MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Official C8 Owners Manual, Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

See more
See less

1st year issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st year issues

So what is the general consensus that there will be little problem with the 1st year cars.

I am not concerned. If there is a small issue or two our warranties will cover it. I am going to enjoy driving mine. Then will drive it some more. Then going to drive it even more than that.

Comment

Most of the people on this forum are buying, or planning to buy, first year cars. So that should give you an idea of the answers you'll get.

I have a general rule of not buying a first year, new model. Especially with a car that is as completely new as the mid-engine Corvette. I don't anticipate major problems, but I think the risk is greater than with other model changes, so I'm waiting until year 2.
      SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
      >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

I have been burned by a few quality issues on new cars recently. My 2014 Regal GS had a major engine defect that resulted in it being replaced out of my own pocket. My 2017 Focus RS also had an engine issue that was made worse by the dealer. I ended up getting a lemon law settlement for that car.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about potential issues with the new Corvette. It is a clean sheet design and many of the major components like the DCT and entire electrical system are debuting on the 2020 C8.

That being said, the Corvette is not a hopped up family sedan or hot hatch. I have faith that this is one of the most extensively tested and researched cars to come from GM, and I don't think many compromises or short cuts were taken to reach performance goals.

What ever issues we encounter, I am sure GM will make it right.
        2020 Zeus Bronze (GUI), Natural Interior (HTN) 2LT Z51 Coupe

Additional Options: AH2, R8C, E60, 5DG, ZYC, FE4, VQK, TU7

Click here for a handy list of 2020 Corvette RPO Codes

Comment

Remember, as far as warranties go, there is a difference between things that break and need to be repaired, versus things that will be improved. Given the short 2020 model year, I don't think all the improvements will be made until the 2022 model year.

Comment

There are pros and cons in first year purchase as well as a second year purchase. I’m all in for first year to enjoy while car is so new and unique to Corvette. Other words, the pros outweigh the cons for a 2020 but just my thoughts.

Comment

I've never had the first of Anything. This car is so new, and so anticipated by all Americans, that I can't wait to be driving one of them. TPW March 30 and the delivery can't come fast enough.

Comment

What did you guys notice for the first years of the C7 and C6?
                TPW March 2. 3LT, Z51, FE4, Black GBA, ZZ3, Black interior with Red seats/red stitch HU0 & 2 tone TU7, E60, J6N, RIK, Q8Q, etc.
                Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Neil H View Post
                  I had one of the first C7's, vin #00007. It never saw the shop except for a few oil changes.

Comment

I’ve never had a new Corvette and have purchased each of my previous cars used. By the time I end up owning it, the issues are more related to the age and condition of the car. That said, I’m buying a first year C8. I believe GM has had ample time to get the engineering right and BG is doing the right things to get the manufacturing correct as well.
                    Last edited by LightningBolt; 01-18-2020, 07:41 AM.
                    TPW 2-Mar now 9-Mar

Comment

Gm has had so much extra time developing this car it cant possibly have a defect! Im kidding but if it has a few issues that need to be addressed its no big deal as thats what warranties are for.

GM is usually in my opinion pretty good with warranty issues...I believe over the past twenty years Ive been treated fairly.

we now have over the air updates which should save ti e as well.

i wouldnt recommend modding a first year car too much as its best to keep the warranty intact. JMO

if the car treats me well...ill leep it and ill buy an extended warranty gmepp...

if the car becomes a pain..lll trade it in and if its really impossible Ill lemon law it but I dont expect that kind of nonsense...

i gave long jard thought...2020 or 2021...i decided I wanted the car as a birthday present to myself at 60...

well thats past with all these delays etc...i wouldnt be heart broken if I ended up with a 2021...but prefer to get the c8 sooner..

just for the fun of it...

fwiw Ive bought other cars over the years as first year production and never had an issue...

i never bought a first year corvette but Ive bought other first year gm products and they were perfect.

i also picked up a new 2018 alfa stelvio ti sport supposedly rumored to be a troubled brand...18 months..not a stitch of a problem. Great vehicle.really fun to drive.

Dont worry about the c8 being a lemon...imo it wont be...if there are issues they fix it for free and if it annoys you...sell in the first 12 to 18 months and you will probably get most of your money back because supply will still mot have caught up with demand...

Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 1LT

Comment

My first Corvette. Not worried about first year issues. I trust GM did their homework on this. All the engineers seemed so passionate about creating a fantastic car. I must admit I was slightly concerned considering the strike but I’m impressed with the fact that they are going to hold a bunch of the first cars produced to double check quality.
                        2LT coupe, ELB, GT2, Sky Cool Gray, two-tone, front lift, body color accents, NPP, body color roof, black seat belts, Spectra Gray wheels, black calipers, battery protection.

Comment

I bought/owned a first year C6 (2005 Convertible) - many are familiar with the dreaded "DBS" (Dead Battery Syndrome) on those cars, especially with manual transmissions (which mine had). The electrical system would drain the battery when the car sat for a while (typically a week, but shorter and longer periods were reported). I had to press, but got a new battery under warranty. The funny part was that somebody published a software fix on one of the forums (before GM rolled out to the Dealerships, as I recall)....you could burn the fix to a blank CD, insert it in your CD player, push a few sequenced buttons and the software would upload to the car and fix the problem. I did it and it actually worked!

No other problems on the C6.

I also bought a first year C7 (2014 Convertible). No issues that I recall, although we watched it being built (Buyer's Tour) and it was a challenge at many of the assembly stations. It was also selected for the "enhanced QC monitoring" during build - it was the dead of Winter (basically exactly 6 years ago) and not many customers in the plant, so I'm sure they chose our car for our benefit.

But again, no issues.

So, after those experiences, (the only issue would today be "fixed" by an over the air update) - I'm pretty confident in the C8....

Comment

Year 2 of the C7 got the 8 speed auto, vs. a 6 speed. And IIRC the 2014s didn't offer PDR. There seemed to be some issues with the screen in the middle of the dash needing replacement on early cars, but not a really common problem.
                            SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                            >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

I had an early 2014 Z51 and a first-consensus Z06. Neither one ever had to go back to the dealer except for the free oil changes.

Really, this is a car that has had literally hundreds built, with many months of stress testing.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X