Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 3 < >

CORVETTE TODAY #129 - Corvette News and Headlines, Early October 2022

Your CORVETTE TODAY host, Steve Garrett, and Keith Cornett from CorvetteBlogger team up once again to bring you the most current and up-to-date information on Corvette. It’s the CORVETTE TODAY News & Headlines show to start off October! https://youtu.be/NG7JwFGJf04; https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/corve...lUqQwp7DeopRJV
Here are some of the topics Steve and Keith will cover next week....
—The Bowling Green Assembly Plant ran a rare “2 shift Saturday” last weekend
--C8 Z06 embargo on driving impression ended last week
--Corvette’s average sale price is almost 20% over MRSP
--The 1st customer ordered Z06 was built last week
--Is Ford benchmarking the C8 Z06?
--Road & Track magazine is now testing the C8 Z06
--Detroit News readers name the C8 Corvette “Best in Show” at Detroit Auto Show
--The new “Driven By Design” exhibit opens at the NCM
CORVETTE TODAY is the only current podcast on Corvette! And our News & Headlines show continues to be your best source of Corvette news in the industry.
Visit the CORVETTE TODAY website, listen to the show, watch the YouTube video, shop in the Merchandise Store, sign up for weekly emails and join the Facebook Group at:
www.CorvetteToday.com
2 of 3 < >

Z06 Auto-Media Testing Results & Impressions

This is our one thread: Thanks for putting all your posts within it: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...eviews-results
3 of 3 < >

2023 Corvette Info Including SR Pricing, SR 2023 Visualizer, 70th Anniversary SR/Z06 Press Release; The C8 Z06 Press Release, Order Guide & Its Visualizer Link

See more
See less

GM Announces Recommended Principles on EPA Emissions Standards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM Announces Recommended Principles on EPA Emissions Standards

Well, some people aren't going to like this at all.

https://www.edf.org/media/gm-and-edf...027-and-beyond

GM and EDF Announce Recommended Principles on EPA Emissions Standards for Model Year 2027 and Beyond

Guidelines are designed to accelerate shared goal of a zero-emissions, all-electric future

WASHINGTON, D.C. —General Motors and Environmental Defense Fund today announced a set of recommendations that seek to accelerate a zero-emissions, all-electric future for passenger vehicles in model year 2027 and beyond.

The recommendations were jointly developed by GM and EDF to support the next tier of EPA clean car standards. GM and EDF encourage EPA to establish standards aimed at ensuring that at least 50% of new vehicles sold by 2030 are zero emitting, while achieving at least a 60% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions in model year 2030, and dramatically reducing nitrogen oxides and particulates, consistent with eliminating tailpipe pollution from new passenger vehicles by 2035.

These specific, joint principles announced by the largest U.S. automaker and a leading environmental organization demonstrate historic progress toward clean transportation. We look forward to working with EPA on incorporating these principles into the next generation of national tailpipe emission standards.

“General Motors has the ultimate goal of eliminating tailpipe emissions from new light duty vehicles by 2035,” said GM Chair and CEO Mary Barra. “As new standards are being developed, we are pleased to join the Environmental Defense Fund to provide recommendations that support accelerated adoption of electric vehicles to put us on the path toward that goal.”

“GM and EDF are joining together to advocate for EPA standards that will move America to zero pollution from new cars and SUVs by 2035,” said Fred Krupp, president, EDF. “That will mean heathier communities, a safer climate for all, and turbocharging U.S. manufacturing and jobs.”

Outlined below, GM and EDF propose principles that: focus on a path to a zero-emissions, all-electric future that eliminates tailpipe emissions from new light-duty vehicles by 2035, provide certainty for automakers and communities, seek performance-based and multipollutant standards reflecting EPA’s long-standing approach to vehicle emission standards, support underserved and socially vulnerable communities, offer a compliance pathway that supports accelerated EV adoption, and encourage coordination between the Environmental Protection Agency and the Department of Transportation.

Shared Principles on EPA Tier 4 Standards for Model Year 2027 and Later Vehicles
    • Standards should achieve protective, science-based emission reductions reflecting the availability of zero-emitting vehicle technology. Standards should help to ensure at least 50% of new vehicles sold by 2030 are zero-emissions vehicles and be consistent with eliminating tailpipe pollution from new passenger vehicles by 2035. Standards should also encompass class 2b and 3 vehicles, consistent with President Biden’s Executive Order. New light-duty vehicle standards along these lines should achieve at least a fleetwide 60% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions in model year 2030, compared to model year 2021.
    • Standards should be proposed this year and adopted next year, providing stability and certainty for manufacturers beyond 2030. Standards should be proposed in the fall of 2022 and finalized in the fall of 2023. Standards should extend until at least 2032 and EPA should consider adoption through 2035, securing deep pollution reductions and providing a stable investment signal and regulatory certainty for manufacturers.
    • Standards should be designed in a manner consistent with EPA’s long-standing regulation of emissions from new motor vehicles. Standards should be multipollutant, reflecting the ability of zero-emissions vehicles to deliver reductions in greenhouses gases, nitrogen oxides and particles. Standards should be performance-based and build from EPA’s existing and long-standing approach to regulate pollution from automobiles, including assigning zero emissions to vehicles that have no tailpipe emissions. Designing standards in this manner will likewise help to support their timely adoption and durability.
    • Standards should be designed to enhance equity. Standards should be designed to ensure the benefits of pollution reductions are shared equitably and support those underserved and socially vulnerable communities disproportionately impacted by climate change. Standards must also ensure that greater adoption of zero-emissions vehicles does not interfere with further per-vehicle emission reductions from new internal combustion engine vehicles.​​​​​​
    • Standards should incorporate an innovation opt-in compliance pathway for multipollutant reductions. A voluntary, transparent and enforceable opt-in pathway for innovative manufacturers could accelerate deployment of new zero-emissions vehicles even more rapidly while rewarding leadership, providing stability for major investments, and ensuring durable outcomes in reducing climate and air pollution.
    • Complementary public and equitable investments. GM and EDF are committed to collaborating on national and state manufacturing, consumer, infrastructure, equity and worker training investments such as the incentives in the Bipartisan Infrastructure Legislation and Inflation Reduction Act supporting the transition to zero-emitting vehicles and working with key policymakers to mobilize such incentives. GM and EDF are collaborating to support actions that will help ensure zero-emitting vehicle goals are met, and that the infrastructure and the health and economic benefits of this transition are fully available and accessible to all. GM and EDF also recognize the importance of building sustainable, just and socially responsible supply chains to meet these goals.
    • Coordination. President Biden’s Executive Order on Strengthening American Leadership in Clean Cars and Trucks recognizes the importance of coordination, as appropriate and consistent with applicable law, to draw on the expertise of various agencies and leading states. Coordination between EPA and DOT in carrying out their respective rulemaking responsibilities can help to accelerate innovation and manufacturing in the automotive sector, strengthen the domestic supply chain and grow jobs that provide good pay and benefits. By avoiding interference between the EPA and DOT programs, the nation’s resources can be focused on eliminating tailpipe greenhouse gas emissions and all tailpipe pollution through an affordable ZEV fleet that will achieve healthier air and help mitigate climate change, save drivers money at the gas pump, strengthen energy security, and provide clarity and coordination in achieving President Biden’s goals for our nation.

Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Naturalw/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust, MRR 755 Gunmetal wheels

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

There are approximately 1350 Active Volcano's in the world which spew out extreme amounts of hydrocarbons and I don't see them scrubbing their emissions.

Article thanks to Forbes (Interesting)
    https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=78eae...BpdGVtcw&ntb=1

Every volcanic eruption that occurs on planet Earth is full of pollutants. Not just ash and dust, mind you, but also carbon dioxide: one of the strongest greenhouse gases on our planet. In the largest cases, a single volcanic plume, lasting only hours, might add many millions of tons of carbon dioxide to the atmosphere. Could it be the case, then, that individual volcanoes add more carbon dioxide to our atmosphere than human activity does? To find the answer, we've got to look to the scientific data. (See Link Above for Full Article)
    Last edited by Frenzy36; 09-22-2022, 01:07 PM.
    Rocket City Florida - 2013 427 Vert - 2015 ZO6 - 2020 Stingray

Comment

Originally posted by Frenzy36 View Post
      There are approximately 1350 Active Volcano's in the world which spew out extreme amounts of hydrocarbons and I don't see them scrubbing their emissions.
      Some things we can do something about, some things we can't. Are you suggesting that because we can't eliminate every hydrocarbon we shouldn't do anything about any?

Los Angeles, almost every day, before the EPA:

Click image for larger version

Name:	smog-pall-Los-Angeles-California-areas-automobiles-November-2016.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	413079
      Last edited by meyerweb; 09-22-2022, 01:03 PM.
      Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Naturalw/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust, MRR 755 Gunmetal wheels

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

Some things we can do something about, some things we can't. Are you suggesting that because we can't eliminate every hydrocarbon we shouldn't do anything about any?

Los Angeles, almost every day, before the EPA:

Name:	smog-pall-Los-Angeles-California-areas-automobiles-November-2016.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	413079
        No I am not saying that at all. - If you actually read the article I posted - I will break it down for you - Humans only contribute to 1% or less of hydrocarbons and CO2.
        We have the ability to scrub CO2 and emissions from volcanoe's however we don't. Maybe not enough $$$$ in it ? Just food for thought nothing more.

Comment

This chart shows the effect of the industrial revolution on CO2 levels….

Click image for larger version  Name:	D84C0403-1601-498B-874E-8AF135C1F9A4.png Views:	0 Size:	87.9 KB ID:	413102
          Last edited by Meldoon; 09-22-2022, 01:59 PM.
          I’m goin’ driving 👍

Comment

Originally posted by Meldoon View Post
            This chart shows the effect of the industrial revolution………

Name:	D84C0403-1601-498B-874E-8AF135C1F9A4.png
Views:	86
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	413102
            Sorry - However that only shows CO2 levels - Where it came from is completely unknown. For them to say it is from the industrial revolution is absurd.

Here is part of the above article I posted-

Yes, we've accurately measured and estimated the amount of carbon dioxide that humans have been adding to the atmosphere through our burning of fossil fuels, but it's vital to know what the natural rate of CO2 emission is to understand the impact humans are having. Humans emit around 29 billion tons of CO2 each year: a little less than 1% of present atmospheric CO2. We tend to think of erupting volcanoes with active, smoking plumes as the biggest source of carbon dioxide

Comment

Originally posted by Frenzy36 View Post

Sorry - However that only shows CO2 levels - Where it came from is completely unknown. For them to say it is from the industrial revolution is absurd.

Here is part of the above article I posted-

Yes, we've accurately measured and estimated the amount of carbon dioxide that humans have been adding to the atmosphere through our burning of fossil fuels, but it's vital to know what the natural rate of CO2 emission is to understand the impact humans are having. Humans emit around 29 billion tons of CO2 each year: a little less than 1% of present atmospheric CO2. We tend to think of erupting volcanoes with active, smoking plumes as the biggest source of carbon dioxide
              Here is another article on effects of ice caps melting and the effect it has or had on volcanic activity …….living planet 🌏

https://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/...ps-and-glacial
              I’m goin’ driving 👍

Comment

[QUOTE=Frenzy36;n413104]

This guy is far more qualified than I to make the point. I think he disagrees with your statement.

https://keelingcurve.ucsd.edu/2018/0...an-activities/
                I’m goin’ driving 👍

Comment

Human activity has upset the ecological balance of the planet through things like widespread deforestation and paving the planet. For example an enormous Amazon jungle used to consume a huge percentage of the planet's natural carbon emissions, and it is rapidly disappearing. Humans have altered the balance of natural systems that used keep carbon emissions in equilibrium. The definition of "human activity" is often flawed in these analyses showing smallish human contribution to the problem.

I honestly believe we have passed the point of no return, but I think humans have to try. It's not a matter of "saving the planet," because it will still be here, but the human species may slowly die off.
                  Last edited by Foosh; 09-22-2022, 02:25 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Thanks Meldoon - So in reading those articles- Humans have little to no effect on Saving the Planet so to speak.

(Clip from your article) - When volcanoes erupt, they release more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, creating a cycle that speeds up the warming process.

Comment

Originally posted by Foosh View Post
                      Human activity has upset the ecological balance of the planet through things like widespread deforestation and paving the planet. For example an enormous Amazon jungle used to consume a huge percentage of the planet's natural carbon emissions, and it is rapidly disappearing. Humans have altered the balance of natural systems that used keep carbon emissions in equilibrium. The definition of "human activity" is often flawed in these analyses showing smallish human contribution to the problem.

I honestly believe we have passed the point of no return, but I think humans have to try. It's not a matter of "saving the planet," because it will still be here, but the human species may slowly die off.
                      We all have our beliefs - But if humans are causing the problem - should we be getting rid of them? Or is the simple answer scrub the output of volcano emissions? We could definitely do that.

Comment

I don’t think there are any simple answers. But I do think we have to do what we can. It looks like most that are in positions of power believe that as well. The planet will be fine, at some point though, it may no longer support human life. I would love to see actual progress made in my lifetime.
                        I’m goin’ driving 👍

Comment

Originally posted by Meldoon View Post
                          I don’t think there are any simple answers. But I do think we have to do what we can. It looks like most that are in positions of power believe that as well. The planet will be fine, at some point though, it may no longer support human life. I would love to see actual progress made in my lifetime.
                          Unfortunately there are millions of planets that we know do not support human life - could earth be next ? I do not believe it is in our control, it can easily eliminate us if it wishes. Till then - may we all enjoy our time here and drive the wheels off our vehicles. I for one will pass on EV's for the time being - I'm sure WAY down the road EV's will evolve into something spectacular at which time I may purchase one. Or will we be forced to purchase them? Surely the auto industry is being forced into making them.

Comment

The only way any of this can really change is fewer people on the planet. Humans demand goods and services and providing those has many undesirable impacts, far beyond CO2.

In the 1600’s it is estimated there were about 500,000,000 humans on the planet; by the year 2000 that had increased to approx. 6,000,000,000, a 12 fold increase!

Fewer people having fewer children is the only way any of this really changes. Sadly some the areas of the world that can least afford children have the highest birth rates.
                            2023 SRC Silver Flare 3LT, Z51, FE4 Mag ride, E60 Front lift, TVS low spoiler, 38S red stitching, 3F9 red belts, J6N edge red calipers, RCC edge red engine cover, a few other goodies

4/30/21 initial deposit; 3/24/22 1100; 6/16/22 2000; 6/21/22 3000; 6/23/22 3100; 6/24/22 3300 and TPW of 7/18/22; 7/18/22 3400; 7/19/22 VIN; 7/21/22 4000; 7/29/22 5000; 7/30/22 6000

Comment

Loss of the rain forest is truly tragic. I worked at a state nursery for my career and grew trees for reforestation an urban planting. I’m definitely not against saving the environment. I wish we would expend as much effort to preserve the rainforest as we are on cutting tailpipe emissions.
                              I still think some of the current push has to do with money but how do you prove that. There is going to be a lot of disruption of the environment with more mining and refining which also leads to pollution.
                              If nothing else I’d like to see more immediate implementation of updates to the power grid and electric generation facilities. Wind and solar are nice ideas but the only way to get non co2 producing electricity is to go nuclear. Perfect answer, no.
                              I wish us all the best but I think it’s going to be a mess for a while.
                              There is a madness to my method!
                              2023 Torch/Adrenaline Z51, MSRC, front lift
                              2015 Z06 Torch/adrenaline
                              2001 coupe Torch/oak R8C
                              79 coupe Silver/oyster
                              All one owner
                              Museum lifetime members

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X