MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Official C8 Owners Manual, Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

See more
See less

POLL: Driving A Mid Engine C8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jagtoes View Post
    I only had this one. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00001.JPG
Views:	342
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	100360
    jagtoes, whan absolutely stunning car you had!
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover, 5JR vis CF mirror caps, and VJR illuminated sill plates.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Porsche 914 GT
      Porsche 914-6
      Pantera
      Formula Ford SCCA
      S2000 SCCA
      Radical Prosport SCCA
      Radical SR-3 SCCA
      Williams FW07 SCCA
      Bennett Pontiac Prototype One, IMSA
      huge seat time in Ferrari 355, 430, driving instructor for Ferrari Club of America
      you guys are going to love how the C8 feels and handles. You will adapt very quickly. I know I will.
      Happy Trails,, Racer 86
      I love mid engined cars.
      Last edited by Racer86; 01-05-2020, 09:09 AM.
      3LT Long Beach Red , Z51, FE4 , ZZ3, Black interior ,38S red stitching, Q8T, FA5, ER1, CFX, and R8C

Comment

The experience isn't all that different in a ME (where it is different it's also better IMO). The car will change directions more quickly than you are use to in FE car. The view from the front is way different. Both of these things are real pluses. Rear grip is really good... another plus. Rear stability (at least in the ME's I've driven/owned) was no worse. On the GT4, it felt way LESS tail happy than my C7. In my experience, a ME car that is set up well (which the C8 seems to be) is a lot easier to drive fast than a FE car... more agility and response to steering input, more rear grip and neutral handling. I would suggest zero learning curve for street use (it is just more fun) and you will be comfortable after 15 minutes on a track.
        Last edited by gthal; 01-05-2020, 09:31 AM.
        2020 C8 | Torch Red | Z51 | 3LT | Adrenaline Red | Carbon | Comp Seats | Ground Effects | High Wing ... on order
        2016 Porsche GT4 | Black everything ... sold
        2016 BMW M2 | Blue | MT ... sold
        2014 C7 | Torch Red | Z51 | 2LT ... sold

Comment

Thanks gthal. Lots of good points in your post. I can’t wait to get into the driver’s seat. I can’t wait for the “more fun for street use” — for our C7 was a “9” in that area.
          GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover, 5JR vis CF mirror caps, and VJR illuminated sill plates.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

After you go around the block once, it's just another car under normal driving circumstances. Tracking is a whole different story.

The biggest issue driving on the street is all the other fools out there trying to take pictures. I could fill a page with the crazy stories. It gives 'defensive driving' a whole new meaning!

Comment

I had a Porsche Cayman and it didn't take any adjustment at all....it was the finest handling car I have ever owned …..very precise..... I have owned a lot of rear happy 911's and the Cayman was a joy to drive......I am expecting the C8 to be even more fun with that big American V8.....can't wait...

Comment

John, sorry I couldn't answer your poll because I would have needed a box to check off that said;

[ ] I currently own 3 mid engine cars, and couldn't care less about the handling because I don't drive fast anymore. I just wanted the beautiful new Corvette.
                Cape Cod Taxachusetts

3LT AYM Coupe. Z51, Mag Shocks, Yellow Calipers. Black Interior, Black Suede Seats, Yellow Stitching. Yellow Seat Belts.
                Illuminated Sills. Front and Rear Splash Guards. Chrome Wheel Locks, NCM Photo Album Program
                3000 TPW ????????????

Comment

Does a Volkswagen Karmann Ghia count? Not quite mid engine, but it was over the drive wheels.
                  How about a mid engine minivan? Drove one of those for work for several years Like "Milliwatt Rob" said.
                  I had a co-worker that looked like Tom selleck. Does that count?
                  I had a co-worker that owned a Pontiac Fiero and he let me touch it, does that count?
                  Murray - Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
                  Torch red coupe, Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP

Comment

Originally posted by Silverplate View Post
                    When it comes to riding I am very lucky. I have a friend who owns an early two thousand Ford GT, a 2017 Ford GT Heritage Edition, a 1967 Lamborghini Muria and a Porsche Carrera GT. I have had the opportunity to be a passenger in these very fine mid engine cars. They are all unique and very different mid engine cars. None of these experiences will help me in first driving the new C8 Corvette. I look so forward to my friend driving my new mid engine Corvette in the future for his impressions.
                    That’s cool u have had that opportunity and look forward to you posting his remarks positive/negative when he drives yours.

Comment

After having a corvette, Porsches, and a few other sports cars when I was much younger I began racing. After many years racing motorcycles than mid engined formula cars I never had an interest to own a sports car with the engine in front. After developing good driving technique with a mid engined formula car, rear engined and front engined cars just don’t seem right. Kids are just finishing college and I was looking at getting an older Ferrari as a toy. But the new corvette really got me excited.

Comment

I bought a new Toyota supercharged MR2 in 1989. Very nimble and quick.
                        I recently test drove a 2017 Acura NSX. WOW....!!!! If the new C8 is even close, it will be awesome. I was accelerating from standing stops and while moving at ridiculous rates. My friend was a passenger and was scared multiple times..
                        C8 HTC Long Beach Red, 2LT, Body Color moldings, nacelles and roof. Natural Interior. Base Wheels, Will powder coat Black. Edge Red Calipers

Comment

I had a Supercharged MR2. Just got in and drove it. Enjoyed the fact that the front view was excellent and the handling was great. I didn't think about why it handled so well. Same thing test driving a boxster before buying my C6. The boxter just felt great and easy to drive but never thought about it being ME and sales person never mentioned it was ME. 50 HP more and the C8 might be first vette.

My C6 was the hardest car to learn to drive. Despite having the Z51, those runcraps easily broke free with stab of the gas from LS3 in the lower gears. The back would step out on moderate power on any curve where the pavement was perfect. Now with seat time, DRM shocks, and 325 RE-11s out back, I feel much more confident.

I'm expecting my C8 Z51 FE4 to be a lesser learning curve.
                          Atomic Orange C6. Plenty of engine and suspension mods.

C8 HTC with Z51 FE4 coming fall 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post

jagtoes, whan absolutely stunning car you had!
                            Fun car it was. 1977 Ferrari 308 GTB . 3.0L V8 with 4 Weber 2 bbl's and only 240HP. Ran like a go cart . The intake ducts on the passenger side was for the carburetors and with the passenger window open the sound was great. I had it for 14 years .

Comment

Take your C8 to a big empty parking lot when it's raining. Turn off the nanny. Get up some speed in a straight line and then kick the wheel over and hit the gas. Try the same thing but hitting the brake instead. Get to know how and when it spins, and what to do when it starts to go.
                              Torch red 1LT, no options

Comment

Several Porsche and Ferrari cars.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X