep them on the road but what will happen when the electronics and computers on the new ones go bad. How will you replace them? What do you do when a C4's dash goes out?
                    In 50 years, I'll add there will be questions of where you can drive it (if automated roads / autonomous vehicles show up within 20 years) and possibly gasoline availability (if electrics become mainstream), although the car's range will help mitigate the issue of finding a fuel station.
                    Atomic Orange C6. Plenty of engine and suspension mods.

C8 HTC with Z51 FE4 coming fall 2020.

Comment

They’ll still be around.
                      You can always take it for one last drive!

​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTGeagS4HcU
                      Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....

Comment

Originally posted by Ragtop 99 View Post

In 50 years, I'll add there will be questions of where you can drive it (if automated roads / autonomous vehicles show up within 20 years) and possibly gasoline availability (if electrics become mainstream), although the car's range will help mitigate the issue of finding a fuel station.
                        Great points.

Comment

If your wanting a vehicle to appreciate way way down the road, purchase something with extremely low production numbers, high horsepower and low mileage. As far as the C8 goes I believe there may be record breaking production numbers and collectors who will stash them for future collector cars. That is the reason I loaded mine up so I could let others worry about future and I can drive the wheels off mine and thoroughly enjoy driving it.
                          Rocket City Florida

Comment

I will be very surprised If they manage to make 10,000 cars in the 2020 model year
                            Torch red 1LT, no options

Comment

Originally posted by WillRockwell View Post
                              I will be very surprised If they manage to make 10,000 cars in the 2020 model year
                              I think they will be close to 5,000 by the end of March. By the end of August they will be approaching 20K.
                              Last edited by DaveM; 02-13-2020, 05:11 PM.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X