MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Official C8 Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

Coupe/HTC Build & Price: https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...d-price/config
GM’s C8 Info Site: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette
C8 Order Guide 1/17 Changes: https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NA...D=21905&type=0
Visualize Your C8:https://visualizer.chevrolet.com/ui?...US&channel=b2c
Also please look at our stickies in each of the four major C8 sections
2 of 2 < >

MECF TEMPORARY MAINTENANCE SHUT DOWN

STARTING 4:00 PM (PST), Monday, January 6th: Heads Up Please of Scheduled Maintenance!!!! Unlike past notices when our software company said MECF would be shut down less than one hour, they have said that our forum COULD have a two hour shut down. Thank you very much for your understanding.
See more
See less

Installing a Front License Plate to the C8 Corvette

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing a Front License Plate to the C8 Corvette

Click image for larger version

Name:	010820_9.jpg
Views:	3598
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	101160

Cross-posted from CorvetteBlogger:

We've been on Kirk Bennion and the Corvette Team since before Carlisle last year to share info on the front license plate. As 30 states or so require the front plate, it's one of those details that we know Corvette owners would be interested in. We finally got those details for mounting a front license plate on the C8 Corvette from Kirk so big thanks to him and the team for sharing these!

Front License Plate Install Process:

With the engine behind the driver and the radiators in the front now mounted on the corners, the C8’s integrated license plate doesn’t impact airflow or cooling to the car at all. You can see the outline of the plate holder in the center of the black fascia which has the traditional “CORVETTE” script at the top of the frame.

Name:	010820_4b.jpg
Views:	1145
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	101161

To remove the license plate cover, you must insert a small flat head screwdriver or another small thin object into the slot on the upper right-hand corner. This allows you to pop the tabs to remove the plate cover from the fascia.

Name:	010820_5b.jpg
Views:	1152
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	101162

Once the cover is removed, the mounting holes for the license plate are now exposed. The license plate will need to be bent slightly in the middle so that it will fit flush with the Corvettes’ traditionally angular nose.

Name:	010820_6b.jpg
Views:	1138
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	101163

The final step is to use the mounting screws to tighten the plate against the plate holder. Your C8 Corvette is now wearing its front license plate as required in your state.

Name:	010820_7b.jpg
Views:	1140
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	101164

According to our conversation with Kirk at the NCM Anniversary show, everything you need for the front license plate comes in a bag with the Corvette. For states that have a minimum height requirement, there is a process where the plate holder can be mounted on the very center of the car with the plate sticking up over the top of the C8’s pointed nose. But hopefully, the integrated plate holder will be enough to keep authorities in your state satisfied.

A huge thanks to Kirk and the Corvette Team for providing these photos and mounting details! Now that you’ve seen the step by step videos, here is our video with Kirk from the NCM Anniversary show discussing the front license plates:

Who is Kirk? I thought he mentioned he was at Mosport. That's in Ontario, CA. unless there is another Mosport somewhere.
    Murray - Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
    Torch red coupe, Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP

Comment

Kirk is Kirk Bennion, the C7 and the C8’s Chief Exterior Designer. He is a really good guy and very multi-talented, being both a great designed and also a high performance driving instructor for our Corvettes too.
      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover, 5JR vis CF mirror caps, and VJR illuminated sill plates.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Thank you very much CorvetteBlogger. That is just the front plate info and pictures many of us have been wanting. Well done Keith!

For those are wanting, including me, I am thinking there is just enough room around the plate itself but within the factory recess, to install a thin frame tasteful license plate frame.

I am going to get this one for my rear plate install. Before installing it, I will check to see if it works also within the front plate recess.

Name:	8BC88F8B-423C-4492-B871-B0EBE5AC0610.jpeg
Views:	1147
Size:	476.5 KB
ID:	101170

https://carbonfibergear.com/products...-angled-bottom
        GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover, 5JR vis CF mirror caps, and VJR illuminated sill plates.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Comment

THanks, So the front plate thing is to fill the space if you are fortunate enough to live in a state with no front plate like me.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
            Kirk is Kirk Bennion, the C7 and the C8’s Chief Exterior Designer. He is a really good guy and very multi-talented, being both a great designer and also a high performance driving instructor for our Corvettes too.
            Cool! He must have been part of the driving school at Mosport (AKA Canadian Tire Motorsports Park) as he was talking about front plates.

Comment

I took a clear piece of Lexan and cut it to shape and installed it over my front plate to protect it.

Comment

If it's already integrated into the front and all you have to do is pop the center piece off, why are they charging me $15 for something I will never use. Illinois requires it, but I will not be mounting it.
                The greatest sound in the world is a Rolls Royce Merlin over 100 inches.

1LT, Elkhart Lake Blue, Adrenaline red seats, Z51, FE4, Bright Silver 5-open spoke wheels, chrome emblems

Comment

Originally posted by TAdams65 View Post
                  If it's already integrated into the front and all you have to do is pop the center piece off, why are they charging me $15 for something I will never use. Illinois requires it, but I will not be mounting it.
                  I live in one of those states that require front plates, so we have to buy the $15 VK3 License bracket. No description of what is included in the bag. It looks like all you get is the license plate screws, everything else is already there. Maybe they include a small flat blade screwdriver? Or something to bend your plate to shape?

Comment

Originally posted by Murray20c8 View Post
                    I took a clear piece of Lexan and cut it to shape and installed it over my front plate to protect it.
                    I'll want to do something similar to protect the plate from road debris, but hopefully a vendor will come up with something that is already bent to the correct angle. It's not much of an angle granted, but still. Otherwise, time to get out the hair dryer.

Thanks for the info!

Comment

Originally posted by Vairworks View Post

I live in one of those states that require front plates, so we have to buy the $15 VK3 License bracket. No description of what is included in the bag. It looks like all you get is the license plate screws, everything else is already there. Maybe they include a small flat blade screwdriver? Or something to bend your plate to shape?
                      I too live in a front license plate state, but because it is mandatory my dealer said there is no charge for VK3.

We'll see what happens when I see the actual invoice.

I'm never installing a front license plate.

Comment

BTW One can also use plastic / rubber plumbing washers to make the plate stand out so it doesn't need to be bent. That's what I will likely do

Comment

So my question is............

Suppose I fit a front plate as shown, will the blank cover fit over it??
                          2020 C8 Corvette ....... TPW 2/03/20..........still!!
                          Shadow Grey Metallic on Black
                          2LT, Z51 + MRC
                          Spectra Grey Tridents
                          Carbon flash mirrors and spoiler

I'm a Rat and so is my car!

Comment

Can't seem to find anything like this for the Corvette, but I have a friend who has this cover. Kind of cool. It has the Firebird logo in clear molded plastic license plate protector. https://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/ponfirclearl.html

Comment

That is a great question Bikerjulio. I know the OEM cover did exactly that during the C5 generation. We hope for the same now. If so simple to pop the cover back on for car shows (as I believe you were thinking).

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X