See less

Tesla Superchargers On Thanksgiving Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The electric car industry needs to have a universal battery that can be used in any model or make of electric car. If this was possible then all a electric car had to do is pull into a electric filling station and swap the battery which could be done by some machine and take off. All the batteries that have been discharged could go into a charging area then when charged it goes into the next car at the pump or electric socket whatever. Its going to take a lot of thought and agreement on the auto industry to make electric cars functional for long trips.

Comment

Originally posted by jack1954 View Post
      The electric car industry needs to have a universal battery that can be used in any model or make of electric car. If this was possible then all a electric car had to do is pull into a electric filling station and swap the battery which could be done by some machine and take off.
      While not universal, Tesla was promoting battery swapping stations back as early as 2013. https://www.tesla.com/videos/battery-swap-event
      Upcoming Vette:
      '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package

Current Vettes:
      '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
      '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
      '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by Mobius View Post

While not universal, Tesla was promoting battery swapping stations back as early as 2013. https://www.tesla.com/videos/battery-swap-event
        I feel the problem with that would be similar to the propane tank exchanges. I have received many bad ones which the valves go bad and they are useless. With the battery pack swaps would be involved because of the weight and location of the packs in different models. Once a pack becomes degraded the company would be stuck with the expense of refurbishing (which they haven't really figured out yet as it's extremely costly) or they would be responsible to replace it. Again there are a lot of obstacles and hurdles for the electric vehicle industry to figure out.
        Rocket City Florida

Comment

How long would it take to swap a battery, compared to recharging from a 480 volt supply? I doubt it would save that much time, and would require standardization of batteries. I don't think a Tesla S Ludicrous owner would want a battery for a Nissan Leaf

Comment

The electric car industry needs to have a universal battery that can be used in any model or make of electric car. If this was possible then all a electric car had to do is pull into a electric filling station and swap the battery.
            i think there is a lot of standardization that needs to occur in the EV market. Batteries, plugs even induction chargers in the road was mentioned. The current state of the EV market reminds me of where we were in the computer industry in the 80s. Computers were largely incompatible outside their own brands, and you didn’t have networks and standards to exchange data. That has evolved with the help of IEEE standards in computing as it will for the EV industry.

2LT GKZ in Torch Red
            5ZZ High Wing Spoiler - Carbon Flash Metallic
            AH2 GT2 Seats
            E60 Front Lift Adjustable Height with Memory
            FE4 Magnetic Ride Suspension
            HUK Sky Cool Gray Seats
            J6F Red Calipers
            NPP Performance Exhaust (Incl w/Z51)
            SC7 Roof Panel Storage Bag in Black w/Crossed Flags logo
            Z51 Z51 Performance pkg
            ZYC Carbon Flash Metallic painted outside mirrors

Comment

I don't own a electric car and like many people they really don't ring my bell but for my wife I think one would be great, its 20 miles to a large city from our place in the country to buy grocery's and and shop she does this trip many times a week doing her yoga and shopping, thats 40 plus miles every trip which adds up to $40-50 per week ($2.26 gallon) at the pump and mileage added to her car. Plus she leave all the cars empty for me to fill up, she would however plug one in I think....
              Last edited by jack1954; 12-04-2019, 06:38 AM.

Comment

I can’t justify buying a car to save money on fuel as I just don’t drive enough, but I would really like to have a Tesla in our garage. My company has EV chargers installed that are free to use. My commute is 10 miles so I tend to ride my bike a lot instead.
                2LT GKZ in Torch Red
                AH2 GT2 Seats
                HUK Sky Cool Gray Seats
                J6F Red Calipers
                Z51 Z51 Performance pkg

Comment

I don't own a electric car and like many people they really don't ring my bell but for my wife I think one would be great, its 20 miles to a large city from our place in the country to buy grocery's and and shop she does this trip many times a week doing her yoga and shopping, thats 40 plus miles every trip which adds up to $40-50 per week ($2.26 gallon) at the pump and mileage added to her car. Plus she leave all the cars empty for me to fill up, she would however plug one in I think....
                  Funny how we end up with that job....an electric ev plug in would resolve that issue of having to fill up.

and NJ only has full service gas stations...its not like the girls in NJ even have to get out of the car...

i think its one of the few states that outlawed self service gas stations.

Makes hot rod EV small or medium sport cuv a slightly more promising proposition for us guys who do the fillups for our phillys..

Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 2LT or 1LT depending on when i get the call..Ill flip a coin at that moment..same for E60

Comment

I recently returned from two weeks in New Jersey. It felt like a month.

Having to deal with those pump jockeys is a major annoyance. Too many pumps for too few jockeys. So after the nozzle clicks off, you have to wait more minutes for the jockey to return. And if you have some kind of discount program card, you will accrue points, but the jockey is too busy to redeem points for your current fill up.

Filling your fuel tank is one place where I would much rather do it myself. I can imagine some enterprising NJ legislator is going to introduce a bill to prohibit self service EV recharging. After all, there could be 480 volts or more in that recharging wire, with mere citizens fiddling with adapters. Safety first!!

Comment

Such is life in NJ...i pump my own gas quite often to help the pump jockeys out when its busy...

against the law but nobody cares...

New Jersey is one of the few states mandating full service stations...

even still many wives and loved ones dont like to even have to spend their time getting gas...

some of the divorced girls at the gym (in spin classes)have a running effort to eek out the last drop of gas in the cars tank to minimize the number of times they have to go to the gas stations...

i kid you not(not brain surgeons but they are hot looking so....)
                      Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 2LT or 1LT depending on when i get the call..Ill flip a coin at that moment..same for E60

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post

Funny how we end up with that job....an electric ev plug in would resolve that issue of having to fill up
                        My wife hates to get gas... I used to keep a 5gal can of fuel at the house for emergencies. I stopped when my wife was becoming reliant on it and having an “emergency” every week.
                        2LT GKZ in Torch Red
                        AH2 GT2 Seats
                        HUK Sky Cool Gray Seats
                        J6F Red Calipers
                        Z51 Z51 Performance pkg

Comment

This thread is morphing a bit, but I don't mind getting gas as long as I don't have to line up. We have stations with cheaper gas but there are always lineups and it can get ugly when someone buts in. We (in Canada) have "Canadian Tire stores" that sell gas. They give you about 3 cents per litre back in store credits on fuel ups. Canadian tire stores are a staple in Canada so it's a no brainer to go there and almost never line up.
                          Murray - Torch red / Adrenaline red 2LT Q8Q E60 NPP

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X