MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Official 7.18.19 Livestream Reveal URL Site! Tustin Reveal Site Updates & Weather. Watch The Reveal on Your TV Using A Windows Laptop

7.18.19 Official Livestream URL Site: https://media.chevrolet.com/nextgenCorvette

7.18.19 Tustin Updates and Weather: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...ather-forecast

Watch The Reveal On Your TV Using a Windows Laptop: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...windows-laptop
See more
See less

Learning About A DCT

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A DCT still has a torque converter, right?
    Not that I've seen
    Originally posted by TtiME View Post
    not typically. They usually use a wet or dry clutch. Performance based DCT usually are wet.
    Former GT-R owner here. The GR6 (transmission code) in the GT-R is a wet clutch set up (like a motorcycle). The transmission fluid also acts as the clutch fluid, Usually means 2 things:
    1. Lots of fluid is needed
    2. Relatively expensive fluid

It looks like the ZF DCT that is being rumoured is a wet clutch set up. If it's like most transaxles, it won't have a separate differential housing ("pumpkin") but the final drive will be internal to the transmission housing. It was called a "Drop gear" in the GT-R community. If anyone has concerns about holding power, they can be built. Personally driven a 1,000 awhp GT-R, and had a friend with a 1,700 awhp GT-R.

As far as driving dynamic, I did occasionally miss the third pedal with the GT-R. But, it is awesome pushing the car through it's paces, and having the perfect shift, every single time. Hate to break it to you, if you think you can shift as fast as a modern (key word) DCT, you can't.

Anywho, looking forward to see what DCT will be in the C8.

Comment

Just because it is a DCT does not mean it is a good DCT. Which is why I am hoping it is the ZF unit, not the Getrag. The Ford - Getrag DCT has been a source of trouble in the past.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_P...t_transmission

Comment

Is Porsche's PDK a variant of DCT?
        I saw this GT3 took off from the intersection, and every time he clicked to change gear, it sounded like a gun shot and the RPM didn't sound like it dropped at all. It sound very loud/hard and it pulled very fast. If the one in C8 shifts like that, hard not to smile.

Comment

Yes, in fact most feel that the Porsche’s PDk is either the best or with rare other company in the DCT world. They almost shift beyond lighting speed.
          Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. Our 2020 ME C8 Corvette is next.

Comment

The DCT in my M6 is awesome, shifting A Whole Lot faster than I ever could, either with the paddles or in a manual setup. 0-60 is...inspiring, and 0-120 is a hellofalotoffun. The M cars have three "shift modes" ranging from Cadillac soft to what-the-heck-was-that hard. I usually keep mine in the middle setting, but when I select that third level...wow. Also, the computer keeps me from doing something stupid, like downshifting from sixth to third...it actually waits for the car to slow down to the proper speed, then engages the gear I selected. That also means that there's no engine braking, but the brakes on this thing are so hella good that I really don't miss it once I got used to it. For someone like me who can no longer drive a manual due to left foot problems, the DCT is in no way a substandard option.

Can't wait to see what's in the C8!
            Last edited by Nitrobrother; 05-07-2019, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Thanks Nitrobrother. Good analysis/info.
              Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. Our 2020 ME C8 Corvette is next.

Comment

Lots of great information here, thanks to all for their contributions. :thumbsup:

Comment

Originally posted by FrankLP View Post
                  Great thread John... thanks! Very informational... I have a much better understanding of how the DCT works.

I have to say that I really liked DCT for Dummies. FileZilla UC Browser Rufus.. but being married to an Aussie might have something to do with that too!
                  ​For those many of us who have never owned a vehicle with one, let alone even driven one, we start off this thread with a history lesson on the DCT’s development, thanks to the September, 2018, Porsche magazine, “Pandrama.” Thank you for providing this article to us ”Fasttoys!”
                  Last edited by kailiyat; 06-04-2019, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Frenzy36 View Post
                    Here is the Lambo DCT Fast Shifts

Yep, that's a Lambo shift.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X