MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Official C8 Owners Manual, Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

See more
See less

CoronaVirus Affecting C8 Production??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by USCANAM View Post
    From BBC online.

​​​​​​The number of coronavirus cases worldwide has overtaken that of the Sars epidemic, which spread to more than two dozen countries in 2003.

There were around 8,100 cases of Sars - severe acute respiratory syndrome - reported during the eight-month outbreak.

But nearly 10,000 cases of the new virus have been confirmed, most in China, since it emerged in December.

More than 100 cases have been reported outside China, in 22 countries.

The number of deaths so far stands at 213 - all in China. In total, 774 people were killed by Sars.
    .................................................. .....................,......................
    I believe this situation if far more important and serious than us just worrying about a delay in our cars being built, a factor that at this point in time is only arbitrary.

Hopefully China will allow other countries to assist in containing and controlling this new virus strain.
    And I've seen other estimates that put the # of deaths in China at > 600. We really can't trust the data coming from the government there. It's probably much worse than they're willing to admit. And there's been at least one death outside of China, confirmed, in the Philippines. A Chinese person from Wuhan.
    SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
    >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

I read today that the virus can be spread by infected people BEFORE they show any symptoms. The US CDC didn't believe this was possible, but apparently the Chinese warned us, and the German government verified it with one case of a lady who flew in from Shanghai after visiting her parents who were from Wuhan. She was only in Germany for one day but infected six of her co-workers. She never showed symptoms until she was back on the plane to China. Spooky.

WRT SARS vs. Wuhan Coronavirus, the former is more deadly - 9% kill rate vs about 2% for the new one, BUT the new one is much more contagious. (BTW, SARS is also a coronavirus). The death toll in China passed 800 yesterday. Hard to see how this does not become a global pandemic.

Most people are only moderately ill for 3-4 days, but some can get pretty sick - pneumonia being the big complication. Hopefully they'll have a vaccine in time.

Comment

Here's the site I use: https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Corona.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	111143
        Upcoming Vette:
        '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package 2000 Status on December 27, 2019, 3000 Status on January 2, 2020, 3400 Status on March 10, 2020, TPW of March 16, 2020

Current Vettes:
        '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
        '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
        '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

Jesus that is an ugly graph. They are going to need a lot more red ink before this one is over. My fear is that this could really tank the equity markets. EVERYBODY buys small parts from China - Hyundai has already had to shut two plants in S. Korea down for lack of parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Mobius View Post
            Great link!

In this case, yes I m really upset to have my C8, but people dies each day and I think, it s more important.

Comment

For some perspective, there were 10,000 flu deaths in the USA this season. China has roughly 4X the population of USA. I think CoV scare is overblown, but I suppose it's better to be safe than sorry.

https://www.livescience.com/new-coro...uPKMSc4PL-NEsc

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
                We really can't trust the data coming from the government there. It's probably much worse than they're willing to admit..
                Nothing against the people of China, but I would not trust anything coming from their government. And the supposed good news from them caused the US markets based on a smaller number of leading stocks to hit new highs last week.
                2020 Convertible, Torch Red, 2LT, NPP, Natural, GT1, E60, Q8Q, perpetual status 3000

Comment

Originally posted by TraxsterII View Post
                  For some perspective, there were 10,000 flu deaths in the USA this season. China has roughly 4X the population of USA. I think CoV scare is overblown, but I suppose it's better to be safe than sorry.

https://www.livescience.com/new-coro...uPKMSc4PL-NEsc
                  Americans (and probably people everywhere) are bad at judging risk. We panic about this virus, but millions fail to get vaccinated against the flu, and refuse to wear seatbelts, both of which will kill more people.But....

Most victims of the flu are elderly or children who didn't get vaccinated. Some 10 million Americans got the flu this year, and all but 10,000 survived. There is no vaccine for this strain of the Coronavirus, and it is striking and killing people in otherwise good health. As for 4X the population, so far China has done a pretty good job of quarantining the affected area, locking it down in a way that wouldn't be possible in the US, so the exposed population is probably smaller than those exposed to the flu here.

And there is some reason to believe that the Corona virus is more easily transmitted than the flu, and possibly has a higher death rate. It is spreading rapidly in hospitals in China, to both staff and patients who were not infected when they came in. One man who attended a conference in Singapore, then went to a ski slope in France, has apparently infected multiple others who were at the same ski resort.

There's no reason to panic, especially in America, but there is reason to avoid exposure to people who have travelled to places where they have potentially been exposed to the virus, and to quarantine them when they get to the US.
                  SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                  >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

I think we have sufficiently covered this non Corvette topic.
                    1966 coupe - Sunfire Yellow / Black
                    2004 Z06 - Millennium Yellow / Black

NCM Lifetime Member since 2003

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X