Official C8 Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

Coupe/HTC Build & Price: https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...d-price/config
GM’s C8 Info Site: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette
C8 Order Guide 12/12: https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NA...=21905&type=0#
Visualize Your C8:https://visualizer.chevrolet.com/ui?...US&channel=b2c
Also please look at our stickies in each of the four major C8 sections
2 of 2 < >

MECF TEMPORARY MAINTENANCE SHUT DOWN

STARTING 4:00 PM (PST), Monday, January 6th: Heads Up Please of Scheduled Maintenance!!!! Unlike past notices when our software company said MECF would be shut down less than one hour, they have said that our forum COULD have a two hour shut down. Thank you very much for your understanding.
See more
See less

Poll: Z51 or Non Z51?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z51/FE4 Is a must. Great bang for the buck. I enjoy MSRC in my Caddy so must have it in the Vette.
    Rocket City Florida

Comment

Originally posted by Neil H View Post

The final drive ratio is the same in the Z51 and the non-Z51. The final drives have the same ring gears and pinion gears. What is different is the transfer gear ratio
      True. But the net effect is the same. The difference affects all gears, not just the low ones.
      SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
      >35,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Non Z51 for us, would have liked to get just so I could get the MRC, but that’s a pricey option just to get MRC. Also wanted the HTC, but weren’t going to get HTC and Z51. So the HTC won out with common sense, we will not track the car and the HTC will get used way more and I like the looks of the HTC with top down!! It will be wearing some nice wheels shortly after we take delivery 😎

Comment

Originally posted by MidLife View Post
          Non Z51 for us, would have liked to get just so I could get the MRC, but that’s a pricey option just to get MRC. Also wanted the HTC, but weren’t going to get HTC and Z51. So the HTC won out with common sense, we will not track the car and the HTC will get used way more and I like the looks of the HTC with top down!! It will be wearing some nice wheels shortly after we take delivery 😎
          This is the same dilemma I thought through.... I decided to go Z51 and MRC because I live in a rainforest and didn’t think I’d get the top down often enough to make it worth while.

It it really would’ve been nice to throw the whole checkbook at a C8, but then I realized I had and still wanted to add stuff!!!

kdlp
          2LT - Z51 - FE4 - Arctic White/2 Tone Red & Black - R8C - E60 - 5Zu -

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

True. But the net effect is the same. The difference affects all gears, not just the low ones.

Exactly, Reverse as well.

TPW March 2. 3LT, Z51, FE4, Black GBA, ZZ3, Black interior with Red seats/red stitch HU0 & 2 tone TU7, E60, J6N, RIK, Q8Q, etc.
            Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada

Comment

To Z or not to Z...that is the question...

z51 that is....

just imagine a few extra percent slightly more sporty and heavy duty for slightly better cooling, accelerating, handling and braking ...

its like a slightly more dedicated weapon or tool..

its about an extra 10 percent cost including fe4 give or tale a tiny amount and the track durability goes up a little bit with the transmission cooler in the lassenger side cove....the stiffer single block caliber brakes, the slightly better rear differential and gearing...

is all that worth 10 percent higher cost? I believe its more ideological than tuned performance...

this rear mid engine sports car corners so well every model has a dry sump oil system allowing for lower placement of the engine for better performance....

i really see Z51 as a heavy duty package for slightly higher durability in rough conditions.

i believe and its a personal belief unfounded by fact..,that the added durability and slight increase in performance has value to me and how I use my vehicles even on the street.

I could be wrong for sure but since its my money to spend ...Ill spend it how I like.

so to answer the question...TO Z OR NOT TO Z......THE ANSWER FOR ME AND SOME OTHERS ON THIS CORVETTE ENTHUSIAST FORUM IS YES...

With all that said for this generation IMHO the differences are less compelling than ever...

z51 should have had wider front wheels and tires as part of the z51 option but thats for another thread.
              Last edited by JB; 01-15-2020, 04:40 PM.
              Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 2LT or 1LT depending on when i get the call..Ill flip a coin at that moment..same for E60

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

That gearing should give the base (Cinderella) model an advantage somewhere in the power curve, maybe at passing speeds?.
                Torch red 1LT, no options

Comment

My 2016 3LT stingray doesn't have it and it is fast and handles fine . I don't care about a second or two as I don't take it on the track. In Jersey and Summer Time tires wear to fast so switched to All Season. Spent money on other options. So that's why I Opted out on the Z51 package.

Comment

For me I go by the old adage:

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Comment

Originally posted by WillRockwell View Post
                      That gearing should give the base (Cinderella) model an advantage somewhere in the power curve, maybe at passing speeds?.
                      Keep in mind the difference is about 5%, so it is rather small as gearing changes going. You can compare the speed in gears for the 2 models here:
                      https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...speed-in-gears

Back to the question. In theory, you can pick exact speeds where the Z51 would have to upshift while the Non-Z51 could still hold the lower gear and be at the top of the HP curve. In practicality on the street, the answer is no. On the street, if you paddle down to 1st or 2nd gear to the powerband and simply floor it under anything less than perfect road and temperature conditions, my exception is car is going to break the wheels loose, even with the mid-engine weight over the back. So, both cars are going to roll into the throttle to maintain traction and control. I don't think there are any realistic examples using 1st or 2nd gear of where the non-Z51 gears will have an advantage that's usable on the street.

In 3rd gear I can make an example, but keep in mind at faster speeds, the car is going to pull hard from 4000 rpm and up such that you'll long be past the car you overtake before most differences in gearing will show up. On the street, if I were passing some starting at 70 mph, in the non-Z51, I might use 3rd, whereas in the Z51 I probably would just use 4th. Given the car's TQ, If I judge the safety factor of the pass is insufficient using the Z51s 4th gear and starting at 4,000 rpm, then I would probably not make the pass, rather than downshift to 3rd. That's just too close for safety at that speed. I typically don't downshift on the street if the shift is going to land about 1,000 rpm or less from redline. Driving styles vary and others might drive more aggressively. In sport or track mode, the car may in fact make that downshift. On the track, I'd probably make the downshift.

Atomic Orange C6. Plenty of engine and suspension mods.

C8 HTC with Z51 FE4 coming summer/fall 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                        To Z or not to Z...that is the question...
                        z51 that is....
                        just imagine a few extra percent slightly more sporty and heavy duty for slightly better cooling, accelerating, handling and braking ...

its like a slightly more dedicated weapon or tool..

its about an extra 10 percent cost including fe4 give or tale a tiny amount and the track durability goes up a little bit with the transmission cooler in the lassenger side cove....the stiffer single block caliber brakes, the slightly better rear differential and gearing...is all that worth 10 percent higher cost? I believe its more ideological than tuned performance...
                        I would say its more than slightly better:

Braking improved by 7% (60 to 0 by 108 vs 115 ft).
                        Acceleration improved by 7% (0 to 60 by 0.2 s)
                        Cornering improved by 3 to 5%.
                        Spring rates up by ~ 25% (adds ride height adjustability).
                        Downforce increased by 400 lbs IIRC (spoiler and splitter).

You also get:
                        Improved brake and transmission cooling.
                        Better corner exit and wet weather control with eLSD differential.
                        MRC allows improved ride control in different conditions: wet, tour, sport, and race modes.
                        Tuned exhaust with different modes.
                        Last edited by Red Corvette; 01-15-2020, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Z51 and MSRC for me.

Why? Well, for starters I've never had that sort of thing before so I'd like to try it out and see what difference it makes. Second, my current C6 only has the base suspension and there have been times during intense recreational activities (<--see avatar) when I wished it was more tightly controlled. Finally, this is my dream car so it's getting loaded up.

Comment

Z51 for the great value it is and more importantly to me it allowed the FE4 Mag ride option to be added.
                            Everyone’s situation is different but for me the final price was not the first consideration.
                            2014 Stingray Laguna Blue “Cindyblue”
                            2000 status 😊👍
                            2020 C8 Stingray; 3LT ; GS7 Elkhart Lake Blue ; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51;FE4 Mag Ride; C2Q dual roof ; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; RCC; J6E yellow Calipers; VQK Splash Guards; R8C

Comment

Originally posted by Njfisherman View Post
                              My 2016 3LT stingray doesn't have it and it is fast and handles fine . I don't care about a second or two as I don't take it on the track. In Jersey and Summer Time tires wear to fast so switched to All Season. Spent money on other options. So that's why I Opted out on the Z51 package.
                              exactly ....chocolate or vanilla....My 20014 3LT Stingray doesn’t have it and it is fast and handles fine. My 2020 3LT Stingray will have it and it’s faster and handles better...... choice ....there are NO lesser C8’s just different ones that only have to satisfy the one who writes the check...... jmhofwiw

This C8 is a masterpiece be it base or beast....it’s ALL GOOD!,
                              Last edited by V1 VR; 01-15-2020, 11:15 AM.
                              2014 Stingray Laguna Blue “Cindyblue”
                              2000 status 😊👍
                              2020 C8 Stingray; 3LT ; GS7 Elkhart Lake Blue ; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51;FE4 Mag Ride; C2Q dual roof ; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; RCC; J6E yellow Calipers; VQK Splash Guards; R8C

Comment

My second and likely my last Corvette. First had Mag Ride and I liked it. Also felt like Z51 is a good value considering whats included.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X