MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

FOLLOW THIS FORUM RULE!

All shall follow this forum rule:

“11. Do not post URL links to any product or service that is offered by a forum vendor. Exception: If the product or service you wish to link is one that you know is not offered by a forum supporting vendor, you may post that link. Examples of the latter could include tools, common products like duct/electrical tape, motor oil, and/or providers of specialized upgrade, maintenance or repair services.”

You may use a non forum business name, posting such as, “I buy at Joe’s” but again may not post a link to nor a URL of Joe’s.
See more
See less

Poll: Z51 or Non Z51?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Red Corvette View Post

I would say its more than slightly better:

Braking improved by 7% (60 to 0 by 108 vs 115 ft).
    Acceleration improved by 7% (0 to 60 by 0.2 s)
    Cornering improved by 3 to 5%.
    Spring rates up by ~ 25% (adds ride height adjustability).
    Downforce increased by 400 lbs IIRC (spoiler and splitter).

You also get:
    Improved brake and transmission cooling.
    Better corner exit and wet weather control with eLSD differential.
    MRC allows improved ride control in different conditions: wet, tour, sport, and race modes.
    Tuned exhaust with different modes.
    i hear what you are saying and in many ways I agree with you yet for fun lets look at some data.

the non z51 c8 with all season tires will top out at 194 mph versus the z51 which will top out at 184 mph. Thats a 10 mph improvement of the standard c8.

we can also look at the quarter mile elasped time and trap speed which I believe favors the standard stingray by 2 or 3 mph..

should the owner of a standard stingray decide to install michelin P4s tires i would actually expect cornering and braking to be so close the decimal points would be ringing.

everyone should feel good about their choices and I always prefer to respect those who prefer not to order z51 mrc for whatever reason.

the difference in performance is less than ten percent swing which is about the cost of z51 fe4 (minus the npp)

i believe with equal tires the differences would be even smaller with the exception of the standard c8 with regards to its 10 mph higher top speed and the couple of mph higher quarter mile trap speed.

by some mentioned metrics the standard c8 could be considered “the better performer” . Could with just a swap of tires even a more narrow gap.

thats leads me to suggest the added cooling capacity and other durability under hard street or track use as a major component of what is actually i,proved on the z51 package.

Please do not misinterpret my statements to the point where I dont believe z51 fe4 is a personally preferred option in fact for ME its the most preferred option.

that said for those guys who for whatever reason want to order. I can certainly understand their choices.

everybody wins with the c8 as its such a versatile machine.

wait for the c8 grand sport and z06 rolls out. All of us c8 standard stingray and z51 owners will be looked down upon...(kidding)

The differences of any of these options or upcoming models isnt so great that all these corvettes arent considered fantastic...

and yes Im a biased corvette fanatic enjoying seeing all the various generations and models ..

we are all just having fun discussing these variations and personal preferences.

Comment

don't wanna just say zero to 60 in 3 seconds; I wanna say in LESS than 3 seconds. oh, and the heavy duty cooling stuff, too.

Comment

Yes, tracking the car

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post

i hear what you are saying and in many ways I agree with you yet for fun lets look at some data.

the non z51 c8 with all season tires will top out at 194 mph versus the z51 which will top out at 184 mph. Thats a 10 mph improvement of the standard c8.

we can also look at the quarter mile elasped time and trap speed which I believe favors the standard stingray by 2 or 3 mph..

should the owner of a standard stingray decide to install michelin P4s tires i would actually expect cornering and braking to be so close the decimal points would be ringing.

everyone should feel good about their choices and I always prefer to respect those who prefer not to order z51 mrc for whatever reason.

the difference in performance is less than ten percent swing which is about the cost of z51 fe4 (minus the npp)

i believe with equal tires the differences would be even smaller with the exception of the standard c8 with regards to its 10 mph higher top speed and the couple of mph higher quarter mile trap speed.

by some mentioned metrics the standard c8 could be considered “the better performer” . Could with just a swap of tires even a more narrow gap.

thats leads me to suggest the added cooling capacity and other durability under hard street or track use as a major component of what is actually i,proved on the z51 package.

Please do not misinterpret my statements to the point where I dont believe z51 fe4 is a personally preferred option in fact for ME its the most preferred option.

that said for those guys who for whatever reason want to order. I can certainly understand their choices.

everybody wins with the c8 as its such a versatile machine.

wait for the c8 grand sport and z06 rolls out. All of us c8 standard stingray and z51 owners will be looked down upon...(kidding)

The differences of any of these options or upcoming models isnt so great that all these corvettes arent considered fantastic...

and yes Im a biased corvette fanatic enjoying seeing all the various generations and models ..

we are all just having fun discussing these variations and personal preferences.

JB...you're so good at bringing both sides of an issue together, I think you should run for political office.
          '64 Silver Grey Coupe (custom paint)- still our favorite
          '77 Black L82 / 4SPD
          '78 Silver Anniversary L82 / 4SPD
          '13 White/Blue Diamond 427 60th roadster - favorite late model
          '14 Black Z51 Coupe
          '15 Shark Grey Z51 Coupe
          '20 ... Zeus Bronze Coupe, 2LT, GT2 seats, Natural two tone, Body color accents, Pewter wheels

Ordered 7/28/19 / 2000 3/12 / 3000 3/16 / 3300 9/2

Comment

Originally posted by WillRockwell View Post

That gearing should give the base (Cinderella) model an advantage somewhere in the power curve, maybe at passing speeds?.
            One of the reasons the 0-60 time of the base model is so close to the Z51 is because the lower gearing forces the Z51 to make an extra shift (into 3rd) just before 60 mph. The base gets there with one shift. So I'd imagine there are circumstances (30-60? 40-70? Merging onto a freeway?) where the base model will have a slight advantage. But I think the differences between the two models, in almost any scenario, will be so small you won't feel it on the street. Unless you're at seriously extra legal speeds, when the downforce of the Z51 will hinder its straight line speed, but improve its cornering speed.
            SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
            >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by JimCinSC View Post
              don't wanna just say zero to 60 in 3 seconds; I wanna say in LESS than 3 seconds. oh, and the heavy duty cooling stuff, too.
              exactly !!!!!

​​​​​​​I am really bad at not leaving anything stock. With all the uncertainties surrounding the C8 Z06 and what it might or might not be, I wanted a platform to build on that would support the changes I will make to the C8 if I don't purchase a C8 Z06 when they are released. I still think the 5k buy in is a great deal for anyone interested in what even half of these features will add. The lower final gear ratio is a major plus for me...I like quick vs. fast....well, I like both...going fast quickly is the best !!

Comment

I know the Z51 tires are rated down to 40 degrees. How low are the all season tires rated temperature wise?

Comment

Unlike their high performance summer tires, Michelin does not temperature rate their all season tires.

Originally posted by Michelin
                  All-season tires are designed to be driven year-round, but if you live in an area with severe winter conditions (heavy snow or ice), they may not be sufficient. All-season tires are designed to perform well in a large range of conditions, but not to handle the worst.
                  Intersting that they do not include temperature as part of their “severe winter condition concerns.”
                  GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by VicH View Post
                    I know the Z51 tires are rated down to 40 degrees. How low are the all season tires rated temperature wise?
                    I've driven the all season tires that I use on my C7 in the winter at temps down to 12 degrees F. No issues. But even they get real hard at those temps, so drive east until they warm up.

Edit: that should say "drive easy." I don't think it matters which direction you go.
                    Last edited by meyerweb; 01-26-2020, 02:31 PM.
                    SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                    >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Thanks, fellas. Should be good for late February/early March driving, methinks.

Comment

Originally posted by VicH View Post
                        Thanks, fellas. Should be good for late February/early March driving, methinks.
                        No problem! I drive my C7 with Michelin A/S 3+ ‘s March thru November in Wisconsin with morning temps in single digits sometimes. They have been problem free. Even handled great going over the summit at 10,000 ft. in a whiteout thunder snow storm last Spring in Colorado.

Comment

Z51 all the way!!

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X