MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Official 7.18.19 Livestream Reveal URL Site! Tustin Reveal Site Updates & Weather. Watch The Reveal on Your TV Using A Windows Laptop

7.18.19 Official Livestream URL Site: https://media.chevrolet.com/nextgenCorvette

7.18.19 Tustin Updates and Weather: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...ather-forecast

Watch The Reveal On Your TV Using a Windows Laptop: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...windows-laptop
See more
See less

GM: Engineers haven't tried stuffing Cadillac Blackwing V-8 in C8 Chevrolet Corvette

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But DOHC and four valves per cylinder offer real performance benefits when combined with forced induction since intake air velocity can be maintained at low rpm.

For NA, it's more about which style of driving one prefers. Two valves per cylinder delivers a gut-wrenching low end for street driving. DOHC four valves per cylinder is probably better for track use since one can exploit the greater area under the power curve to its full advantage, while on the street it's nearly impossible to take a DOHC NA V8 to redline without risking jail time. Thus all the youtube antics of Mustang Coyote drivers as they try to bury their tach needle.

Comment

I find it hard to believe that the GM engineers/development team had so little inquisitiveness and innovation to not try the Cadillac engine in a C8 for experimental evaluation.

Comment

Bad and Costly decision on GM execs for not wanting to share a motor already in production for Cadillac with the Corvette. Would a Cadillac buyer not buy a Cadillac with this 4.2 ltr with TT if it was in a Corvette?? I would think it would give the motor more credibility to a Cadillac buyer if he could say, Hey it's Got A C8 Corvette Motor rather than Oh, It's got a more powerful Cadillac Motor.

Comment

It isn’t over before its over, meaning of course that we will see a version of that motor in the Z06+ C8, though with a different valve cover and without the Hot-V set-up, giving it a new part number and a new name, so all those who are saying no the Blackwing in the Corvette are literally correct— and yet GM will still have a development-cost-shared second use motor.
          Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. Our 2020 ME C8 Corvette is next.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
            I could care less what even my friends think about the motor in my car. If others do care, and choose to go elsewhere for their next sports car, good for them. However, so many advantages to our good ‘ole pushrod V8’s, including of less parts to go south, costs many thousands less, develops more low end grunt, outperforms so many of them on the track, is a smaller package, and more.
            I don't care what others think about it either. But peer pressure is real, and many people will care. And even people who don't care about peer pressure might care about having what they consider the latest technology.
            SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
            >33,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

Originally posted by outofstep View Post
              If GM decides to stick with NA OHV engines, they have basically given up on appealing to anyone but their current grandpa demographic.

Without a FI DOHC, the Vette isn't even on my radar. My money will likely be dropped on a lotus or porche.
              There are Grandpa Gens that want to see the C8 in a 180 degree DOHC. Who want it as the first car. The push rod persisted to keep the hood line low up front. With the engine in the rear, the push rod will expire with its fan base. Sorry Bros. Truth be told. Once the Granpa Crowd experience the DOHC in the C8, they all transition. Especially if it will cruise a 80MPH while doing 1500RPM. That is the hurdle the DOHC must clear to win the old folks.

Comment

Generalizations are never appropriate, by age or other demographics. I am 72 and embrace changes. As one example, we have had 53 stick shirt transmissions in a row, and are looking forward to the massive change to a DCT.

So all here, cease with the age related generations.
                Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. Our 2020 ME C8 Corvette is next.

Comment

Just have to comment. A 4.2 Twin Turbo V8 putting out 550 hp and 627 pound-feet of torque? I'm in!!!

Comment

I had a DOHC 4.5 V8 almost 30 years ago. All aluminum block and heads, and 4 valves per cylinder.

So that DOHC V8 that the young generation supposedly wants existed before they were born.

It was called an Infiniti Q45. I am also 72 years old. But the only people I consider to be elderly are those older than me.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                      It isn’t over before its over, meaning of course that we will see a version of that motor in the Z06+ C8, though with a different valve cover and without the Hot-V set-up, giving it a new part number and a new name, so all those who are saying no the Blackwing in the Corvette are literally correct— and yet GM will still have a development-cost-shared second use motor.
                      This is spot on. We will not get the exact motor used in the Cadillacs, but will get a derivative of it based upon the same architecture. Literally moving the turbo location and re-engineering the heads makes it a new part number (new engine).

Now, will there be a ME Cadillac model bowing in a few years??

Comment

Remember back in the 1980s, GM started sharing engines across divisions, and some people with the upscale brand cars were upset that their cars came with "Chevrolet" engines?

Comment

Originally posted by TOMDOM69 View Post
                          if these numbers are right then that means only 600ish hp for the Z06
                          There is no way the Z06 loses 50 horsepower. No way!

That being said, horsepower numbers are for bench racers anyway, performance is what counts.
                          Last edited by DWG; 07-12-2019, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Milliwatt Rob View Post
                            I

It was called an Infiniti Q45. I am also 72 years old. But the only people I consider to be elderly are those older than me.
                            Well. I am 78. And the elderly are all younger, older and other than me. I am rubbing my hands together in anticipation of that wildly different Corvette, with the wholly revolutionary engine, alien transmission and a bag of shocks and surprises..

Please GM, annoy me with novelty.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepDog View Post

Well. I am 78. And the elderly are all younger, older and other than me. I am rubbing my hands together in anticipation of that wildly different Corvette, with the wholly revolutionary engine, alien transmission and a bag of shocks and surprises..

Please GM, annoy me with novelty.
                              I love to hear that!! 78 with the giddy fervor of a new car coming! You are living the life I truly have picked out for myself. I'm only 66 and I feel like a kid, with .25 cents in my pocket, in a candy store with this car coming up. Let's see it and have some fun!!

Comment

Originally posted by Milliwatt Rob View Post
                                Remember back in the 1980s, GM started sharing engines across divisions, and some people with the upscale brand cars were upset that their cars came with "Chevrolet" engines?
                                My dad had an Oldsmobile with a Chevy engine. He couldn't have cared less, but got $50 (IIRC) from GM as a settlement in a class action lawsuit.
                                SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                                >33,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X