MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Official C8 Owners Manual, Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

See more
See less

C8 Delivery Tracking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C8 Delivery Tracking

I remember tracking my C7 while it was in transit. Maybe someone with the proper information can post how this was done or if it will be available for the C8?
    Born Feb 26, 2020! GS7 Elkhart Lake Blue, Jet black/suede interior; Yellow stitching and belts. Z51 & Mag Ride; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6E yellow Calipers;

I think it was done somehow with OnStar.
    1966 coupe - Sunfire Yellow / Black
    2004 Z06 - Millennium Yellow / Black

NCM Lifetime Member since 2003

Comment

Correct. Your dealer must enable OnStar on the car, and then you can utilize OnStar Location Tracking on your iPhone.

You might be able to initiate yourself once you have your complete VIN.

I believe that the only downside from the Owner's perspective is that OnStar subscription starts the day you initiate it, so you will get limited use during shipment.

Also, there were some restrictions on how many times you can request location information and if the car goes some amount of time (3 weeks?) before starting the engine, OnStar in the vehicle could not be contacted.

This is based on C7 info. This could have changed for the C8s.

Comment

Well summarized Classic-Chevy-Guy. Until we know otherwise, my expectation is that we will have the same option for our C8’s. Account activation can be done by your dealer. For those who do not want to initiate OnStar on their C8, even those whose package gives it to them for free for a time period, insure your salesperson does not have/use your credit card and activate it.

I for one want to have OnStar and want it activated soonest. Cross country tracking of a Corvette is fun to me, though at C-C-G noted after a couple of days with the motor not being started, OnStar will go to sleep to not drain your car’s battery.

GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover, 5JR vis CF mirror caps, and VJR illuminated sill plates.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

So you can have your OnStar activated even though you haven’t purchased the car?
          Vin # 2539
          Torch Red LT2 Z51

Comment

Just to throw a wrench into the mix. I had thought the C8 Corvette was shipped with the battery set into shipping mode through the info system to conserve battery power. Don't know but could it effect if OnStar can be activated?
            Our C8 Arctic White, two tone interior black w/ red seats, 3LT...options--EYK, PIN, E60, ZZ3,VK3, ZYC, DTH, Q8Q, ERI, YF5, FE4, Z51, BV4

Comment

A Chevrolet salesman recently posted a YouTube video about his trip to the Bowling Green Assembly Plant. His goal was to locate the 2020 Corvette that he has on order.

In a previous video, he shared that he had activated the car’s OnStar system so he could use the MyChevrolet app to locate the car. In his latest video, he uses the app to flash the horn and lights in an effort to locate the car. He also calls one of his customers and asks him to do the same so he can attempt to locate the car his customer had ordered.

Later, the salesman asks the customer to do this again and the customer states that he had accidentally hit the app button that starts the engine on the first attempt, but now correctly activates the horns and lights feature. (On the app, there is also a button for both locking and unlocking the doors.)

While all of this was done in an attempt to have fun looking for a couple of ordered Corvettes, there are several reasons why doing this is not a good idea.
              1. Until you complete the paperwork and make payment for your ordered Corvette, the Corvette does not yet belong to you. Activating the OnStar system before you actually own the car is not how the OnStar system is intended to be used.
              2. When a new Corvette is built, there are a number of tests that activate a variety of electrical components (i.e. rolling windows up and down, etc.) when the car is not running. These inevitably place a drain on the battery. Using the MyChevrolet app to activate electrical components could create an undesirable low charge status on a car’s battery. (Keep in mind, when you “wake” the car, other electrical systems are also activated.)
              3. Only a minimum amount of fuel is put in each car near the end of the assembly process. If you accidentally started a car with the app and left it running, it could run out of fuel.
              4. Using the app to lock a Corvette could also create a very undesirable situation. Where do you think the keys to the Corvettes waiting to be shipped are kept? If the time for your ordered Corvette to be shipped arrives and it is found to be locked, the car would have to be set aside and shipping would be delayed.
              5. If a car is found to be low on fuel, or locked, or is seen or heard by plant personnel starting up, or with doors locking/unlocking, or with the horn and lights flashing, it would be suspected that the car has an issue. That car would be grounded until quality control could figure out the exact cause.
              6. And finally, if enough cases of unusual electrical behavior were discovered, the entire fleet of vehicles could be grounded until the cause could be determined with 100% certainty.

In the end, it might be fun to try this in an effort to locate the car you ordered, but it could potentially hinder the plant’s ability to get the car ready for shipping and could delay the delivery of that car as well as others. So, have a little patience and demonstrate a little restraint and wait until you take delivery of the car before you have OnStar activated.

Comment

Does anyone know the first part of the vin? I have my partial but when I log into the app I need the full 17 numbers

Comment

Originally posted by jagamajajaran View Post
                  A Chevrolet salesman recently posted a YouTube video about his trip to the Bowling Green Assembly Plant. His goal was to locate the 2020 Corvette that he has on order.

In a previous video, he shared that he had activated the car’s OnStar system so he could use the MyChevrolet app to locate the car. In his latest video, he uses the app to flash the horn and lights in an effort to locate the car. He also calls one of his customers and asks him to do the same so he can attempt to locate the car his customer had ordered.

Later, the salesman asks the customer to do this again and the customer states that he had accidentally hit the app button that starts the engine on the first attempt, but now correctly activates the horns and lights feature. (On the app, there is also a button for both locking and unlocking the doors.)

While all of this was done in an attempt to have fun looking for a couple of ordered Corvettes, there are several reasons why doing this is not a good idea.
                  1. Until you complete the paperwork and make payment for your ordered Corvette, the Corvette does not yet belong to you. Activating the OnStar system before you actually own the car is not how the OnStar system is intended to be used.
                  2. When a new Corvette is built, there are a number of tests that activate a variety of electrical components (i.e. rolling windows up and down, etc.) when the car is not running. These inevitably place a drain on the battery. Using the MyChevrolet app to activate electrical components could create an undesirable low charge status on a car’s battery. (Keep in mind, when you “wake” the car, other electrical systems are also activated.)
                  3. Only a minimum amount of fuel is put in each car near the end of the assembly process. If you accidentally started a car with the app and left it running, it could run out of fuel.
                  4. Using the app to lock a Corvette could also create a very undesirable situation. Where do you think the keys to the Corvettes waiting to be shipped are kept? If the time for your ordered Corvette to be shipped arrives and it is found to be locked, the car would have to be set aside and shipping would be delayed.
                  5. If a car is found to be low on fuel, or locked, or is seen or heard by plant personnel starting up, or with doors locking/unlocking, or with the horn and lights flashing, it would be suspected that the car has an issue. That car would be grounded until quality control could figure out the exact cause.
                  6. And finally, if enough cases of unusual electrical behavior were discovered, the entire fleet of vehicles could be grounded until the cause could be determined with 100% certainty.

In the end, it might be fun to try this in an effort to locate the car you ordered, but it could potentially hinder the plant’s ability to get the car ready for shipping and could delay the delivery of that car as well as others. So, have a little patience and demonstrate a little restraint and wait until you take delivery of the car before you have OnStar activated.
                  You make good valid points but I still plan to activate Onstar as I did for my Colorado.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X