Tesla Superchargers On Thanksgiving Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tesla Superchargers On Thanksgiving Day

Still lots more work to do, for even on Thanksgiving l got fuel for my gas guzzler in less than five minutes. This picture shows about 6 of the roughly 18 Teslas in line awaiting their turn to start to get recharged. Thanks Jalopnik for this article; short video is worth watching to..

Click image for larger version  Name:	4E66A030-C6A1-41AE-B7DD-15EFB020F398.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	321.6 KB ID:	93299

Originally posted by Jalopnik
    For all the **** we give Tesla, they rightfully deserve to be lauded for the Supercharger network of fast-charging stations. You want to drive across the country in your electric car? Easy peasy, thanks to the ability to quick charge up to about an 80% tank of electron juice in about 20 minutes. Unless you and some of the hundreds of thousands of other Tesla owners want to use the exact same Supercharger station at the exact same time.

I’ve written whole rants on the topic, but I really do love the Supercharger system. While companies like GM twiddle their thumbs and pen useless op-eds for CNN wondering who, WHO, could possibly build the infrastructure their cars require for them, Tesla just went out and did it. The freedom the literally thousands of Superchargers enables is why, for all of Elon’s inanity, if I was in the market for an expensive electric car at the moment, I’d probably get a Tesla over anything else.

But “literally thousands” of Superchargers isn’t enough. It’s not enough for the millions of cars Tesla itself wants to build, and other automakers are still playing catchup, let alone coming close to the number of Superchargers that exist.

Basically, it’s going to take some brave corporations millions, if not billions, of dollars, to go ahead and start building quick-charging stations on the scale that we have gas stations now.

Until then, we’ll get scenes like this in high-Tesla-ownership areas, shot by a reader named Steve at the San Luis Obispo, California, Supercharger station on Thanksgiving Day.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-the-main-...ign=2019-12-01
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards. Separately getting from my dealer RCC Edge Red engine cover and 5JR vis CF mirror caps.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Every year, I write an April Fools Day story for our local news publication. Here is the 2019 story

==================================

New Program to Make Electric Cars More Appealing to Vermonters

April 1, 2019

Montpelier, VT

Electric cars are an essential part of Vermont's plan to reduce the State's carbon footprint. But sales have lagged.

Consumer studies have shown sales resistance to electric vehicles for three primary causes. First, anxiety over running out of battery power, Second, difficulty in finding a recharge station when you need it, and third, having to endure downtime while the battery recharges.

To address all three issues, a coalition of Vermont electric utilities, electric car manufacturers, and the Vermont Office of Bizarre Ideas has developed a plan. The plan involves stringing electric catenary cables (overhead wires) over the travel lanes of Interstate Highways and major state highways. Electric cars would be equipped with pantographs (poles to draw electricity from overhead wires) extending upward from the car roofs, allowing the cars to draw power from the overhead cables as the cars are driven down the highway.

By use of this technology, electric cars would run directly off grid supplied utility power as they moved down the highway, and would simultaneously recharge on-board batteries while in motion. This would provide adequate battery power for when motorists leave major highways for the back roads near home. It is estimated that an electric car could be brought to full charge on a drive between Brattleboro and White River Junction.

The electric vehicles would be equipped with Smart Meters that would record the electricity used by car, and transmit the usage to the utility for billing. For those who object to Smart Meters, conventional meters will be optional, which can be read monthly at any service station.

Comment

I am glad I was not waiting in that line on my way to a family Thanksgiving Dinner.

Comment

Gm has announced its dealer network will have chargers and ford has announced something like 2000 of its dealers will as well.

78 percent of all trips by america is 40 miles or less.

Fwiw if your actually planning a long distance trip just rent a car or use one of your others.

i wouldnt travel on holiday weekends for over a decade at least and it has nothing to do with suoercharging capabilities.

after traveling into manhattan for close to 35 years...i have little patience for traffic period..holiday traveling is asking for trouble.

interesting article...

JMO
        Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 2LT or 1LT depending on when i get the call..Ill flip a coin at that moment..same for E60

Comment

Living in Florida with all of the hurricanes and power outages, I couldn't even imagine being stranded with Millions of people trying to get out of the state. They can keep their electric POS.( Premature Operating System) for clarity. Now that millions of EV owners have experienced the severe drawbacks in California with the power outages due to wildfires and those on their holiday commute maybe they will reconsider how useless their EV is. GM please don't stick your neck out and push the envelope and switch to EV's. I'm talking to you Mary. Not to single out any one person, all of those who might be in high positions in the automotive industry, For it will surely bite you in the A$$. This isn't the first time a war has erupted in the automotive industry tying to switch to electric.
          Last edited by Frenzy36; 12-02-2019, 05:22 AM.
          Rocket City Florida

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post

78 percent of all trips by america is 40 miles or less.

JMO
            JB That's daily commute, not vacationing trips. I could ride a bicycle 40 miles a day easily. So are you saying we should all just ride bicycles? I walk at least 5-7 miles a day just to keep in shape. I'm sorry but I just can't get on board with EV's. I also have a few degrees in mechanical and electrical. It's not the answer and as far as green it's not even close. I don't want to get into all of the severe impacts of EV's but I will tell you as far as global warming goes-it takes a lot of power in whatever form to create electricity either solar, wind, coal, nuclear, whatever. Also when utilizing the electricity there is a power consumption which also causes heat. Even if we don't burn our forests to utilize it for energy, lightning will as we see over and over again. Mother nature takes out millions and millions of acres a year and pollutes the heck out of our atmosphere and we are too stupid to cut it down and burn it for our own use. Likewise with natural gas which will seep out of the ground anyway if we don't utilize it and pollute our atmosphere.
            Anyway if I own several cars, why would you think renting a car is the answer, what if the only car I could rent in the near future is electric? Would it do me any good if I could not recharge it? What if most of my state is without electricity as it has been many times before? These are all valid questions. The answer is definitely not EV's.
            Last edited by Frenzy36; 12-02-2019, 04:59 AM.
            Rocket City Florida

Comment

Originally posted by Frenzy36 View Post
              Even if we don't burn our forests to utilize it for energy, lightning will as we see over and over again. Mother nature takes out millions and millions of acres a year and pollutes the heck out of our atmosphere and we are too stupid to cut it down and burn it for our own use.
              I've got a nice wood stove at home, with reasonably high efficiency (>60%, as I recall). I used to use it daily during the Winter, but now it sees operation mostly on cold weekends.

Burning wood is also "carbon neutral", as long as there is a tree growing to replace the one being burned.

I'm not sure how to power a Tesla from wood, though.

Trees are also great at naturally capturing carbon: https://www.theguardian.com/environm...nopy-emissions
              Upcoming Vette:
              '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package

Current Vettes:
              '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
              '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
              '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

My part of the country, Vermont, is more interconnected with the Quebec electrical system than the southern New England system. The marginal electric source in the middle of the night is hydro based power. Renewable, so long as it continues to rain and snow.

Comment

Originally posted by Milliwatt Rob View Post
                  My part of the country, Vermont, is more interconnected with the Quebec electrical system than the southern New England system. The marginal electric source in the middle of the night is hydro based power. Renewable, so long as it continues to rain and snow.
                  Yep and the colder it is the more it cuts into the range of these cars. When it get really cold below 0 you do not want to be in one of Elon's machines stuck in a traffic jam in a snow storm lol especially in a car with a 4 year old battery pack.

Comment

Originally posted by Busa Dave View Post

Yep and the colder it is the more it cuts into the range of these cars. When it get really cold below 0 you do not want to be in one of Elon's machines stuck in a traffic jam in a snow storm lol especially in a car with a 4 year old battery pack.
                    My winter ride is a BMW diesel X5 SUV. I prefer to drive in winter without a coat, jacket or even sweater, counting on the seat heater and engine heat to keep me warm, with the temperature control set at 75 or more. With an EV, all that cockpit heat would come off the battery instead of water jacket and alternator. But when it is zero, I have to be careful that my diesel fuel is sufficiently winterized to not stop flowing. I keep a heavy coat and blanket in the car in the event of a breakdown.

If it is that cold, the car usually stays in the garage, and me in the house.

Comment

When we first got our Model X we decided to see what a road trip would be like (off-season). We didn't have a lot of waiting - until we hit California. I had some pretty good range anxiety while there because I didn't have a destination charger and had to use in-town chargers, where there was ALWAYS a wait.

What Tesla needs to do is build more 40-50 charger stations like they have in Baker, California.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	tesla-supercharger-baker-ca-40-stalls-model-x-2-991x743.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	93463

Comment

Originally posted by VicH View Post
                        When we first got our Model X we decided to see what a road trip would be like (off-season). We didn't have a lot of waiting - until we hit California. I had some pretty good range anxiety while there because I didn't have a destination charger and had to use in-town chargers, where there was ALWAYS a wait.

What Tesla needs to do is build more 40-50 charger stations like they have in Baker, California.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	tesla-supercharger-baker-ca-40-stalls-model-x-2-991x743.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	93463
                        That didn't do them any good when California kept pulling the plug because of all the wildfires. Wouldn't have mattered if they had a million charging stations, There was simply no electricity period.
                        Rocket City Florida

Comment

Originally posted by Frenzy36 View Post

That didn't do them any good when California kept pulling the plug because of all the wildfires. Wouldn't have mattered if they had a million charging stations, There was simply no electricity period.
                          Good point.

Comment

Its not going to be one answer for every application.

i think we will find mixed use..

your are correct that our state governements could turn off the juice for a week at a time and we couldn't charge up or power our cars.

i live in the NY tristate area and I remember we had a hurricane a few years back...the gas stations had no power to pump gas and even then the floods made all the gas in the tanks bad so we only had regular ...when the power came back on. And we had to wait until the bad gas that was ruined had to pulled out and then new gas added....

i think the rain water , the sewers etc flooded the streets and even went into the underground gasstation tanks.

i remember having to fill my corvette with a few tanks of regular gas after waiting in line once the power came back a few days after the storm...the new gas was delivered etc..it was a mess.

i remember laughing saying if I had gotten my wife an electric car i could have potentially powered the house from the cars battery.(powering a house with electricity was minimal in consumption versus moving a car so that lithion ion battery would have done well.....i think at that time the chevy volt was a generator gas motor and that combined could have powered the frig ...

that would ge kind of cool ...to have electricity to the house from the car...

im totally with those that prefer gas powered sports car and even family transport.

happens my better half literally is one of those who drives about 7k miles a year and at most 40 miles per day tops...

because we have a severely handicapped autistic 24 year old son we rarely travel as a family distances of more than 250 miles ...maybe once in a decade.

I do realize my situation is not normal...it is something one of two car families could be an ev with 250 to 300 mile range and still be quite interesting.

dont ask me why but my better half would love to never have to stop at a gas station and just plug in once a week or two...or every night whatever she would remember to do .

plug it in...set the timer to start charging at midnight to get a lower rate and unplug it in the morning and go...

it would just work for her..

i will state no transmission shifting manual and the immense instant torque of the tesla model s inane or ludicrous mode was quite eye opening a driving experience...

definitely not a long distance tourer at this point as you mentioned my friend...

its not a money saver thing but rather very quiet and seamless a driving experience.
                            Last edited by JB; 12-02-2019, 06:42 PM.
                            Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 2LT or 1LT depending on when i get the call..Ill flip a coin at that moment..same for E60

Comment

Induction chargers under the road make a LOT more sense than superchargers or "pantographs" like freaking bumper cars use. We need to replace lots of roads - why not put induction chargers into all of them. That would solve the EV battery problem. Either that or go to H2 - O2 fuel cells. The Apollo astronauts went only 250,000 miles on a couple of those, (although Apollo 13 had a a little problem with theirs, LOL !)

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X