MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 4 < >

C8 Caught In The Wild Testing! Best 7 ME Videos! Inside BGA : Jagamajajaran’s Video

2 of 4 < >

2019 Grand Sport Drivers Series Officially Revealed Tomorrow. LIst of C8 Poential Patents. Considerations In Modeling The C8

3 of 4 < >

Site Maintenance Starts @ 5:00 PM Today

Yesterday’s massive software update resulted in 3 things needing help. Some already corrected. Today we get up to a one hour maintenance/update time out.
4 of 4 < >

UPGRADED FORUM SOFTWARE

To keep our forum growing with the latest software, it was just upgraded. LIke all changes, our goal is for 100% success, but sometimes only 99% is achieved. If you notice that 1%, please start a thread entitled “Software Upgrade Difference. “ Thank you for within it describing what was different, worked better or not as well. Thank you.
See more
See less

C7’s End & C8’s Beginnings: What Could Be GM’s Game Plan To Deal With Both Changes?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Highway61 View Post
    I read somewhere that Bowling Green would be capable of running two different car lines at the plant. Being the C7 and C8 seem to be totally different cars (to me), why would GM discontinue the C7 just because the C8 was available, especially if there are over 8000 new C7's sitting on dealers lots. I think if they did a refresh on the C7, like a 500 - 550 HP motor and some kind of minor exterior body change, would help sell the existing inventory on lots today, otherwise they will have to deeply discount them to sell a discontinued model. I also don't think that the ME C8 is going to be the bread & butter seller the the traditional Corvette has been for the last 65 years.
    You’ll have to explain to me how you think a refresh would move unsold cars off dealer lots.
    There is a madness to my method!

2015 Z06 Torch/adrenaline
    2001 coupe Torch/oak R8C
    79 coupe Silver/oyster
    All one owner
    Museum lifetime members

Comment

Originally posted by Highway61 View Post
      I read somewhere that Bowling Green would be capable of running two different car lines at the plant. Being the C7 and C8 seem to be totally different cars (to me), why would GM discontinue the C7 just because the C8 was available, especially if there are over 8000 new C7's sitting on dealers lots. I think if they did a refresh on the C7, like a 500 - 550 HP motor and some kind of minor exterior body change, would help sell the existing inventory on lots today, otherwise they will have to deeply discount them to sell a discontinued model. I also don't think that the ME C8 is going to be the bread & butter seller the the traditional Corvette has been for the last 65 years.
      I get the agreement and the common sense of making both products. But you have to realise that GM financially could not afford to do both products. Car sales are on the decline with more practical sport suvs taking their place. We have not heard anything in the press or testing on any C7 refresh, plus the current C7 is not selling that well and is declining monthly. I am not sure a simple refresh would make that big of a difference Knowing they are producing an ME. I feel those Corvette fans that are lost because of the switch to an ME will be replaced by many new buyers wanting the newer design.

I do believe the ME will have similar cargo space as the current FE. The long back end definitely tells me their is a larger trunk behind that motor. My Audi R8 was way easier to drive and get in and out of compared to my 2015 Z06. When comparing the two the rear visibility was about the same plus we believe the new ME will have a video mirror to overcome any visabiliity issues.

I just don't feel by going to an ME design that the faithful will have to sacrifice that much if GM covers these concerns. I can promise many that have never driven a properly set up ME will end of loving it compared to an FE. You feel more confident and connected to the car its just hard to explain. Having the motor behind you gives you better frontward visibility that makes everything more 3D like in front of you. After driving my Z then getting back into my R8 I felt the long hood to be bothersome with forward visibility. It made the driving experience more uncomfortable and not as confident inspiring, hard to explain. GM goal: have everything buttoned up on the ME before its released and if they can do that we all should be fine, other than a few outliers who will never be happy no matter what GM does because they just hate change. Plus those that are lost will be gained by new buyers wanting a ME.
      Last edited by Fasttoys; 01-20-2019, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Plasboy View Post

You’ll have to explain to me how you think a refresh would move unsold cars off dealer lots.
        Agreed the C7 is a dead platform for GM. With the ever growing number of Unsold units on Dealer Lots this is just the validation of GM's decision to not throw good money after bad and to utilize resources prudently for the C8. There will always be some that do not understand this decision however, it is the only one to make when emotion is removed from the thought process.

Comment

@ Plasboy If the C7 was to continue as a current model, GM would not have to discount them as much to move them. People expect large discounts on discontinued models.

@ Fasttoys I have nothing againts the ME and think that it's time has finally come to be another model of the Corvette line up. I just think that the price point is starting to get away from the average buyer and GM can't afford to abandon the C7 at this time. GM can financially afford to do both products, being they have already have a capable assembly plant and the cost of a C7 refesh would be minimal.

@ Busa Dave I think if the C7 was dead, GM would have started discounting the C7's with large rebates a year ago already. They would be able to pay for an $40M refesh just from the saving of not having to discount (those 8000 unsold) C7's an extra $5000 just because it's a discontinued model.

Comment

Interesting thoughts/ideas. Thank you Highway61!
            So many questions about the ME right now; so few answers yet.

Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. A ME C8 Corvette is coming next.

Comment

C7 Corvette Final Edition Debuts For Europe

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/01/...#ixzz5e8JcraUw

Comment

Thank you very much RedDrop Top. I missed your earlier post, and posted a brand new thread. I will go into that and properly credit you for your earlier find/post. Thank you eagle eye!
                So many questions about the ME right now; so few answers yet.

Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. A ME C8 Corvette is coming next.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                Working...
                X