MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 3 < >

Corvette Today Podcast IS On Now With CorvetteBlogger and Steve Garrett

Steve Garrett and CorvetteBlogger Keith Cornett examine “Corvette Headlines & News” for mid-September 2020. https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...rftb Included in this episode are: The Corvette Visualizer for 2021 is now online; The National Corvette Museum raffles off the 1.75 millionth Corvette; Electric, all-wheel drive Corvette possibly coming out in 2023;Country Music star George Jones’ Corvette gets donated to the NCM;.....and more!Stay current on what's going on in the world of Corvette with this episode of CORVETTE TODAY!
2 of 3 < >

FOLLOW THIS FORUM RULE!

All shall follow this forum rule:

“11. Do not post URL links to any product or service that is offered by a forum vendor. Exception: If the product or service you wish to link is one that you know is not offered by a forum supporting vendor, you may post that link. Examples of the latter could include tools, common products like duct/electrical tape, motor oil, and/or providers of specialized upgrade, maintenance or repair services.”

You may use a non forum business name, posting such as, “I buy at Joe’s” but again may not post a link to nor a URL of Joe’s.
See more
See less

Poll: Z51 or Non Z51?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All of the reviews I've read commented on the just how refined and luxurious the ride quality is in Tour mode with MSRC.

The base suspension C8 ride is supposedly a little firmer than C7.

Give me the most tech that you can fit in this C8. Electrical > mechanical for LSD. Bigger brakes to save my butt. Win win win.

Comment

I voted no. Why? It's a street car, and I'll never come close to the limits of the C8 on the street, with or without Z51.

(Other reasons: it looks better without the wing. The A/S tires suit street usage better for my car, which will get driven all year - I'd have to spend even more for a second set of wheels if I get Z51. By all accounts, the ride of the C8 is even better than the C7, with or without MSRC. The money I save I can spend on taking trips in my car.)
      SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
      >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by Accelerate C8 View Post
        There are three things I do to every car I buy. Exhaust, lowered suspension and wheels. Z51 gives me 2 out of the three right from the factory.
        Just for the sake of accuracy: the exhaust is available without Z51, and the same wheels are standard & available on every C8, Z51 or not.

Originally posted by purple pearl 98 View Post
        Hate the rear spoiler and the loss of ride height because of the front splitter, but need those 4th generation MRC shocks, the extra cooling, and electronic dif, lower first and 2nd gears, along with the included NPP exhaust.
        Gearing is lower in all gears, not just first and second. It's the final drive ratio that changes, not the DCT.

Originally posted by jackc8 View Post
        The way I see it, there's no point of getting a performance car without all the basic stuff that makes it a performance car; specifically, the Z51 package with the MRC option.
        Sorry, but I just have to say "What?" The base C8 will out perform and out handle almost any car on the road. It is a top notch performance car no matter how you order it.
        Last edited by meyerweb; 01-14-2020, 12:21 PM.
        SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
        >36,000 miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

Originally posted by jackfrostpdx View Post
          All of the reviews I've read commented on the just how refined and luxurious the ride quality is in Tour mode with MSRC.

The base suspension C8 ride is supposedly a little firmer than C7.

Give me the most tech that you can fit in this C8. Electrical > mechanical for LSD. Bigger brakes to save my butt. Win win win.
          There's a post on the forum that quotes Harlan as saying the base model rides better than the Z51 / MSRC in Tour.

Purchased 5/2/2015,
          >36,000 miles

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post

Say what?! You'd do it because according to the two lead engineers that designed it (Tadge and Ed) you don't ever need it for street driving...spirited or other wise. The base C8 "handles better than the C7 Z51". If you need it you're way beyond any reasonable street driving. You'd do it because you've had it on C7's and found it to be of little value for street driving. You'd do it because you consider the spoiler and front splitter to be a deal breaker from a design and clearance standpoint. You'd do it because, IMO, for a beautiful grand touring car, you're better off without it.

Not trying to offend anyone, and for those who feel differently, great, enjoy your choices. But, "a truck without 4 wheel drive"... or "why would you do it"...that's just not accurate.
            To each his own. No offense taken. I live in Texas, in the country, have a farm, hunting lease, etc. It makes no sense for me to own a truck without 4x4. I also don't think it makes sense to buy a sportscar without all of the attributes that make it a sports car. If anyone feels differently good for them, I could care less what other people buy for themselves. They need to make themselves happy. For me the Z51/FE4 is a must.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

Just for the sake of accuracy: the exhaust is available without Z51, and the same wheels are standard & available on every C8, Z51 or not.

Gearing is lower in all gears, not just first and second. It's the final drive ratio that changes, not the DCT.

Sorry, but I just have to say "What?" The base C8 will out perform and out handle almost any car on the road. It is a top notch performance car no matter how you order it.
              Agree that the base car is an outstanding performance car in its base configuration, but it is a better performance car with Z51/FE4 and for $5,000.00, the additional performance options are a bargain.

Comment

There's a post on the forum that quotes Harlan as saying the base model rides better than the Z51 / MSRC in Tour.
                I'd like the see that full quote in context.

I could easily believe that the ride is softer but when I'm going over the train tracks or when I'm on imperfect back roads I'll put my money on the latest generation of magnetic dampers for a "better" ride.

Comment

To each is own I say. I have had both. Did not get the Z51 package on my C8 because I have no intentions of putting it on a track.I'm not sure if the $5000 extra will make a significant difference when it comes time to trade-in or outright private sale. I think it is similar to adding all the "stuff" to a Harley. You just don't recover all that$$.

Comment

non Z51.

Reasons:

1. Cost benefit for reasons below
                    i.. Want all season tires for up north - z51 would mean another set of tires (summer is about 13 days long where I am);
                    ii. Need the ground clearance for up north;
                    iii. Don't like the z51 spoiler;
                    iv. I will not track it so do not need the track focused upgrades(closest track is literally about 500 miles away); and
                    v. Cost - I put my $$ into the 2LT as those are more practical and regularly usable added pieces of kit
                    2. Concessions that I made
                    i. Ordered the high wing and performance exhaust
                    Last edited by Happy2bHere; 01-14-2020, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Non Z51 with NPP and 2lt. Just like my C7. No regrets.

Comment

I'll be tracking moderately, so Z51 is a must.

Comment

Yes Z51 or might even wait for the Z06 variant. Have a C7 Z51 and like all the perks that come with that package.

Comment

I should have been more clear. My second feature wasnt the wheels it was the ability to lower the suspension amlost 2 inches with the Z51 package and yes you are correct about the NPP. Forgot you could get it without Z51.

Comment

Z51 on mine, I won't track the car but will utilize most of the features included in this option. larger brakes, additional cooling, ELS diff, and lower gearing are all upgrades I will see benefit in and with the cost of the NPP as a stand alone, it makes all the other items a bargain for me.

Comment

The final drive ratio is the same in the Z51 and the non-Z51. The final drives have the same ring gears and pinion gears. What is different is the transfer gear ratio
                                TPW March 2. 3LT, Z51, FE4, Black GBA, ZZ3, Black interior with Red seats/red stitch HU0 & 2 tone TU7, E60, J6N, RIK, Q8Q, etc.
                                Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X