MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Official C8 Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

Coupe/HTC Build & Price: https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...d-price/config
GM’s C8 Info Site: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette
C8 Order Guide REVISED 2/14: https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NA...D=21905&type=0
Visualize Your C8:https://visualizer.chevrolet.com/ui?...US&channel=b2c
Also please look at our stickies in each of the four major C8 sections
See more
See less

Poll: Z51 or Non Z51?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DavidM View Post
    Z51, have to have it. Buying a Corvette without the Z51 package is like buying a truck without 4 wheel drive...why would you do it? You may not need it often but when you need you need it.
    Say what?! You'd do it because according to the two lead engineers that designed it (Tadge and Ed) you don't ever need it for street driving...spirited or other wise. The base C8 "handles better than the C7 Z51". If you need it you're way beyond any reasonable street driving. You'd do it because you've had it on C7's and found it to be of little value for street driving. You'd do it because you consider the spoiler and front splitter to be a deal breaker from a design and clearance standpoint. You'd do it because, IMO, for a beautiful grand touring car, you're better off without it.

Not trying to offend anyone, and for those who feel differently, great, enjoy your choices. But, "a truck without 4 wheel drive"... or "why would you do it"...that's just not accurate.

Recently sold:
    Shark Grey '15 Z51 Coupe : White / Blue Diamond '13 427 60th roadster ( really miss the 'stripe delete' 427 )

Status 1100 - 7th Corvette... Zeus Bronze Coupe, 2LT, GT2 seats, Natural two tone, Body color accents, Pewter wheels

Comment

Hate the rear spoiler and the loss of ride height because of the front splitter, but need those 4th generation MRC shocks, the extra cooling, and electronic dif, lower first and 2nd gears, along with the included NPP exhaust.

Comment

I prefer all the bells and whistles.
        New C8: GDO yellow, DTH CF Racing stripes, Q8Q CF wheels, Z51, J6E yellow calipers, E60 Front end lift, ZZ3 engine appearance pkg, FE4 mag ride, EYK chrome badges, FA5 C Fiber interior trim, AH2 GT2 seats, 3M9 yellow seat belts, HZN Natural Dipped Interior.

Comment

I got the performance exhaust, but do not plan on taking it on a track so no need for the Z51 package. Also not in love with the summer tires in case I want to take the care up north. And on the vert, the standard spoiler looks best. The good thing is the variety, especially when everyone can get what they want.

Comment

The way I see it, there's no point of getting a performance car without all the basic stuff that makes it a performance car; specifically, the Z51 package with the MRC option.

Comment

The cost of the Z51 is not what you pay for it, it's the difference between what you pay and the extra you get on your trade in (assuming you don't keep the car forever...). When viewed through those glasses, and the ability to add magnetic ride....well worth it for me.....

Comment

Originally posted by jackc8 View Post
                The way I see it, there's no point of getting a performance car without all the basic stuff that makes it a performance car; specifically, the Z51 package with the MRC option.
                I agree. Also, the Z51 spoiler looks SO much better than either no spoiler or the high wing. It just blends in so well with the design and look of the car -- it just belongs. All the other Z51 features work together with all the changes for 2020 to raise this car to iconic level and define what the 2020 C8 is and will be remembered for.
                TPW March 2. 3LT, Z51, FE4, Black GBA, ZZ3, Black interior with Red seats/red stitch HU0 & 2 tone TU7, E60, J6N, RIK, Q8Q, etc.
                Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada

Comment

Getting the 'vert' with lots of options..... Not into aftermarket stuff so it will be relatively loaded from the factory. We consider ourselves very fortunate to be in a position where we really don't have to deal with compromises.

Comment

I want the full capability of the car with the mag shocks, so it is Z51 and FE4. On the street I will not use it all of the capability, but will feel more confident with the mag shocks when dealing with crappy pavement. I look forward to having Z mode and to controlling the ride/handling trade-off depending upon my mood.

Originally posted by purple pearl 98 View Post
                    Hate the rear spoiler and the loss of ride height because of the front splitter, but need those 4th generation MRC shocks, the extra cooling, and electronic dif, lower first and 2nd gears, along with the included NPP exhaust.
                    I have not seen anything that shows any difference in transmission ratios. All Z51 gears are effectively shorter due to the Z51's higher transfer gear ratio (1.46 v 1.38) resulting in a 5.2 versus 4.9 final drive ratio (3.55 ring & pinion).

Atomic Orange C6. Plenty of engine and suspension mods.

C8 HTC with Z51 FE4 coming fall 2020.

Comment

I ordered the Z51 and FE4 because I do plan to take it to the track a few times a year. Given that, the cost of the two packages are a relatively good value in the mid engine sports car world.
                      2020 Torch Red 2LT Z51 FE4 - Status 3000 - Current TPW 3/30

Comment

Originally posted by Ragtop 99 View Post
                        I want the full capability of the car with the mag shocks, so it is Z51 and FE4. On the street I will not use it all of the capability, but will feel more confident with the mag shocks when dealing with crappy pavement. I look forward to having Z mode and to controlling the ride/handling trade-off depending upon my mood.

I have not seen anything that shows any difference in transmission ratios. All Z51 gears are effectively shorter due to the Z51's higher transfer gear ratio (1.46 v 1.38) resulting in a 5.2 versus 4.9 final drive ratio (3.55 ring & pinion).
                        You are right. Just to clear things up a bit more, with respect to the path of power through the DCT, the transfer gears come after all the manual transmission gearing and before the pinion gear in the final drive. So the overall ratios (in all 8 gears and reverse) are lower-speeded in the Z51 due to the lower-speeded transfer gear ratio.
                        TPW March 2. 3LT, Z51, FE4, Black GBA, ZZ3, Black interior with Red seats/red stitch HU0 & 2 tone TU7, E60, J6N, RIK, Q8Q, etc.
                        Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada

Comment

Z51 with MSRC. I don't track my cars but this is the ultimate combination for a grand touring ride with the ability to tackle twisty roads with composure.
                          On Deposit: 2020 C8 Stingray Convertible - Torch Red - Natural Dipped 3LT - Z51 w/MSRC - Front Lift

Comment

I was torn but thought the non-Z51 was the best compromise for me personally and placed my order without the Z51 but included the NPP exhaust option.

I do like the Z51 add-ons such as the upgraded front and rear spoilers, bigger brakes, performance gearing in rearend, and the exhaust. However, I'll never 'track' the car so I don't need the stiffer suspension, E-diff, or the additional cooling radiators. I'm buying the non-Z51 withe the upgraded exhaust because 99% of the time I'll be either daily driving the car in a spirited fashion, going on occasional road trips with the wife, or enjoying mashing the 'go' pedal from time-to-time at the stoplight to dust the other lesser rides.

One thing I read in various articles was that the Z51 without the mag ride is very stiff. I didn't want to pay $5k for the Z51 and then feel the need to buy the ~$2k for the MRC upgrade to make the car feel more livable during city driving. The FE1 (base) suspension is supposedly calibrated stiffer than the the old C7 base model but is still slightly softer than my old C7 with the MRC in 'sport mode'. The FE1 should be a nice compromise between road trips and when I feel like being more aggressive in the corners around town.

Honestly, I'm not entirely happy about having to decide between the two packages. My last two vettes (C6 and C7) were Z51-optioned so I was really torn. However, an additional $7k is a lot of money for me. I have a good paying job but buying a new Corvette definitely isn't cheap.
                            Last edited by gorilla1969; 01-14-2020, 04:28 PM.

Comment

There are waaaaay to many accolades for the versatility of the Mag Ride and until GM offers it stand alone, the Z51 becomes a necessity. The after-market is very good at emulating the factory so it will be interesting to see what suspension packages (after-market Mag Ride?) might pop up in the years (months?) ahead. But the BIG picture dictates (for me) that the GM originality, exhaust, Mag Ride and cosmetics (even though I'm not "in love" with either of the rear spoilers) make the Z51 package too good to ignore.

My .02...

kdlp
                              2LT - Z51 - FE4 - Arctic White/2 Tone Red & Black - R8C - E60 - 5Zu -

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post

Say what?! You'd do it because according to the two lead engineers that designed it (Tadge and Ed) you don't ever need it for street driving...spirited or other wise. The base C8 "handles better than the C7 Z51". If you need it you're way beyond any reasonable street driving. You'd do it because you've had it on C7's and found it to be of little value for street driving. You'd do it because you consider the spoiler and front splitter to be a deal breaker from a design and clearance standpoint. You'd do it because, IMO, for a beautiful grand touring car, you're better off without it.

Not trying to offend anyone, and for those who feel differently, great, enjoy your choices. But, "a truck without 4 wheel drive"... or "why would you do it"...that's just not accurate.
                                I've seen it posted before where Tadge said that it isn't needed for the street but I think this is being taken out of context. Saying is isn't needed isn't the same as saying it doesn't have benefit. There a lot of options that aren't needed but that doesn't mean it doesn't make it better for the user depending on his circumstances. I'd bet if you asked Tadge if 2LT trim is needed he'd say no. Doesn't mean it doesn't have value. This is the first time I've seen "You don't ever need it for street driving...spirited or other wise. The base C8 "handles better than the C7 Z51"". Do you have a link to a source of this statement?

You don't have to be driving on the ragged edge to realize the benefits of the Z51 package. The April 2014 issue of Corvette Magazine did a back-to-back-to-back comparison of a C7 base Stingray, Z51 and Z51 w/MSRC. There is no reason to think the C8 results won't be similar. This comparison was done on mountain roads outside of Palm Springs so it is relevant in a non-track environment. Some highlights as follows:

Base Stingray

...the base suspension (referred to internally as FE1) isn’t a particularly soft-riding car. It’s not unduly firm in terms of overall ride quality, but rather than absorbing sharp bumps, the car passes a lot of them along to the driver, particularly at around-town speeds.

Even with the base suspension, the C7 is a still 1-g car. Quick turn-in? Check. Seemingly endless grip? Yep. Massively powerful brakes? Oh, yeah. Stupendous power on demand? You know it.

Interestingly, the FE1 Stingray works better the harder we push it. To our hands and butts, the car doesn’t feel entirely happy to be driven merely briskly. Driving at a six-tenths pace, we find ourselves sawing at the steering wheel in corners, making minor corrections to the car’s line, and stumbling over the brake pedal, which has a slight dead zone at the top of its travel that makes delicacy a challenge.

But when we up the pace a few notches, the base-suspension Stingray comes into its own. Pushing harder on the brake pedal reveals excellent feel and modulation. Loading up the superb Michelin run-flat tires clamps the Stingray onto our chosen line, and the C7 doesn’t relinquish its grip as we feed in the power—and more power, and more, until the g force is nearly pressing us against the door panel. When the traction control starts limiting the fun, we switch the DMS from Sport to Track mode, which frees up the rear end to move around a bit. As the turns come faster and faster, the C7 simply gobbles them up.

Z51 without MSRC

In the twisties, the Z51 package proves just as desirable as the Competition Sport seats. Compared to the base, FE1-suspension car, the Z51-equipped FE3-suspension Stingray feels more planted, more responsive and, well, faster. While it doesn’t offer noticeably more grip, it definitely allows us to better exploit that grip, with less nose dive under braking, faster turn-in and less lean in the corners—not that the base car leaned much to begin with. In short, Z51 makes the Stingray feel more like a full-on sports car, one that better connects the driver to the road and really encourages you to attack the turns with conviction.

There’s a price to be paid for the extra connection, however: The FE3 car’s ride is noticeably less comfortable than that of the base suspension. While this suspension setup isn’t too extreme, we do think it does make ride quality an issue for those who want to use their car regularly on less-than-perfect roads, or simply prefer to cruise around.

Z51 with MSRC

When these optional magnetorheological shock absorbers are combined with the Z51 Performance Package—the resulting suspension is referred to as FE4 (there’s no FE2)—there is a real increase in ride comfort and no detriment to handling.

Ordering MSRC along with Z51 is the ultimate no-brainer option. First, it offers better ride quality than the base suspension. Second, it absorbs bumps better than either the base or FE3 shocks. Third, its stiffness varies both depending on the Driver Mode Selector’s positioning—soft in Tour, firm in Track—and what the road underneath is doing. Finally, ordering both MSRC and Z51 gets you Performance Track Management, five distinct levels of traction- and stability-control intervention inside Track mode. The only downside to MSRC is that you have to pay extra for it, but that’s part of how Chevy keeps the base price down. Regardless, we don’t think there’s a better $1,800 you can spend to improve a Corvette.
                                On Deposit: 2020 C8 Stingray Convertible - Torch Red - Natural Dipped 3LT - Z51 w/MSRC - Front Lift

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X