MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 3 < >

C8 Reveal Countdown Clock! 1959 Stingray Race Re-Imagined “Modern” C8 Close Up Video

2 of 3 < >

Tonight @ 8:00 PM (PST) Scheduled Software Maintenance. C8 REVEAL COUNTDOWN CLOCK!

HEADS UP PLEASE: Tonight At 8:00 PM Is Scheduled Software Maintenance! Could be up to two hours long — but heretofore every one has been much shorter than the time cautioned.

Reveal Countdown Clock: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette
3 of 3 < >

C8 Reveal Countdown Clock! Requirement to cite your post’s sources with a clickable link.

C8 REVEAL COUNTDOWN CLOCK: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette

PLEASE, DUE TO COPYRIGHT LAWS, IF YOU USE ANY PART OF AN ARTICLE IN YOUR POST, IMPERATIVE THAT YOU INCLUDE AN ACTUAL, CLICKABLE LINK TO IT. Thank you.
See more
See less

GM Re-Files ZORA Trademark

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM Re-Files ZORA Trademark

Since it is unlikely that this is a defensive trademark patent, after all who else would want to use it on a Lamborghini, Ferrari, Mustang, etc., maybe, just maybe, there will at least be one version of the ME engine that is called the ZORA. Personally doubt that the entire C8 line would be all ZORA’s, with then model specific and differentiation. But for the 1,000 HP, AWD hydrid version, that sure could be a ZORA.

Originally posted by theDrive
    General Motors Files 'Zora' Trademark With US Patent and Trademark Office December's filing marks the automaker's first attempt to trademark the famous name since 2014.

BY JAMES GILBOY, JANUARY 1, 2019

LANKY TURTLE - YOUTUBE SHARE

General Motors has made a bid for rights to the "Zora" name, which is historically associated with its flagship sports car: the Chevrolet Corvette.

GM filed for the name with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) on Dec. 12 of this year, claiming pertinence to "motor land vehicles, namely, automobiles." The automaker previously attempted to secure the Zora trademark in mid-June to early July of 2014, issuing claims with at least 23 intellectual property offices, the USPTO included. December's Zora filing is the first and only of its kind for the Zora name in 2018, and only the third since July of 2014.

USPTO VIA THE DRIVE

The Zora name is believed to be derived from that of Zora Arkus-Duntov, the Chevrolet engineer credited with the idea of dropping a V-8 into the C1 back in 1955. Arkus-Duntov was an outspoken advocate for the mid-engined Corvette, with which GM experimented several times, but never produced in series within Arkus-Duntov's life—he passed in 1996. Many Corvette fans consider the Zora name a fitting way to pay tribute to the engineer that called for the model's evolution decades before GM was ready to make the leap.

All association between the Zora name and the mid-engined C8 remains speculative at present, but the expected reveal of the C8 in mid to late 2019 combined with the fresh Zora trademark may rekindle rumors of a relationship between the two. The Zora name went unmentioned in an alleged large-scale leak of information on the C8 earlier this month, though some of the other names specified in the claimed leak have a comparable paper trail with intellectual property offices, making the link of any name to the C8 tenuous until confirmed by GM.
    http://www.thedrive.com/news/25732/g...ademark-office

Our previous thread on earlier ZORA trademarking: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...ked-everywhere

Last edited by John; 01-01-2019, 07:23 PM.
    Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. Our 2020 ME C8 Corvette is next.

I went back and looked at the 2014 filing (below). It notes an "Assignment Recording" whereas the 2018 filing doesn't have that. The USPTO has a section on Assignments which it defines as "the act of transferring to another the ownership of one’s property, i.e., the interest and rights to the property." So my thinking is GM was assigned the rights in 2014 from another entity and then re-registered or renewed it in Dec 2018 without the assignment. Other than the fact that GM still is interested in reserving the name Zora for a vehicle name, I doubt this is anything other than standard legal work by the corporation's trademark lawyers.

https://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac/mpep/s301.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	010119_10b.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	21191

Comment

Thank you very much Keith. Always nice to know more...
      Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. Our 2020 ME C8 Corvette is next.

Comment

Rumor is the chinese were going to try and sell their mid engine sports car in the united states and were going to call it the Woo Ling Zora...

(kidding)

thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Once again with ZORA shown as all capital letters to match CORVETTE all capital letter badge.

Comment

Will be interesting to see if the speculation that GM is moving to Corvette names (i.e. ZORA, Stingray, etc.) versus alpha/numerical titles (i.e. Z06, ZR1, etc.) becomes fact.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
            Working...
            X