Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Corvette Today Podcast: TONS OF NEWS THIS WEEK

We've been doing Corvette news & headlines podcasts on CORVETTE TODAY since September 2020. I don't remember ever doing a news & headlines podcast with this much critical information packed into one podcast! https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/show/...ppfrkBCyZstwdl. This is a "must listen" to podcast. Here are a few of the topics covered in this episode....

1. Chevrolet confirms the introduction this Fall of the 2023 C8 Z06 with a new video release-and it sounds like a Ferrari
2. Corvette dominates sales in Q2 2021
3. Chevy dealerships have received their first 2022 C8 allocations
4. Callaway looks ahead to 2022 and the Callaway C8 Corvette
5. Right-hand drive C8 is revealed at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in the UK
6. New GT-3 spec C8.R expected in 2024
7. California will start failing cars with tuned ECU’s during smog checks
8. The National Corvette Museum delivers their 14,000th Corvette
9. A couple exchanges wedding vows before taking delivery of their C8 at the NCM
10. "Life in the Fast Lane" by The Eagles is a story of cocaine and a fast Corvette
11. Sigala Designs shows off a completed widebody kit for the C8
See more
See less

Oil Change Costs $20,000+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plasboy
    replied
    Originally posted by John View Post
    My first summer job out of high school, was working as a lifeguard at a country club. My “boss,” who was just a year or two older than me, showed up on day one with a brand new Jaguar XKE. Oh my. However, the next day, a Tuesday, he shows up in a second one in blue..

I asked, “Rick, is that a loaner, with your first one in the shop?”

He says, “no this is my second one, and yes, the first one is in the shop.”

Thursday or Friday of that week, he shows up in a for our five year old pickup, and says, “well, they are now both in the shop.”

And throughout that summer, there were more than occasional times when he drove his pickup to the pool. Ah yes, we all remember the repeat failures of Lucas electrical systems.
    Guess things changed over time or he got lucky but my dad had a 1972 XJ6 and it turned out to be a very reliable car. I inherited it and just got rid of it 2 years ago. Still going strong.

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied
    I just talked with my outstanding Tech this past Thursday, and he too is pretty sure that oil and filter changes on the ME will be about the same price as now, perhaps/maybe up to a few dollars more. Of course, as he readily volunteered, he has yet received not one drop of info, and is just guessing.

​​​​​​He said that with the info he got early on the C7 process when he had to do his first major repair, which required dropping the entire rear end and much more, that he is not concerned about what C8 maintenance and repair will bring. Of course, he is one of the best, and when he approaches something new, if he has one shadow of a doubt, he doesn’t start guessing and experimenting, instead calling his “Tech Hot Line Team” just outside Detroit, conversing with them before he wastes his time and my money. As he also noted, he will be scheduled into regional training sessions — in addition to getting computer schematics and more to assist him/others in C8 R/M.

Leave a comment:

• cutnout
    replied
    When I was younger I drove a BMW as a daily driver. The service (aka inspections) with an oil and filter ran between 600 and 800 dollars. Now days I pay for the Corvette service out of pocket--hoorah. Charlie aka cutnout

Leave a comment:

• ltomn
    replied
    Frankly, the French have never been knows as engineers. This $20k oil change shouldn't be a surprise.

Leave a comment:

• RoketRdr
    replied
    Changing the oil on a Corvette is easy. Changing the oil on a Lambo/Ferrari/Porsche is not. All the underbody aero has to be removed to access all the drain plugs and on certain cars like the Buggati's it involves removing body panels. However I will admit that the oil change cost on the Bugatti is nothing more than an over inflated cost just because they can. Most exotic dealers charge between $800-1500 for oil changes which is also inflated a bit. It takes a lot more time and work to change oil in these cars and there's also the exotic "tax" you're paying.

Leave a comment:

• RoketRdr
    replied
    Originally posted by Racer86 View Post
    The super rich just do not value money, only the luxuries that it can supply. I’m not in that league. So the ME Corvette is what I will get to play with. Seems like a better deal to me.
    You're completely incorrect.

Leave a comment:

• Fireeagle
    replied
    I think I would be changing my own oil... then again if I'm ever foolish enough to spend over $1 million for a car or lucky enough to have that kind of money, I think a couple of ZR1's with a $120 oil change would suit me fine.

Leave a comment:

• Racer86
    replied
    The super rich just do not value money, only the luxuries that it can supply. I’m not in that league. So the ME Corvette is what I will get to play with. Seems like a better deal to me.

Leave a comment:

• Racer86
    replied
    Lucas,, the Prince of Darkness. Lights, voltage regulator, and generator burning out when you turn on the lights at night

Leave a comment:

• Racer86
    replied
    Lucas refrigeration,,,, the reason the Brits drink warm beer.

Leave a comment:

• Racer86
    replied
    Lucas invented the smoke pipe,,,,, wire

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied
    I sure understand. I bought a brand new 1969 Triump Bonneville. Great motorcycle when the Lucas electrical system worked. I kept blowing the coils. I went though five or six on warranty, when my boss (I worked part time at the Triump dealership), said, “forget warranty claims, we are no longer going to buy you new coils.” My bike was then less than one year old, and even then a new one cost $35, and the bike had two of them.

I was ****ed. Tried to get him to get me another one at no charge, and he finally did. My bike worked great for another month, when in the middle of nowhere, it again sputtered and died on the side of a country road. The good news was that after waiting roughly a half hour each time, it would re-fire and I could get home.

A motorcyclist stopped and tried to help. He had a BSA (companion brand to the Triumph) motorcycle, and said, “forget getting Lucas coils. Go to the Honda dealer and buy their coils for their CB750. They cost $10 and you will never have another issue.” He then pointed down to his coil on his bike saying, “exactly what that one is.”

Went to the Honda dealership and bought two of their coils for $20, and that BSA owner was right, that I never had a problem with a bad coil again.
    Last edited by John; 09-20-2018, 09:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ltomn
    replied
    Originally posted by John View Post
    Ah yes, we all remember the repeat failures of Lucas electrical systems.
    About 25 years ago, I came into ownership of a Rover TC 2000. It was a gift to me from a 90 year old man that had quit driving. I brought it home and proceeded to find out a great deal about Lucas electronics. The basic realization was very simple: don't bother with them. I sold the car shortly after.

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied
    My first summer job out of high school, was working as a lifeguard at a country club. My “boss,” who was just a year or two older than me, showed up on day one with a brand new Jaguar XKE. Oh my. However, the next day, a Tuesday, he shows up in a second one in blue..

I asked, “Rick, is that a loaner, with your first one in the shop?”

He says, “no this is my second one, and yes, the first one is in the shop.”

Thursday or Friday of that week, he shows up in a for our five year old pickup, and says, “well, they are now both in the shop.”

And throughout that summer, there were more than occasional times when he drove his pickup to the pool. Ah yes, we all remember the repeat failures of Lucas electrical systems.

Leave a comment:

• meyerweb
    replied
    Originally posted by Mobius View Post

Just buy two - problem solved.
    No one buys a Veyron as their only car. If it gets a flat, they'll just call Bugatti, have it picked up on the side of the road, and drive the Rolls or one of the Lambos until it gets back.

Leave a comment:

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
Working...
X