Official C8 Build and Price, Visualizer, Pricing, and Ordering Information

Coupe Build/Price: https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...and-price/trim
*GM’s C8 Site: https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette
C8 Order Guide 11/1: https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NA...D=21905&type=0
Visualize Your C8:https://visualizer.chevrolet.com/ui?...US&channel=b2c
Also please look at our stickies in each of the four major C8 sections
See more
See less

R U disappointed the c8 is not in car and driver lightning lap this year. ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R U disappointed the c8 is not in car and driver lightning lap this year. ?

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...ning-lap-2019/

i am but fun article anyway.

enjoy
    Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 2LT or 1LT depending on when i get the call..Ill flip a coin at that moment..same for E60

The supra was a bit of a disappointment... i would have thought it would have done better than 3.01

ford mustang gt500 didnt show up and neither did the c8...

that was a bit of a disappointment in both counts...

maybe they couldnt make the timeline in advance...

really in my opinion proper comparisions dont soan the entire 13 year lightning lap as the track was resurfaced a few years back...

better when the comparision is during the same year event.

the mclaren 600LT did post an impressive 2.42 seconds this year and surprisingly its tire setup is relatively small...

very impressive performance...

well maybe there will be a mustang gt500 future track shootout with the c8 z51 fe4...

ford vs chevy and all
    Torch Red exterior/ black interior z51 FE4 2LT or 1LT depending on when i get the call..Ill flip a coin at that moment..same for E60

Comment

That is disappointing for the Supra, especially with all the reports about how it was power underrated.

That C63 AMG 4Matic Mercedes sure did well. I like it; if only around $160K were lying around in a drawer.
      Last edited by John; 10-12-2019, 02:05 PM.
      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Comment

Each of our five drivers is assigned vehicles to lap, but we cross-check our work by cycling into one another's cars.
        So wait, the lap times for different cars may be set by different drivers? That would seem to throw a huge variable into the mix. If every driver drives every car and they average the times or somesuch, fine, but the fact that driver A in car X was 3 seconds slower than driver B in car Y is meaningless. Is the difference the car, the driver or a combination of both? Is it that driver A isn't comfortable in that car, but would do much better in a different one?

I'm not sure what "cross check" means at all.
        Last edited by meyerweb; 10-12-2019, 02:21 PM.
        SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
        >35,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
          ...ford mustang gt500 didnt show up and neither did the c8...that was a bit of a disappointment in both counts...maybe they couldnt make the timeline in advance...
          Yeah, I wish they were in this year's LL too but I think you're right, the timing of the event was just a bit too early for them to attend. Oh well, there will be lots of other tests out soon!

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
          So wait, the lap times for different cars may be set by different drivers? That would seem to throw a huge variable into the mix. I'm not sure what "cross check" means at all.
          I assume (and we all know how valid that can be) that other drivers do some laps in other cars and if their laps are significantly different then they know they'll have to do some re-testing. I also assume that they have a certain confidence window and so long as different drivers' results are within that range then it's considered valid. Given the number of vehicles they test versus the amount of track time available, I guess they can't have one driver provide results for all cars. If nothing else, fatigue might set in since the concentration needed for high speed lapping can be demanding. But it might be a good idea if C&D described their procedure more thoroughly.

An example I'm more familiar with is when Grassroots Motorsports mag does tire testing. They usually have multiple drivers testing multiple tire brands (and sometimes on multiple cars) but they publish a table of full results so you can see if one driver is usually slower / faster than another, or not as consistent. But with the caliber of drivers they use (serious amateurs I guess is how you would put it) the times match up pretty well.

Comment

This may not be Corvette-related, but C&D's Lightning Lap of the McLaren Senna is an astonishing watch for any car enthusiast. Good grief that thing is face-meltingly fast! Talk about rearranging your internal organs in corners.

Interestingly enough, McLaren brought along a pro driver just to make sure their car got a good time, but it turned out the C&D driver (K.C. Colwell) was quicker.

Comment

Just for fun, the Weaver Trans Am Race car was turning 1:43 laps at VIR.

Comment

Yeah, once you step up to a real race car it's a whole new ball game, but for a street car (nominally) the Senna is pretty amazing.

Comment

I've got dashcam footage from my C7 at VIR that looks exactly like that.....

If I play it at double speed.
                  SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                  >35,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

Oh yea, forgot to mention, the weaver Trans Am race car that was Turning 1:43 at VIR was a pushrod motor. Cam in block, you know,,, the old stuff.

Comment

Thoughts to ponder
                      Mclaren Senna, 3029 pounds, 789 horsepower 4 cam 4 valve engine, DCT , active aero, maybe 700 lbs downforce, $975k VIR 2:34 lap
                      Current Trans Am race car, 2745 lbs with fuel and driver, 870 horsepower, pushrod 2valve V8 , 4 speed gated transmission solid rear axle. $250k
                      VIR 1:43 lap, agree that is on 14”wide rear and 12”wide front slicks. I think the huge difference in lap time of old school verses high tech is in the tires. Until we get larger tires on our street cars, we won’t be FAST. That is all, just thinking out loud.

Comment

The Ferrari Pista, with its 711 HP, has the identical tires as the 2020 Stingray. The average size of tires of ten major exotics (all “just” under $500K), is also the same as our C8.

Exceptions are few, but include the V12 Lambo’s that weight 4000 pounds and the Ford GT (and very few of those are being delivered under $500,000).

I would not be surprised if the C8 Z06 Corvette might not have any more than a 315 rear tire.
                        GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5ZZ high wing; 5VM vis CF ground effects pkg; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards.

Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20+ year members of National Corvette Museum.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                          The Ferrari Pista, with its 711 HP, has the identical tires as the 2020 Stingray. The average size of tires of ten major exotics (all “just” under $500K), is also the same as our C8.

Exceptions are few, but include the V12 Lambo’s that weight 4000 pounds and the Ford GT (and very few of those are being delivered under $500,000).

I would not be surprised if the C8 Z06 Corvette might not have any more than a 315 rear tire.
                          I agree with you about tire size on the C8 ZO6 but I’m trying to find the reason for a one minute difference in lap times for high tech cars vs old school 2 valve pushrod engines solid rear axles, 4 speed gated Trans. One minute,
                          maybe it’s race drivers vs magazine test drivers. Don’t know. Food for thought,,, for me

Comment

I think tire compound has more to do with it than tire size, although the width certainly helps, too. Those gum***** on the race car would probably last about 1,000 miles on the street. Combine that with no tread, and you've got a huge advantage in traction under braking, through the turns, and out of the turns. Braking later means accelerating longer on the straights = faster lap time. More traction (aided by what I suspect is a LOT more downforce out of that huge rear wing and front air ****) means higher cornering speeds = faster lap time, and which means the driver starts accelerating at a much higher speed coming out of the corner, meaning he gets down the straight quicker = faster lap times.

Then factor in less weight, more power and torque, suspension with far less compliance than you could tolerate on the road keeping the tire patch in contact with the pavement, and yes, better drivers.
                            Last edited by meyerweb; 10-14-2019, 02:41 PM.

Purchased 5/2/2015,
                            >35,000+ miles

Comment

Originally posted by Racer86 View Post

I agree with you about tire size on the C8 ZO6 but I’m trying to find the reason for a one minute difference in lap times for high tech cars vs old school 2 valve pushrod engines solid rear axles, 4 speed gated Trans. One minute,
                              maybe it’s race drivers vs magazine test drivers. Don’t know. Food for thought,,, for me
                              Common R86. You already know the answer to that.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X